turbo Montero

twojayzeestarion

So the km145 and the km132 are pretty much the same transmission minus tail piece. Guys on here when they rebuild their km want parts from monteros as they are convinced it's a stronger tranny. Yet guys on 4x4wire want starion internals as they believe the 132 is better. So expect same results as a starion.

Regardless of power, the magic number for these trans eating the input shaft bearing is about 200k. Mine died at 185k behind the stock 90hp motor.

Seeing as this one has 150k already, regardless of what motor you run, be aware that you might need to buy a tranny. If your not ok with that, find a super low mileage one. Finding a good used tranny is tough. I tried as do many. A Kormex Transmissions rebuilt unit shipped off ebay is 750.

There's no prefered option as there's no easy swap. Any one requires full custom work and regearing. Plus most ditch the g54b way before the front IFS, so the axle is tailored to to engine, be it Chevy 4.3, some v8, mitsu 3.8, and on plus whichever side the chosen transfer case diff is.

If you plan on wheeling, then the front axle should be your last concern with the montero. I've wheeled with Jeeps with nothing but a body lift and 33s. Plenty of near free wheeling mods before says too.

Get a gen2 rear axle with an air locking diff plus disk brakes and pair with a starquest lsd up front. 4inches of lift is available at the u pull as is a gen2 big brake swap, gen 2 gear box, control arms, and other suspension components. Ditch the carb for your efi quest motor to make it run at all angles. Grab some 1989 skid plates or make Some and run a snorkel out of pvc piping. For $1800 you've now gone where most solid axle $6K jeeps cant.

Lol what are you doing and where are you going with this thing?

Looking at a mere 180 flywheel horsepower muddled through a crap starion tranny, transfer case, divided between two axles aka 4 wheels turning 28'+ tires... No. You'd have to be doing 6k rpm clutch drops, and the axles won't be the only thing breaking.

Yes guys have broken axles, control arms, u joints, tie rods, and so much more. Its never really too much power that breaks these things. Its trucks being pushed beyond the limits. You can stick a 60hp s

Suzuki samurai on the Rubicon, and one bad move will break things.

Everything I mentioned above is a very common setup on 4x4wire and very proven. I have most of that stuff minus the two lockers, and will have those this spring.

So the km145 and the km132 are pretty much the same transmission minus tail piece. Guys on here when they rebuild their km want parts from monteros as they are convinced it's a stronger tranny. Yet guys on 4x4wire want starion internals as they believe the 132 is better. So expect same results as a starion.

Regardless of power, the magic number for these trans eating the input shaft bearing is about 200k. Mine died at 185k behind the stock 90hp motor.

Seeing as this one has 150k already, regardless of what motor you run, be aware that you might need to buy a tranny. If your not ok with that, find a super low mileage one. Finding a good used tranny is tough. I tried as do many. A Kormex Transmissions rebuilt unit shipped off ebay is 750.

The starion trans is stronger. Never heard of anyone here wanting montero or MM parts in their trans. However the montero and MM guys use starion trans parts to beef up their trans.

I have a starion trans with 90k on it and a bad input shaft bearing. It's extremely common on starion transmissions. So common that I've yet to see a starion trans with a good input bearing. Makes me wonder if the bearings went bad or the rear of the input shaft isn't properly shimmed from the factory. Not sure if that holds true for all KM transmissions.

My turbo Raider is at 220k+ miles and going strong (knocks wood) on the 5-speed. It's only a non-IC low boost stock engine from an 85 Starion though. Been swapped for maybe 20k miles. No clue what mileage driveline components have or what is original....picked it up at almost 200k. Angel Carlo and Shelby built a TB then later MPI Montero several years ago and never had driveline issues I heard of. The Tainter boys also had a MPI BIG turbo (60-1 I think) Montero many years ago that I guarantee was beat on (pretty sure they even ran it on the track a few times) and they towed with it. Also a 5-speed I believe. Maybe some of the older members have more info on that one. Haven't spoken with the Tainter's in a couple years.

That being said...the tranny is an undeniable weak link and why I keep one on the shelf....but I have been extremely pleased with mine. Has some chatter in 3rd and 5th when lugging in gear, but still shifts great. 32" tires. Haven't abused it but it's certainly been off-roaded. No rock crawling.

Edited by jonboyb

You don't have to use an NA pump (although I did). You can extend and modify the pickup tube for a turbo pump to fit in the Gen 1 oil pan. Plenty of guys have done it. That being said, the oil pressure in my Raider is pretty much identical to my SQ's. If the turbo pump was really a super-duper high volume pump it seems to reason that it "should" read a little higher pressure too since the oil is traveling the exact same galleries and orifices. Edited by jonboyb

You don't have to use an NA pump (although I did). You can extend and modify the pickup tube for a turbo pump to fit in the Gen 1 oil pan. Plenty of guys have done it. That being said, the oil pressure in my Raider is pretty much identical to my SQ's. If the turbo pump was really a super-duper high volume pump it seems to reason that it "should" read a little higher pressure too since the oil is traveling the exact same galleries and orifices.

Remember the "turbo" pump feeds a turbo and oil squirters. 2 things the NA engine didn't have.

My turbo Raider is at 220k+ miles and going strong (knocks wood) on the 5-speed. It's only a non-IC low boost stock engine from an 85 Starion though. Been swapped for maybe 20k miles. No clue what mileage driveline components have or what is original....picked it up at almost 200k. Angel Carlo and Shelby built a TB then later MPI Montero several years ago and never had driveline issues I heard of. The Tainter boys also had a MPI BIG turbo (60-1 I think) Montero many years ago that I guarantee was beat on (pretty sure they even ran it on the track a few times) and they towed with it. Also a 5-speed I believe. Maybe some of the older members have more info on that one. Haven't spoken with the Tainter's in a couple years.

That being said...the tranny is an undeniable weak link and why I keep one on the shelf....but I have been extremely pleased with mine. Has some chatter in 3rd and 5th when lugging in gear, but still shifts great. 32" tires. Haven't abused it but it's certainly been off-roaded. No rock crawling.

he he that 87 did more then it's share of mud and rock climbing , and at one time was pushing near 300 hp

There are no n/a or turbo water pumps. It's the same pump just with or without a nipple (funny as the plain is $17 and the nipple makes it 40$). 87? and on cars have a nipple while older cars got the same pump as monteros just with a bypass pipe with an extra port.

I keep hearing all this speculation on how the starion oil pump might flow more oil without any form,of evidence, just guesses. I run the montero oil pump with excellent oil pressure. It's weird how people on here get so defensive about porting and having heads flow tested for proof, yet will openly guess on oil flow.

It's your call on the oilpump. If you. have a fully assembled starion block and you did the timing recently, it would be easier to swap oil pans and modify the pickup tube. Me, for example, I was doing the timing a d balance shaft delete, so the oil pump was off anyway, So bolting on the na pump was way easier. No modifications to make or pickup tube o ring to mess with.