Roadsters anyone?

Malykaii

So since scoring a quality job I've been on the hunt for either another car or replacement. Mitsu and mustang aren't exactly the most classy and tastefull. I've posted before and taken/considered all your advise from BMW to s60r and even cts-v. Ive even considered an old town car, but that's more pimpin then nice.

So what's the deal with the old roadsters, particularly english? Classy spoke wheels, wood dash boards, plenty of chrome, leather (or swap in some land rover seats from a u pull it)...

They are cheap, almost too cheap. I'm seeing projects from 700$, drivers from $1,500 and even freshly painted restos from $3k. Parts are all available on rock auto for cheap. Plenty of aftermarket support. Is there something I'm missing?

So since scoring a quality job I've been on the hunt for either another car or replacement. Mitsu and mustang aren't exactly the most classy and tastefull. I've posted before and taken/considered all your advise from BMW to s60r and even cts-v. Ive even considered an old town car, but that's more pimpin then nice.

So what's the deal with the old roadsters, particularly english? Classy spoke wheels, wood dash boards, plenty of chrome, leather (or swap in some land rover seats from a u pull it)...

They are cheap, almost too cheap. I'm seeing projects from 700$, drivers from $1,500 and even freshly painted restos from $3k. Parts are all available on rock auto for cheap. Plenty of aftermarket support. Is there something I'm missing?

ban

:P

I'm assuming you're looking at something like a tr6 or an MGB? Theyre neat, fun little cars. But they are maintenance pits. Pretty easy to work on IF you can find the parts. Big if.

And by maintenance pits, I mean worse than our cars. I used to do fetch work at a shop that specialized in old euros... The English roadsters were in once a month, if not more often. So, expect to be fixing it every 2 weeks, even if it's a top quality full resto.

Other than that, they're good cars. Fun to drive, and they can be pretty quick. I'd run one as a weekend car, but not as a daily.

one of my old bosses had a MG Miget. 74. drove it about once a month and spent the rest of the time looking for someone to work on it.

he took me for a short ride one day, was very small for me. I'm 6 ft and felt cramped.

Ha ha ha, well I never said mitsu wasn't cool or fun... But it isn't classy. Dsm, quest, montero, d50, all great cars, but not refined.

Intentions? Well I already have a very reliable dd (gt mustang). It gets a lot of attention, but from the 16under crowd. Just want a toy. Something presentable to drive to brunch, a bar, and once a week to work. A Sunday driver.

By old, well 60s-70s. I was thinking triumph spit fire or MGBgt. Leaning towards the gt for the hard top. Tr6 doesn't look bad either, just pricey. MG midget maybe?

Texas, I'm only looking at models that have high procuction numbers. (I bet parts for an MGA or Sunbeam must be hell to find) I just went on rock auto and they seem to list every part I could need down to every window and door seal.

Viper, did you,notice anything in particular that was problematic? Or are they Just old and temperamental like 60s muscle?

I don't mind unreliable as this is just a toy. I don't need a roadster, just a nice shnazzy car. So if you guys say they are really that bad, any other car suggestions?

Edited by Malykaii

Why not a Fiat Spider? Way easier to find parts, DOHC motor, 4 disc brakes

They look good with the crap 5mph bumper removed

Mine before I added custom bumpers

http://i.imgur.com/r1Z8YU3.png

Edited by leesfer
  • Like 1

Check out a 90's BMW Z3 roadster, my wife has one for a long time and it's an awesome little car with that 2.8 straight six. Maybe an E30 convertible? Easy to find, lots of parts available. Edited by Fuze

I will say, I was digging the cobra miata for 20 seconds before I saw the price.

Leesfer, why not? You tell me. Looks good. Do they have rust issues like Japanese cars? Also, how is the visibility and drivability on such a small car?

The Nissan MGB one is awesome, but still way too pricey for a car I Will be parking on the street.

I've been back and forth on the bmws. I even almost jumped on a stick shift 735I. I live in hipster Brooklyn, so e30 is out. Every hip dude has a volvo 240 or landcruiser and their women have e30s. There are two on my block now.

I agree with a lot of you, resto mod. So the triumph spitfire... Hood and fenders come up together. Engine swap paradise. So those guys have a makeshift version for every discontinued part. They even apolster the seats with office max chairs.

I've been back and forth on the bmws. I even almost jumped on a stick shift 735I. I live in hipster Brooklyn, so e30 is out. Every hip dude has a volvo 240 or landcruiser and their women have e30s. There are two on my block now.

Haha damn hipsters!! They are breathing life into the craiglist Volvo market that's for sure.

^So a friend of a friend of my dad or what not was selling a 240 for $700. We picked it up that day. Quick wash and vacumme and I had it on craigslist for $1,600. Sold in a few days for asking price to a photographer and his Asian painter girlfriend.

The Nissan MGB one is awesome, but still way too pricey for a car I Will be parking on the street

Don't have to spend a fraction of that for a basic swapped car. What you add-on is up to you

Find the MG for a good deal.... even better with a bad or no motor

Heck, Fuze says SR20 complete swaps go for $800 in his area.... and the CA18 goes for considerably less, everywhere

Unbeatable for the level of performance u get

Ask him to hook you up ;)

The biggest issues I saw were eletrical (duh) and carb issues. Rust would obviously be a concern in anything that old of course. The carbs are easy enough to take care of (swap for weber side drafts). But the electrical... Unless the car has been completely re-wired, and all the parts replaced with after market, expect something to not work every 2 weeks. Lucas electric didn't get it's reputation by chance. Honestly, for class though, I think you'd be better off with an old Mercedes SL. Or, If you can find one, an 80's XJS with an LS motor swap. It's a really popular swap, but the owners don't let go of them very often

I agree with an older Mercedes SL. A 450SL or 560SL. They are affordable, reliable, plentiful, and easy to work on. And they have class. The M117 v8 in 4.5l or 5.6l make decent power for cruising and can run forever. And you wont be hard up looking for parts like you would a british roadster. Bonus points if you get one with euro bumpers and headlights. S-Klasse!

Old Jags never start and british classics have the most interesting electrical gremlins.

Edited by GINASQ

Haha damn hipsters!! They are breathing life into the craiglist Volvo market that's for sure.

and someone is making money working on them. Volvo electrical systems are a nightmare if ya dont know em.

^So a friend of a friend of my dad or what not was selling a 240 for $700. We picked it up that day. Quick wash and vacumme and I had it on craigslist for $1,600. Sold in a few days for asking price to a photographer and his Asian painter girlfriend.

Can't make this stuff up lol. I'd take an 850 turbo wagon though, all black RWD. I used to see one at Etown that some Jamaicans in Queens made into a serious drag car. Looked like a total sleeper with tinted windows and drag slicks on the back.

I do kind,of like some volvos. Like I would love an s60r but that's a money pit and some.

Model A roadster? No, fortunately not a hipster thing. Almost would be really cool, almost.

As much as I agree that old MeBe are very classy and tasteful cars... Hipster strike again. Once the achieve 6 figure incomes and outgrow the e30's, they buy a vintage Benz. I swear there is a lock down on them in the northeast. Out here they are anything but affordable. However, I am considering an old S class. Need to see what it would take to convert to stick shift.

Oh my oh my!!!! Ls swapped jags?!?!? I really wanted an xj6 but no manual trans bolt up. I even considered an s type as a compromise. Now I see they sell drop in ls swap kits for jags? You now found me my dream car. However, the prices are out of reach. That will be my next project, when I'm in my 30s and making better money. Thanks for showing me the light.