g54b differences..

Ro_the1st

Terribly sorry if this question was already answered however I just need to be 100% I have a 88 Starion with rust that I want to swap the drive train into my 87 quest. What parts are NOT compatible if any. Quest has seized motor but head, TB are mint. I know im swapping my 88 ecu into my 87. Any input is greatly appreciated

I know the knock box or ignition box is different for sure.

if you do just the engine and head it should be a bolt in and go.

if sensors are different just put 87 sensors in the 88 engine intake

and that would be it.

There are some minor differences between the 88-89 and the older cars.

The water pump and coolant crossover are different and are not interchangable. 88-89 cars have the turbo coolant line going to the water pump. 84-87 cars have it in the crossover pipe. Not a huge deal just don't mix them up or you will end up with either no turbo coolant location or two turbo coolant locations.

The T-stat outlet is also a different shape but no big deal. Just use the radiator hose meant for the year t-stat outlet you are using.

All the sensors are the same on 87-89 cars. But the temp sender for the gauge is a 2 prong on 88-89 instead of the 83-87 1 prong. You can use the 1 prong on the 88-89 cars but that disables 1 function in the auto heater. The second prong is a thermal switch. In 86-87 cars the thermal switch is near the heater core. All that switch does is tells the HVAC computer when the coolant has warmed up. It's there so on cold mornings when the heat is set to auto and below 90 deg the blower wont activate until the coolant warms up. It's a comfort feature so you aren't getting blasted with cold air while the engine warms up.

Edited by ucw458

There are some minor differences between the 88-89 and the older cars.

The water pump and coolant crossover are different and are not interchangable. 88-89 cars have the turbo coolant line going to the water pump. 84-87 cars have it in the crossover pipe. Not a huge deal just don't mix them up or you will end up with either no turbo coolant location or two turbo coolant locations.

The T-stat outlet is also a different shape but no big deal. Just use the radiator hose meant for the year t-stat outlet you are using.

All the sensors are the same on 87-89 cars. But the temp sender for the gauge is a 2 prong on 88-89 instead of the 83-87 1 prong. You can use the 1 prong on the 88-89 cars but that disables 1 function in the auto heater. The second prong is a thermal switch. In 86-87 cars the thermal switch is near the heater core. All that switch does is tells the HVAC computer when the coolant has warmed up. It's there so on cold mornings when the heat is set to auto and below 90 deg the blower wont activate until the coolant warms up. It's a comfort feature so you aren't getting blasted with cold air while the engine warms up.

Great info! Didn't know this.