Brake pad wear question...

03CL55AMG

I Just finished rebuilding all 4 calipers of course new hawk pads, deglazed the rotors and bled system...when I pulled the rear pads out, the wear patteren was messed up...top of the pad on both sides of the car had good meat left but the bottom of the pad was nearly to metal. I have not run onto this before, I did a little reserch and all I could find was the concencus said worn bushings or worn brake parts, I did not see any bushing and I am not sure where to look...checked the pads after 50 miles and it looks as if the wear pattern is not normal starting to look like old pattern...has anybody run into this before and if so what was the cause, thanks.

I've heard that not greasing the actuating pins (that slide back and forth) can cause noise and whatnot,

if one were stuck, applying the brakes would only push one side onto the rotor

seems odd to happen on both simultaneously

im sure you'll get some better information out of members with more brakes experience- but it sounds like a caliper actuating problem

good luck

Aaron

I think it might be wise to swap out those hawk pads for a less expensive set until you get it straightened out? Try going back to a semi-metallic front & organic rear, a cheaper way to figure out if the wear pattern is consistent w/ the different materials? I've also seen wear similar if the caliper is worn to the points where sides are shifted from (like stated) (1) or more of the actuating pins set differently/causing an angle. (make sense :blink: ) It does sound "caliper" oriented though? I mean warped discs that badly, don't think so? Either something isn't lining up properly, or uneven pressure. Just too odd... it happening simultaneously? Good luck, really haven't experienced this same situation to have a quick fix for you.

Thanks guys, good thought process, the pins that I took out during the rebuild looked like new...no unusual wear. It is definetly some uneaven wear and it is just the rears the fronts are looking good, that is wear the hawk pads are and some organic in the rears. I will keep checking but any additional ideas are welcome,thanks. Edited by 03CL55AMG

did you make sure on the rear pads that the little pins on the pads fit into one of the little triangle grooves in the caliper piston? you have to rotate the piston to line up on the pads.

Good info guys, I did not notice that the brackets were bent they looked normal..I did put a thin layer of greese on the bolts as well as on the outside of the pads and I cleaned up all the parts of the brakes durning the rebuild...How about this, is it possible that the ABS could cause this problem, I know this doesn't seen likely but it's worth asking and yes I did line up the little pins on the pads so they hit in the triangle of the piston, thanks for the responces Edited by 03CL55AMG

A ranger just came in at the shop. Had the whole front end knocked off. Anyways she claims her brakes weren't metal to metal till the accident..total bs if you ask me. Just some inbred wanting something for nothing. Pulled caliper and one pad had 1/2 life the back pad was gone. Had to put new rotor and pads on. And you wonder why insurance companies rates are so high..lol

All this said I can't figure out why it wore funny like this. Other than the pads not being able to "move"..or "slide" correctly. I'd say grease it up and try again.

The o ring inside the caliper keeps the oil inside the unit. A caliper sticking is the same as touching the break while driving. It will where out pads but wont make pads wear un-even.

Uuuummmmm unless only half the piston is sticking. I havent seen that yet.

How about this could it have anything to do with the parking brake...it is only the rear brakes maybe the cable is sticking and that is cousing the abnormal wear...hmmm Edited by 03CL55AMG

I have an idea try jacking up the rear tires on the ground. Support car so it wont fall. Remove tires have a friend get in the car put in gear and start driving. While driving apply brakes and look closely and see how calipers are moving. You can check with the e brake also. And go from there.

Does your parking brake work?

Did the screw posts in the pistons turn?

Are the cable levers moving?

Do the cables stick?

Take that proportioning valve off the firewall, take the cap off and remove the spring and piston out and clean the rotten crap out of it. Don't get sold new hoses because of this issue. This clogged up valve will cause those rear calipers to stick.

If the ABS modulator is still there, you have to bleed the crap out of it too.

Does your parking brake work?

Did the screw posts in the pistons turn?

Are the cable levers moving?

Do the cables stick?

Take that proportioning valve off the firewall, take the cap off and remove the spring and piston out and clean the rotten crap out of it. Don't get sold new hoses because of this issue. This clogged up valve will cause those rear calipers to stick.

If the ABS modulator is still there, you have to bleed the crap out of it too.

hey old man good to see you posting again :)

only other thing I can sugest is to take it all apart again leave the pads off,, install caliper on guide pins and see if you can rock the caliper,, if it is loose on the guide pins it'll wear off center ,,

bent guide pins are rare but they can be bent with a BFH :) and a couple buds lol