I am now Mopar street racer supreme!!

JohnnyWadd

Thats awesome, how can you tell if a motor just needs a headgasket and they didnt keep running the car after it blew? Thats what I did to my SQ after I blew the HG and I trashed the whole motor :D

I did a chemical block test and it had exhaust gas in the coolant. So for sure head gasket leak, no need to play around with all that looking at dipstick for foam and looking for steam in exhaust and looking for deposits on plugs and in coolant overflow. The MLS gasket on these cars fails from 100k and up and the PO told me he didn't over heat it. But I suspect it got hot a few times , because he got a ridiculous quote from his mechanic for a new head gasket after having it at a shop for a week trying to find the occasion overheat issue. If it was warped from a long overheat it would have coolant and oil mix, and it didn't have that yet. So the main way to tell if it had not been heated to death was that and inspect the head gasket and straight edge the surface of the head. That POS OEM gasket leaks between the metal layers. Head was straight so copper spray and new head gasket and new bolts and its better than new. Literally.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

My exgf had a 1st gen neon. Engines would start to leak around 80K. Chenged the head gasket before it blew and while in there replaced the water pump too. Car is still running. See it/her every once in a while.lol

I see they got an extra 20K out of the newer engine before it started leaking.

Edited by 87redcat

My exgf had a 1st gen neon. Engines would start to leak around 80K. Chenged the head gasket before it blew and while in there replaced the water pump too. Car is still running. See it/her every once in a while.lol

I see they got an extra 20K out of the newer engine before it started leaking.

I guess it varies. Some are running around at 160 on the original gasket. But they might be driving around town only and never see the overheat.

• 2 months later...