"Aux In" Mod

I would also like to get this done. I'm sure with your great write up I could handle it, but got bigger fish to fry on my project. Can you let me know if you are offering this service also?

I know what you mean. Things are just as hectic over here. I'm sending you a PM now. I'm entirely open to helping some fellows out.

- Charles

Great write up. Unfortunately no more stock deck although that may have been covered? Are there not products that T into the antenna for a direct splice input; say from headphone jack? May or may not still need to set a frequency for that?

I've got the USB charger low power transmitter but quality stinks.

Great write up. Unfortunately no more stock deck although that may have been covered? Are there not products that T into the antenna for a direct splice input; say from headphone jack? May or may not still need to set a frequency for that?

I've got the USB charger low power transmitter but quality stinks.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking. The tape deck is still entirely usable providing your drive belts aren't old and sticky. This mod doesn't tap into the tape deck. It taps into the inputs for the EQ. No station need be selected. It overrides all antenna signal.

If you do this mod, I don't know why you'd want to tap into the antenna. Its be a dirtier and weaker signal than this.

As for the voltage step down, I came up with a slightly different setup than originally. I will update the thread when I test it out. The original power method was too dirty and caused the input to be staticy. So, I spent the extra few dollars and got a proper step down with two USB inputs so hopefully the power will be cleaner.

- Charles

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking. The tape deck is still entirely usable providing your drive belts aren't old and sticky. This mod doesn't tap into the tape deck. It taps into the inputs for the EQ. No station need be selected. It overrides all antenna signal.

If you do this mod, I don't know why you'd want to tap into the antenna. Its be a dirtier and weaker signal than this.

As for the voltage step down, I came up with a slightly different setup than originally. I will update the thread when I test it out. The original power method was too dirty and caused the input to be staticy. So, I spent the extra few dollars and got a proper step down with two USB inputs so hopefully the power will be cleaner.

- Charles

My stock stereo is gone as it quit years ago and I'm using a single DIN JVC CD unit currently. My current experiences in my other car using a small band FM transmitter gives a weak signal muddied with interferance and squealing. I found what I failed to describe well previously:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Radio-Stereo-RCA-AUX-Input-Audio-Adapter-Wired-FM-Modulator-Antenna-Port-/390583451035?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af0967d9b&vxp=mtr

http://www.deluxe-item.com/interface.jpg

Ah. I see what you're talking about. That was the way to go before AUX in was really available. You can always rig up an AUX in with your current radio. Newer aftermarkets seem to be a bit easier to tap into.

- Charles

LOVE a good clean hardware hack, I can get into this. Wish I had this info a couple years back when I put in an FM Modulator to connect my phone or iPods. That works, but nowhere near as well as this does. The way the player behaves regarding source signal stability and prioritizing the signal from the device is just icing on the cake. You know your stuff, nightwalker.

Hey I got a question about fixing the buttons on the face of the stock unit??....My "light" or night light button will not stay clicked down. Some other buttons don't work either....However I may just have to find a better used unit to start with.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm glad you're all enjoying the mod!

Laodicea...it's entirely possible to fix the unit you have. They're just simple toggle and tactile Switches. Sometimes the spring inside them falls out of its track that keeps them clicked down. It's up to you if you'd rather fix it or buy another good unit. I can fix it for you if you want to go that route. Just send me a PM and we'll figure something out :)

- Charles

If i had know this article exist? I could have helped out. 15 years ago i did preamp outs from the radio. Some where in my house i have the full Mitsubishi schematic of the radio head unit. Back when i use to repair them for friends with starions & conquest. I even made a hand held remote control to change station & volume etc.