White smoke on start up still. Help!😖

sn8kes

I've fixed all other issues that's become of my quest but this one. And have been trying to fix this issue for awhile now. When starting the car- there's white thick smoke.

Smells sweet- goes away after driving for 30-40 seconds. If I idle does show itself. Turn the car off and start again after 10-15 sec down time and smoke.

Oil looks good. No milky/chalky

Oil pressure is good.

What's been done-

Block & Head has been Magna Fluxed

Resurfaced deck & head

New Pistons, rings, rods, cam, valve stems, seals, lifters, bearings, seals.

Fel Pro Gasket set.

New stock turbo.

Installed new turbo today. Started up and BAM!!- still the white smoke.

I'm lost at this point and don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So after checking compression. Put back together and started up. Smoke didn't happen on start up this time. Took about min-min n half to start smoking. And steady. Have ideling for about 5-6 min and steady white smoke. Temp is normal at this point.

Anyplace engine coolant flows is a potential leak - not just the head and block parts. Think about the intake manifold, or a poorly installed intake manifold gasket, or leaks inside the turbo, or leaks between the base of the throttle body and intake manifold. If the gasket surfaces of the intake manifold are not flat then the gaskets won't be able to do their job and you'll have leaks. The base of the throttle body and side of the cyl head also have to be dead flat for the same reason. Folks that don't properly remove ALL traces of old gaskets end up with leaks.

Improperly torqued cyl head bolts can lead to leaks around the head gasket. With only 90 psi compression pressure something is amiss on the basic engine parts: block, head, head gasket, pistons, cam timing, etc. If the head bolts were installed into dirty holes, or if some oil collected in the bottom of the holes (oil in the bottom of the holes leads to "hydraulic lock" preventing the bolt from turning in as far as it should - as though the hole were too shallow), then the torque reading is false and the head isn't installed correctly. Thus the head gasket won't be working properly.

Are you holding the throttle wide open during the compression test? If not, you may get lower than correct readings. And inexpensive compression gauges are often not accurate.

mike c.

I did not hold the throttle all the way open when performing the test. I have ARP studs not bolts. Not sure if that could still cause the issue your talking about. Intake and exhaust side were checked by the machinist I used to get the work done. I didn't change the gasket on the throttle body though. That is the only gasket I haven't changed. I'm gonna do another compression test holding foot to floor and repost results.

The ARP head studs & nuts are supposed to be installed with an ARP lube or engine oil lube and then torqued to a different (higher if I remember correctly) value than the factory style head bolt torque spec. Without that lube, screw thread friction and friction between the nut & washer & cyl head post will be excessive while torquing the nuts... i.e. the head bolt+nut assembly will actually be too loose due to the extra friction. Which in turn means the head gasket isn't clamped/compressed enough to do its job properly.

Got an air compressor? Rig up a connection to a screw-in style compression gauge fitting. Remove the spark plugs and then rotate the engine so the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. Stick the transmission into 4th or 5th gear (stick-shift), set the parking brake and chock the wheels; for auto transmission cars you'll need to attach a beefy wrench to the crank pulley bolt and hold it - keeping the engine from turning in the next step. Then screw the fitting into the #1 spark plug hole and slowly dial up the compressor pressure. Open the radiator cap and look for signs of bubbles in the coolant. No bubbles? Lower the compressor pressure and disconnect the fitting from the spark plug hole, rotate the engine 90 degrees (transmission in neutral for this step of course) so cyl #3 is at top dead center, and test that cyl. Then test cyl 4, then cyl 2 last with the same techniques, rotating the engine 90 degrees between cylinders.

If you find one or more cylinders that let compressed air into the coolant you've narrowed down the leak source as block/head/head gasket related. If no cylinder seems to leak, then the problem is more likely in the intake manifold or turbo.

mike c.