What did you do to your Starquest today?

Alsandr

Got my head all together with new springs and valves spun in. Replacing any and every hose I see then putting her back together this morn with the hx35 turbo and log header this go around. Thinking of deleting abs stuff along the way.

Also get to delete the turbo water lines.

Did some more driving...Between the tune tweaks and colder air it rips, and I'm not even taking it near redline or near my future peak boost yet. SQ, how I've missed you :). Oh, and got a new slave cylinder and alt/water pump belt on order.

Finally installed my spa turbo AFPR with a fuel pressure gauge on the top hat and dialed it to 38 psi. Took her for a short spin and noticed max boost increase by 1-3 psi. Made me very happy!! My stocker must have been going out or weak

Drove mine home :) I recently got a silver 87 starion (my first was a silver 87, so its got a ton of sentimental value haha) that had been off the road a few years. Put a water pump in it but it was running warm. Pulled out the radiator and put some clr in it and cleaned out a bunch of junk. Now she runs nice and cool

• 2 weeks later...
Drove and datalogged a few miles and put 5 more gallons of 93 in there. Almost done tuning for the season just in time for it to hibernate for 5 months lol.

Going through the 88 I bought a few weeks ago for spares to save my 86, going to save it instead and make it a daily driver. Got kinda attached to it even if it is a slush box! Fixed a lot of little things some clueless previous owner did to it, just got to get the driver side seat belt to work and replace the power steering lines and I think it will be good to go.

Colin

Edited by carguygibby

Power steering lines done, wasn't as hard to do as I thought. Keep finding more strange PO stuff.

2 extra ground wires (why?) removed. Has flexi fan, can't decide whether to leave it on or re-install the electric ones. Found out car has no thermostat,installed 180° one.

That always makes me suspicious but car is not overheating.

Edited by carguygibby

Flex fans are noisy and soak up alot of HP. I would remove the flex fan.

Funny you should say that, the car doesn't 'scoot' like my 86 did.

Undoing a lot of weird things done to the car, slowly getting it back to factory specs. Never understand why people do some of the stuff they do to these cars!

Colin

Never understand why people do some of the stuff they do to these cars!

Colin

The PO of my car had all the parts to make it Carburated (SP) with a mechanical fan and no intercooler.... I got all the parts if you want them....

Some people put flex fans on to try to band aid a cooling issue. Hopefully that's not the case with your SQ.

I put a flex fan on my mazda truck many years ago. I regretted it on the first trip. It was much slower and noisier. Truck only had 97hp and the fan was probably soaking up 20+hp. I hated driving that truck with the clutch fan.

Some people put flex fans on to try to band aid a cooling issue. Hopefully that's not the case with your SQ.

I put a flex fan on my mazda truck many years ago. I regretted it on the first trip. It was much slower and noisier. Truck only had 97hp and the fan was probably soaking up 20+hp. I hated driving that truck with the clutch fan.

my diesel swap seemed to run better after adding the flex (at the time was 5 speed) but i think it was because it didnt have enough load on the engine

Winter is here, i need to remove the flex fan lol

Now winter is approaching that fan has to go, I like my heat. Now I've found the vacuum hoses that lead from the boost solenoid are just hanging in the breeze, no wonder this thing is slow, guessing I have no boost!

Colin

PS Anyone got a diagram where the hoses go?

Now winter is approaching that fan has to go, I like my heat. Now I've found the vacuum hoses that lead from the boost solenoid are just hanging in the breeze, no wonder this thing is slow, guessing I have no boost!

Colin

if hoses are unhooked, you are either plumbed for 7psi, 10psi, or unlimited psi. there is no hose that would turn off boost. unless its a vw lol

Colin

emissions section of the FSM pages 25-14 & 25-15

I am fighting a very intermittent "turn the key and no crank" issue! Almost made me late for work this morning. Time for some electrical troubleshooting....and I hate electrical troubleshooting!

Always start with the battery, even if it's only a few years old. Then the terminals must be clean and tight, and then check your fuses/links and everything else....

I am fighting a very intermittent "turn the key and no crank" issue! Almost made me late for work this morning. Time for some electrical troubleshooting....and I hate electrical troubleshooting!

i had a bad connection in the starter solenoid connector before