PQ has passed away

Shelby

i always respected his point of view. i liked tha fact that he was straight and to the point and didnt hold back. sure, it could rub people the wrong way but he knew his stuff and was always willing to help as long as he knew you were not wasting his time.

sorry to see him go, my prayers are with his family and friends. this is a loss for the community for sure.

Excellent perspective. If we all took this point of view......Wayne would be happy.

I will miss him a lot,

Bill

Wow, that sucks. Always knew him to be a difficult man, yet he sounded like an interesting character. His write ups have saved me durring a few occasions. Was just literally talking about cross country road trip plans with my girl and how I wanted to stop in New Mexico amongst other places to meet certain car people... him being one. Bassed on his writing he struck me as someone who would be very interesting to talk to in person. Had his number, never called. Too bad.

Any pictures of the guy? Just really curious honestly.

Edited by Malykaii

I was just going to comment on the nitrile gloves too. :lol: My condolences to the Wike family and rest in peace PQ. His manuals gave me the confidence to purchase a Conquest and eventually meet a majority of you. It takes a community they say, I believe it.

I found out that Wayne passed away on 1/3/13 from his sister. I talked to him on 12/12/13 in the evening. I tried to call him on 12/14/13 and got no answer or call back. I continued to call him everyday up until 12/24/13 when I sent him a Merry Christmas text. I finally called his sister on 1/2/14 when I hadn't heard from him for 2+ weeks. She told me that Wayne had passed away in his sleep from heart failure on 12/13/13. I was shocked that I had talked to him the day before.

I called Jimmy the next day and told him what happened, and left Shelby a voice mail. I haven't written a reply to this post cuz I had 2 pictures of him that I had to find on my computer, buried in an obscure folder, and I wanted to think long and deep before I posted a reply as to what I was gonna say.

Wayne has been a dear and true friend to me since 08. About once or twice a month we called each other about the BS replies to SQC member's VM problems that they had and discussed them or just to find out what was going on in each other's lifes. Sometimes we stayed on the phone for 2 or 3 hours.

He even met me in Tulsa back in 9/11, as he was passing through on a business trip, when I was at my oldest daughters house. We spent the day together BS'n about Starquest's, life, and what makes the world go around, drinking beer & Candian Club, then went out to a steak dinner that night and he paid for it over my objections. It is a very fond memory that I will never forget, especially now that he's gone.

Wayne at dinner with his steak.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Starionpilot/WayneWithHisSteak93011.jpg

Here is a picture of that night when we got back to my daughter's house with him looking at the Old Broad's engine house..

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Starionpilot/WayneLookingAtOldBroadsEngineHouse.jpg

I was talking to Wayne at least once per week since 10/11 except when he was really sick last year and when he was in the hospital. We were good friends and had many interests in common. We were both brought up in the 40's to 60's in Chicago, spoke the same language and had similiar opinions about life and some of the SQC and i-x.net members.

Shelby, he thought the world of you, but he felt that you were being influenced by 1 or 2 members, ESPECIALLY CHAD, on i-x.net, who consistantly knew what buttons of his to push to cause him to respond the way he did. Do you remember what Chad tried to do to me on SQC because I defended PQ's reputation when I was on some wicked pain drugs? He banned me. You and especially Jimmy stuck up for me and lifted my ban from SQC. Thank You Very Much for that.

I bought a set of Delphi fuel injectors from him in 10/13 for far below what the going market price is and he over nited them to me at no additional charge. And he also gave me some other rare Starquest parts free of charge. He said that he wanted them to be used, cuz he didn't have much more time left.

The cause of his heart failure was due to him passing out in the Arizona desert, in 130+ heat and not being found for about 12 hours in 2012. He was badly sun burnt over about 40% of his body and his heart was very weak. He was in the hospital for about 2 months recovering, but his heart was damaged beyond repair, he was told that he had a short time left and it was just a matter of time before it failed.

He could move around but with difficulty and he wished that God would let him go.

Yeah, he could be a SOB sometimes. He had little tolerance for people who lied about him or degraded his integrity, caused problems in his life, or were just wannabee know it all's putting out false information. His problem was that he had a short fuse and was not given the gift of eloquently defending himself , both verbally or writing it down in words.

To you SQC'rs who put him and his Conquest down when he put it up for sale a month or so ago,. you put him down cuz of hear say - you didn't know him nor have any financial dealings with him. I drove his Conquest in March, 2012 when I visited him. Mechanically and electrically it was perfect - It had all of the mods that he showed how to do in HIS SOS Manuals. The car was absolutely rust free and the only thing it needed was a paint job.The person who bought it for the money Wayne wanted, stole it. I hope that those who didn't personally know him, but jumped on the band wagon to put him & his Conquest down, feel like crap now. YOU SHOULD!

Since '06, I bought $1000's of dollars of rust free body, mechanical & electrical parts from Wayne. All of them were in good shape and the majority of the mechanical parts are still operating in the Old Broad. How many of you other Old Timers or even newer guys bought parts from him? I'll bet that you got exactly what Wayne claimed they would be. He got black balled from buying parts from him, especially cuz of 1, ONE, exotic head modification job payment that went bad.

Wayne I'm gonna miss your phone calls. The joke between us asking me when I pick up the phone, "Are you sober now, and can we talk"? We had a lot of great times on the phone, you drinking beer & me Canadian Club. We got drunk and laughed a lot together.

You were a good friend that I miss. You have physically gone through hell the last year or so.

May you find the peace now that you fully deserve.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

BTW - Wayne's sister told me that they were going to have his memorial service in the Spring and she would let me know via a letter exactly when it is. The Old Broad and I are going to go to it.

• Like 1

That old saying 1 bad job out of 100 will get ya, you know, 99 good jobs, but one bad one everyone hears about.. So ya gotta do 100 good jobs out of 100!

well said starfighterpilot.

PQ was a difficult man sometimes.

he cursed me out for blowing my fuel pump relay lol yet i never retaliated or disrespected him.

we would talk for hours sometimes and he always gave me the time of the day. I just let him talk sometimes, i think he needed that.

I was going to send him some rum but he told me he can't indulge in alcohol because of his heart condition.

The last time we spoke over the phone he told me he was not going to be around much longer. that was 3.5yrs ago.

we would talk over pm every once in a while

I never got around to sending him pics of my fuel set up. wish i had done that. I always thought i would get around to it.

Godspeed PQ

Edited by lionbull

"He had little tolerance for people who lied about him or degraded his integrity, caused problems in his life, or were just wannabee know it all's putting out false information."

Really? That is strong language - do you not see that? NO. What I saw was if a kid responded to one of his VM posts with anything that looked like a question (even "really?") instead of "thank you PQ" he went completely berserk. He may have believed this (above) was what was going on but it wasn't and no one should believe it. The normal everyday back and forth on the web for him was impossible as is evidenced by the record. And again I got along with him so had no personal beef except the way he misread and mistreated others at times.

Let's face it - if you treated him with kid gloves he would do anything for ya. So he was a great guy. If you didn't pick up on his idiosyncrasies right away things could get real ugly real fast. He was also that guy.

It's fine to have been a friend (I'm sure we all have more in common than we often realize) but please don't make it out that when he went off it was because someone else was at fault.

We ALL would get along if we met face to face.

Thanks for the pictures. I had seen any when he wasn't covered in grease working on car for real.

RIP Wayne.

• Like 1