Starting the KongQuest. LS Powered Convette Inspired Beast

autotr8er2

Nice man, coming along. Spring is right around the corner get it done!

It's been 20-30 degrees outside, I need to insulate the garage doors. it took 4 hours for the heater to bring up the temp to tolerable. trying to stay on top of it.

that spoiler looks great! are you goint to have to tub the rear to fit those wheel/tire size?

That spoiler has a ton of sanding involved in it. Ha. Learned a lot about glassing parts, though. I really like the drift bumpers running around. I thought about doing one with a separate bottom lip so when it gets hit, and it will, it can be easily replaced.

that spoiler looks great! are you goint to have to tub the rear to fit those wheel/tire size?

That spoiler has a ton of sanding involved in it. Ha. Learned a lot about glassing parts, though. I really like the drift bumpers running around. I thought about doing one with a separate bottom lip so when it gets hit, and it will, it can be easily replaced.

i am not a fan of those wheels, sorry. i think the wheels for a starquest need some lip to fit the style of the starquest, those seem too modern/flush to compliment the aggressive styling already associated with the flared starquest design.

Can't disagree with that statement. Hmm, seems I may have to re-think this a bit. The limitations I'm running into is to go that wide and still tuck under the rear fenders.... They do look like the 370 wheels...

Cutting will be limited to the towers and inner fenders. The subframe will be reinforced. I've been stalling on the cutting part. Waiting on a final decision on whether to pay for the front end or reverse engineer it.

Honestly man, theres no way its worth the money. I only say this because I've ran against all kinds of cars and suspension setups... from simple, to all out inboard coilovers... is it better? maybe...on a car that was designed not to turn. Our cars geometry is really really good. Trust me. It has its weak spots but for the most part, a rack and pinion is all you need.

• Like 1

how much is that front suspension set up and where did you find that?

I've been following the Roadster Shop since their Corvette hit the Mags.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/autotr8er/corvette.jpg

So, I admire the engineering work they do. On their site they have it listed around $4000. Additional options raise the stakes.

Edited by autotr8er2

Honestly man, theres no way its worth the money. I only say this because I've ran against all kinds of cars and suspension setups... from simple, to all out inboard coilovers... is it better? maybe...on a car that was designed not to turn. Our cars geometry is really really good. Trust me. It has its weak spots but for the most part, a rack and pinion is all you need.

I'm having my doubts, indeed. That's why I haven't cut the fenders. The Ring Brothers build cars that almost mirror my style. The Roadster Shop did it right with the REVO IFS. It is an engineering work of art. What I like about the design of the REVO is the cam bolts on the lower arms. All the other designs use shims. One other thing is I can work with the RS team to optimize the design per my specs.

In order to do make the car I want it is going to need some flexibility to make changes that are a testament to mechanical design and engineering but still off the charts The strut suspension does have it's limitations... and I'm not knocking the design. With the direction I want to go it will be restrictive. There will be 3 stages of evolution during the course of the next 5-6 years. I'm itching to do something different. Have faith guys, it's gonna work, you'll see. The only drawback is I can't bag the suspension, it pushes the track width too far. I've been going over the design for years. It's time to put it together.

I think I just convinced myself to get going on it.

Edited by autotr8er2

I like your enthusiasm! I feel the same way about my plans; It's going to take several years and multiple updates to achieve the end result that I envision. For now though, I need to get the foundatioin complete in time for TSQ14. After that, it's on!

Its always good to plan a head. Theres so many things I want to redo now on my car, but just didnt know what I was doing while I was doing it. lol There is no doubt thats an awesome setup, I just cant see it being worth the money. I would be much more inclined to source something from say a FD rx7, all aluminium control arms, light light weight, front steer system..ect, than drop 4k on that set up. Also keep in mind that the frame rails are NOT centered in the engine bay. This is, and will be a huge pain in the @s.

I love the roll arounds you have under the tires that looks really handy where did u get those

I learned how to make them from YouTube. It's Mike's DIY triple threat casters. I have to keep the car mobile so the wife can get her car in.

Its always good to plan a head. Theres so many things I want to redo now on my car, but just didnt know what I was doing while I was doing it. lol There is no doubt thats an awesome setup, I just cant see it being worth the money. I would be much more inclined to source something from say a FD rx7, all aluminium control arms, light light weight, front steer system..ect, than drop 4k on that set up. Also keep in mind that the frame rails are NOT centered in the engine bay. This is, and will be a huge pain in the @s.

I did look into swapping suspensions, I was fearful of the geometry changes that would have to take place to get them to fit, potentially adversely affecting the handling. I couldn't see fabricating one with the limited resources I have, but you never know. I noticed how offset the front was. I plan on correcting that.

One question, John, what prompted you to set your engine back?

The same problem applies for that full aftermarket setup. I don't see how it could be "universal". As in provide proper geometry for every chassis.

To answer your question, weight distribution for handling.

Im not sure if it means anything to you,but.....someone has used a 62 nova II front suspension kit like this one in the link from ebay. Its almost a bolt in/weld in kit if you want to cut the frame rails and the whole clip off.

the nova and our engine bay is very much the same size.This has been used in a starquest before, ive seen it.

Maybe not what your looking for, but i just had to say something....lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-67-Nova-Chevy-II-Heidts-Mustang-II-Front-End-Rear-4-Link-Suspension-Kits-/380812986864?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58aa3909f0&vxp=mtr

The same problem applies for that full aftermarket setup. I don't see how it could be "universal". As in provide proper geometry for every chassis.

To answer your question, weight distribution for handling.

Your videos are impressive. It lights a fire under my backside to get going.

It's getting tough to find a transmission. It's ironic in a way, you see them everywhere when you don't have the funds and when you do, you can't find them or the price skyrockets. I'm getting quotes close to those of a brand new one. What gives? Oh well, I have some time to continue searching.