Megasquirt/FIP/other standalones, harnesses

scott87star

Scott I dont mind pulling a new harness to the engine. How do you like that full sequential setup? Im thinking that it would idle great and have very nice throttle response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just another example of an FIP box doing things never envisioned by Ed or Scott at FIP (I am NOT Scott from FIP if anyone is confused). This box started life as an Ignition Pro box, I had formerly converted it to be an FC-1S running ignition control for a Starquest client. He was running into ignition issues with EDIS and wanted to keep the crank trigger so this box was further converted to accept a VR input from the 36-1 crank trigger wheel as well as run wasted spark COP or CNP (as yet not determined) including launch control. The four coil outputs are logic level and can run smart coils directly such as the LS2 coils or the Mercury Marine uber high output coils OR with the addition of a coil driver pack can run the two wire COP systems that I offer.

http://picturehosting.com/images/oblique9881/fipformeripbox.jpg

I am currently working on a mounting system for the Mercury Marine CNP coils, more to come on that in my COP thread.

DIYAutotune sells the coils, being a distributor I can sell them at their list price and save someone shipping fees. I'm going to be offering a mounting system where these will sit above the plugs on top of the VC, they are much bigger than the COP systems I sell so it gets crowded but so far it looks like there is enough room.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/images/ign-1a_med.jpg

What got my attention was DIY had them tested independently with a host of other coil options including the LS2 truck coils and a Pro Mag 44 amp coil and the only coil to outperform them was the Pro Mag. The Pro Mag lists at $739 each at Jegs where the Mercury Marine coils are $67 each. They are a smart coil with a built in 19 amp ignitor circuit and three (3)! grounds (trigger, block and battery). Spark blowout will no longer be an issue.

Coil specs:

Minimum voltage output (no load, at recommended dwell): 40,000 volts

Output energy: 103 mJ

Spark duration: 2.9 ms

Primary resistance: 0.5 ohms (not directly measurable)

Primary inductance: 4.8 mH (not directly measurable)

Secondary resistance: 8,500 ohms

Secondary inductance: 22.5 H

Turns ratio: 71.1

Maximum current: 19 amps

Maximum battery voltage: 17 volts

Nominal dwell: 3.0 ms

Edited by scott87star