Project "Because Racecar"

speedyquest

Pairing companion cylinders like a divided setup? Cool idea just too much damn work lol. If I was to ever do twins it would be compound like my buddys 1JZ

Stocker to a GT40 something or other

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10200244415389663&set=o.291925320942153&type=3

I can see your point but a compound setup would cost so much more than what I'm putting into this. Basically other than having two 12a turbos I'll just have the cost of the materials into it. My time as well but I'm learning all kinds of stuff so I like that I'm spending my time on it. It should be fun at the very least : )

The factory compressor housing would be a pretty decent size for a twin setup, should support pretty good power levels. However your turbos over there on the 2.6l motors have 8cm^2 exhaust housing, and I would think they'd be a little on the large side for a twin setup. I'd expect it'll be really laggy. You could try and get a couple of 6cm^2 exhaust housings from overseas 2l models? Finding ones that aren't cracked is pretty tricky though!

2 of those eclipse t25 garrett turbos would be ideal for a twin setup.

I have 2 I could sell you.

But i think the one is missing a turbine housing.

I have heard so much talk about people wanting to do this twin setup over the years.

No one on here has yet...I dont think?

I think the g54b firing order may be an issue if you where to use 1-2 and 3-4 for the seperate headers.

1-3 and 2-4 would be ideal for the better response.

Threshold is worth the research in that discussion.

Strangely I remember James from CNM did a TT setup on a CRX back in the day... yeah, random info lol.

Hypothetically, we're talking about a combined 650 CFM from the pair of 12A's... I wonder how they'd behave.

@freebird: I was actually planning on pairing 1-4 and 2-3 due to our firing order. All the research I did suggested that the further the pulses were from each other the more efficiently the pressure would be used. This is due to the idea that the pulses would not interfere with flow from the previous one as it flowed down the runners and into the collector.

I appreciate that you guys are up for having a fact based and unbiased conversation about this subject. I think we all know that typically this subject just gets shot down. Its one of the reasons I'm doing it.

Edited by speedyquest

@ZacMan: Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look into that. One reason I'm building it with two 12a turbos is because of how readily they are available. I can build the system and then see how it reacts. After that I can slap whatever two mitsu turbos my heart desires on there. It will be interesting to compare between say two 12a's and two 14b's.

@freebird: I was actually planning on pairing 1-4 and 2-3 due to our firing order. All the research I did suggested that the further the pulses were from each other the more efficiently the pressure would be used. This is due to the idea that the pulses would not interfere with flow from the previous one as it flowed down the runners and into the collector.

I appreciate that you guys are up for having a fact based and unbiased conversation about this subject. I think we all know that typically this subject just gets shot down. Its one of the reasons I'm doing it.

my bad...I should have looked at the firing order before typing....lol

You knew what i was talking about. :P

anyways, the stock turbo in my opinion isnt really that far off from the (in my opinion, best street a/r) .63 A/R

I like the faster spool when cruising.

So If you put that same turbo on 2 cylinders.I think it would be like running a 1.00A/r turbo...very laggy.

Thats why im suggesting a smaller than oem turbo for 2 cylinders.....that t25 is tiny...but for 2 cylinders...could be perfect.

I have some header making stuff...i may try this too some day....very cool idea..

Do you happen to know what the cfm is for one of those turbos? Just out of curiousity.

And I see what your saying about possible lag. While I see that looks like that would be logical I'd like to point out the RB26DeTT motor. Those motors get some pretty large turbos placed on 3 cylinders but with about the same displacement I have hope that our motor will be able to spool two 12a's pretty well. Especially taking into account the increased efficiency of having it being a tubular manifold and optimized by firing order.

Edited by speedyquest

i got a 45 on the inside of the ex. housing

and .48a/r on the front compressor.

not really sure on the cfm's on that little dude, but there is some info on them out there...lots available.

I have seen them sell for $50 on ebaay.

We are limited to the head flow cfm's on the g54b....if we only had that extra cam. :D

Well since we are talking about tiny turbos, here is a picture of some 13b turbos off of my old 3000gt vr4. So tiny lol.

Correction: The turbo on the left is a 13b from a 3000gt. The other is off a starion.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mangledbmx/CIMG0035.jpg

Edited by speedyquest

I'd worry much less about the compressor side of things (12a, 14b, etc...), and more about the turbine side. You're going to struggle to spool up two 8cm^2 TC/TD05 housings.

GTO/3000GT TD04/13b turbo's would actually be a pretty decent match. They run out of juice at around 5krpm on the 3.0l motor, so would probably be a pretty decent match to a 4g54.

You can't really compare your proposed setup to that of a GTR, as those are a 4 valve per cylinder head, flow alot more air and are designed to make their power up high in the RPM range. You'll find any GTR with big twins will be making all it's power at 6krpm+... I wouldnt recommend trying to spin a 4 cylinder 2.6lt motor to those RPM levels to try and spool up the twins, it's alot of mass per cylinder to be flinging around.

Still a cool idea, but don;t get stuck on the idea of having two 'big' turbos. If you can get a cheap pair of TD04 13b's, they'd be awesome I reckon. Car's with decent torque in the rev range you spend most of your time in are way more fun to drive. You could build a horsepower monster, but if it makes all that power where you never use it, it wont be any fun to drive :-).

Thats a pretty cool idea. I know I'm definitely looking forward to getting to place them in the engine bay so it looks agressive. I've always liked the idea of mounting them like the twins on skylines and it just so happens they pretty regularly do high and low mount setups. The other way I was tossing around was having them at the same level, up high, and angled out a 45 degree angles away from the motor.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/10/25/02/59/pic-4157.jpeg

Yes, kind of speedyquest, but even more so, If you could have both the turbos inline with one another, so one is directly on top of the other, it's look pretty mental. Would make downpipe fabrication pretty easy too.

Just a small little update, I got my new fuel lines and fuel pressure sending unit on the car the other day. Thanks again boston for the fuel rail and lines, they worked well.

http://i.imgur.com/UJrNQKx.jpg

Edited by speedyquest