High oil pressure

mistapickles

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/mistapickles/C0702E49-EC61-4AFB-AE80-10F5FCB69C46_zps1vqb1xiu.jpg

I know most people are dealing with the complete opposite of this but is this bad? It will go down to 3/16" above half at idle but it'll run up to where it is in the picture at 3500 rpms. When it's cold outside it'll peg at the top of the gauge until the engine is warm then go back down to where it shows in the picture. What's the downside of this? What do you think caused it? For the most part my engine runs smoother than my g37

... LS reliable power here I come!?!? Between junk aftermarket parts and natural quirks with the factory setup this is getting old... I just drove 250 miles to Las Vegas and my month old starter just crapped out on me. I do love the G54B because I put somewhere near 1000 miles a week on my car and the block itself sounds like a champ but all the stupid surrounding parts makes me want to punch babies in the face...

Do I pull the timing cover to remove the oil pump to unstick my relief valve? I'm pretty sure it's not the sender because it'll go down to right above half at idle

Mechanical gauge will tell you the exact pressure, much easier than pulling the pump at this point. Just a drop to 10w30 can help, as what was suggested before. These electric oem gauges are not reliable.

... LS reliable power here I come!?!? Between junk aftermarket parts and natural quirks with the factory setup this is getting old... I just drove 250 miles to Las Vegas and my month old starter just crapped out on me. I do love the G54B because I put somewhere near 1000 miles a week on my car and the block itself sounds like a champ but all the stupid surrounding parts makes me want to punch babies in the face...

Do I pull the timing cover to remove the oil pump to unstick my relief valve? I'm pretty sure it's not the sender because it'll go down to right above half at idle

LOL epic post!

• 2 weeks later...

High oil pressure can damage engine bearings too. You might want to address that before you get rod knock.

This is about a 4G63 but it applies to all engines.

Edited by ucw458

Ok, just watched the video. My engine isnt a Frankenstein motor nor does it have 60,000 miles of hard driving, nor had it had two gallons of water sitting in it for two years with the same bearings being used... That's an apple and tennis ball comparison

Ok, just talked to the horsepower guy and he said as long as my pressure isn't above the 100 psi range leave it alone. He said my main concern would be the crank seals and the turbo but depending on the design of the crank those seals should be fine. He said that if my pressure is in the 80-100 psi range I could use 5-20 or 0-20 oil and cut a whole bunch of drag on the internals to get some better performance. He also told me how to unstick the pressure release without pulling the timing cover off but said why? People pay big money for oil pressure like that and my bearings will last forever, lol. He said you need 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpms and I'm better than that right now.

Just saw this. If you have the wrong sending unit (Autozone, for example, has them listed incorrectly) it will read about 1/3 of a gauge high. I was getting readings like yours when they gave me the wrong sending unit. Like everyone else says: Check with another gauge tapped off the engine.

this engine wasn't made to run on thin oil...10-30w is fine.. better to blow turbo seal than spin a bearing ..those thin oils are made for new cars the bearing clearances are different.........they are running thinner oil to get more MPGs and bearing metal is better than 25 years ago and the oil too.......