sloppy torque tube

importwarrior

You can put a new bearing in but the extension shaft has been NLA for years, I bought a socket coupling a few years back so you might find one of those.

I cleaned and repacked my TT splines a few years back. It did help a lot. I need to pick up the diff side coupler and try one of the other TT I have to see if I can get things back in spec.

Is anybody perusing getting them reproduced?

The female splines are welded onto the shaft. Could they be cut off and new splines welded back on? That might be easier/cheaper than making the whole shaft.

Were they nitrided originally?

• 2 weeks later...
This might be a stupid question, but is it at all possible to eliminate the torque tube altogether and just run a longer driveshaft or something? Not being under the car as I type this I don't know what clearance issues, etc there would be but since it is IRS you don't really have pinion angle to worry about.

If I remember correctly the reason for the torque tube was to allow for the correct angle of the drive shaft while clearing the chassis. I believe someone looked at deleting the torque tube and concluded that it would foul the underside of the chassis.

Try pittsburgh driveline. They rebuilt a tt for my friends tsi last year made a new shaft and spline setup on his. Cost him about 450$

Thats a good idea. i will have to look in to that.