Compression test results on fresh rebuild

'87quest

I just got 500 miles on my new engine and felt like doing a compression test. First of all I rebuilt the engine this past winter with forged wisecos, balanced rods, crank turned 10/10, block honed and decked, ajusa head gasket, arp head studs, new m28 head from Randy, new stainless valves and Schneider valve springs. All the machining and head assembly was done by a very reputable machine shop. Me and my future father in law (machinist of 25 years) assembled everything. The car has been running great so far (other than a few pita power steering leaks) but I felt like trying out my new compression tester. My results were 110, 105, 107, 111. I was expecting them to be more around 130-140ish... Should I be worried?? I had the throttle wide open when cranking and all plugs pulled btw. Or maybe my cheap US General compression tester kit isn't very accurate? Thanks in advance guys.. Hopefully I'm stressing over nothing!

Drake

Engine was fairly warm, yes throttle was wide open, pulled all plugs, did not pour oil into the cylinders. I don't think it could be the rings.. I have no blow by or anything, no smoke.

Cam isn't off, timing is set at 10 BTDC. Thats what I was thinking too Randy.. I've been reading some reviews of my harbor freight compression tester and a lot of guys have complained that it reads low compared to a high quality tester, so I'm hoping thats the case and will borrow/buy a better one this week.

importwarrior you should probably read the whole post man lol. He mentions that he did.

I must had eye problems I didn't see if he mention it being hot or cold in the O.P.

I just got 500 miles on my new engine and felt like doing a compression test. First of all I rebuilt the engine this past winter with forged wisecos, balanced rods, crank turned 10/10, block honed and decked, ajusa head gasket, arp head studs, new m28 head from Randy, new stainless valves and Schneider valve springs. All the machining and head assembly was done by a very reputable machine shop. Me and my future father in law (machinist of 25 years) assembled everything. The car has been running great so far (other than a few pita power steering leaks) but I felt like trying out my new compression tester. My results were 110, 105, 107, 111. I was expecting them to be more around 130-140ish... Should I be worried?? I had the throttle wide open when cranking and all plugs pulled btw. Or maybe my cheap US General compression tester kit isn't very accurate? Thanks in advance guys.. Hopefully I'm stressing over nothing!

Drake

Engine was fairly warm, yes throttle was wide open, pulled all plugs, did not pour oil into the cylinders. I don't think it could be the rings.. I have no blow by or anything, no smoke.

Could try it just for diagnostic purposes it would help narrow down the issue. I have see the Harbor Freight testers read low too. Definitely worth a double check with the better one.

I have 2 compression testers and they both give different readings. What I found was the tester with a 12" hose reads lower than the short one you press into the plug hole. They read about 30 psi different. The short one is more accurate but requires more skill to hold it in place to get a good seal on the plug hole.

I've also had testers (even the same one) read wildly different. You should grab another one and take readings again. I took some fittings and made an adapter to connect the tester to my compressor and found one was reading about 30 low.

I rebuilt my motor and got about 120 all around? Cant remembember the exact amount, it was low. Then I realized I have aftermarket pistons. Aftermarket producers tend to make their pistons have a lower compression ratio for some reason. Just a thought.