Gullwing Starion?

ditc210

When Scott had to move to FL with work.....the gullwing car got sold. I fear it went to the scrap yard not too far away from completion and with unknown countless hours of Scott's fabrication time. The doors were functional when it left GA and most of the remaining work was patch panels, rain molding, etc :( I would be thrilled to learn it's still floating around though! Edited by jonboyb

When Scott had to move to FL with work.....the gullwing car got sold. I fear it went to the scrap yard not too far away from completion and with unknown countless hours of Scott's fabrication time. The doors were functional when it left GA and most of the remaining work was patch panels, rain molding, etc :( I would be thrilled to learn it's still floating around though!

Real shame! I have always been drawn to gullwing cars. Many years ago; bar hopping/disco days, a close friend of mine had a great look'n Bricklin, we use to parade around in. (I only had a beautiful Trans Am, wasn't as eye catch'n) It was a great car, aside from the engine noise directly behind your head?

He awoke during the night, to come out the front of his house to find a car thief w/ a crowbar, trying to pry open the driver wing. (chipping chunks of fiberglass up/off in the process) Naturally... he asked: "what are you doing?" The guy turned around to take a swing @ his head w/ the crowbar. Being only clad in a robe @ pocketing a snub nose .38; he shot him. (in the leg) Mistake: As he tried to run away, it occurred to my friend (in our liberal state) you just can't shoot people for mess'n w/ your car??? Fortunately, he was able to drag him back onto his yard, using a good twist hold on the ankle of that perforated leg, (some 18" inside the easement rights) where the responding police just confiscated his gun, w/ no arrest.

So then... I suppose?... if you're gonna have a "gullwing car"... be prepared to shoot to kill? Or, think twice about having a gullwing door car? Did I get slightly "off-topic?" ;)

When Scott had to move to FL with work.....the gullwing car got sold. I fear it went to the scrap yard not too far away from completion and with unknown countless hours of Scott's fabrication time. The doors were functional when it left GA and most of the remaining work was patch panels, rain molding, etc :( I would be thrilled to learn it's still floating around though!

He PM'd me when he was going to sell it to see if I would be interested since I had the ability to finish it properly. I was way interested, and the price he wanted for the car itself was more than reasonable, I just didn't have the loot for that and transport at the time, as I believe it was either right before the baby came, or right after and I was on financial lockdown by the wife. I have never been more heartbroken to turn down an offer to buy a car.

i have one . build instructions were written in japanese. had to wing it to put it together.

If you ever are hard pressed to know. I have always gown to local college campus and recruited ether a Japanese student, or someone that knew Japanese. Great source for instruction translations.

The orange lambo quest is Chad. Scott had the gullwing project but lost interest I think. Its still floating around somewhere though.

May have seen mine somewhere on here, but wasn't on Craigslist.

wasn't there one at PF this yr

Not a gullwing. Gullwings are hinged at the roof and open outward (like a Delorean)

Chad-

On a side note, I wonder how much one of those factory gullwing/right hand drive starions would sell for in the US. I know I'd be tempted to make a large offer.

Chad-

Seeing as you want a factory one, depends if they feel like making one

I wish I had dude....of course with my skill levels it would have ended up a stripped interior gullwing car....but a gullwing car nonetheless :lol: Custom tunnel was already completed too....can you say V160 6-speed and a 2JZ, I sure can!

They are not factory, not many people have done a Gullwing project

They may have not been built in the factory, but they were something that Mitsu. had built. They sent the cars to a special shop to have them built. Similar to how car manufacturers used to send their cars out to companies to have special convertible packages or such added. Mitsu. may not have built the gullwing part of it, but they commissioned the work and paid for it.

Those gullwings had a huge shock to lift them doors. I don't see any passengers being able to get in the back.

I wonder how much heavier they were? All that bracing and reinforcement.

May have seen mine somewhere on here, but wasn't on Craigslist.

Not a gullwing. Gullwings are hinged at the roof and open outward (like a Delorean)

Chad-

he he one of the most common problems with the Delorean was geting locked in the car cause the doors would not open , that and the Volvo V6 they used was junk

• 4 weeks later...

Heres a link: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.stacey1/gullwing.html MITSUBISHI MOTORS released only 5 Gulwing Starion's in total. Built from the GSR-VR 2.6ltr in 1988. Mitsubishi employed a private factory to build the Gulwing Starion as a special, However There is a rumor that only 3 were actually sold, The price of a new one was 6,000,000yen. Today it is believed One is in Tokyo or Yokohama & One is in Nagoya, And another one is in Miyazaki-prefecture.

Two of them (Tokyo & Nagoya) were released by Mitsubishi. Another one was built by the owner who ordered factory parts privately. This cost him 2,500,000yen to build, This Gullwing had a motor-powerd door rising unit. This placed a strain on the battery- One situation arose when the owner had to climb in from the rear hatch due to a battery failure. Now it has been modified to a manual system due to many problems with the mechanism. Another problem is the lack of strength in the roof & floorpan.

The GULLWING was created for a police story TV program called "GORILLA", That's what the plastic model (released in Japan) relates to. The TV company had TWO Gullwing cars for filming, due to the problems with it.

If you get the oppotunity to go to Japan, I recommend that you visit the "MITSUBISHI AUTO GALLERY" in MITSUBISHI MOTORS OKAZAKI FACTORY AICHI-prefectur