Quarter window install

phishfud

Anyone install a quarter window yourself? I'm curious who used what as a sealant (butyl tape or window weld in a tube) and what you used as a depth block to get it to sit right. Mine need done asap, so any input is appreciated. Thanks.

1987 Starion FSM. Volume no.1 Section 23. Pages 48 and 49: Body-Quarter Window Removal and Installation.I988 FSM is similar.

Everyone wants to do work on their Starquest, but no one wants to download, or purchase (in printed form) the FSM to get it done :(

I guess most of you just want the answers...........By having someone else do the RESEARCH ;)

SAD.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Pretty uncalled for. FYI..I restored this and many other cars by myself, and do more than most folks do. I have an FSM, but that's pretty antiquated so I was looking for people doing it in modern times with new materials.
  • Like 1

Terry,

The FSM says butyl tape, but I spoke with Scotty about this in the past. He recommended using urethane. I went back and forth installing them on my own but based on scotty's recommendation, I ended up having a local shop come out and install the quarter windows and front windshield. They used urethane in an air-operated gun. It literally took 5 minutes to install all three windows. He laid a very large bead down, pressed the glass in, eyeballed it in position, and removed any residue with a razor blade.

Photo from when mine was put in. They guy had it set before I could even snap a picture. But if you look closely, you can see the size of the bead. I think you'll be frustrated using butyl tape or window weld.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/154658_1713319719883_1444877788_31796451_1216365_n1.jpg

Kevin

Pretty uncalled for. FYI..I restored this and many other cars by myself, and do more than most folks do. I have an FSM, but that's pretty antiquated so I was looking for people doing it in modern times with new materials.

You can say that again...you've done more to a conquest in one year then most members here combined have done in 10 years! Not to mention, being one of the first to do an MPI swap on a conquest.

kev

Antiquated????That's B.S. If you have the Factory Service Manual ...You should know how to do it, and what materials to use......Why ask? New materials???? DUH, Auto Glass Sealant is Auto Glass Sealant,no matter how you look at it. :D

Edited by Caliber308

Terry,

The FSM says butyl tape

Kevin

WRONG. The 1987 Factory Service Manual says this: Urethane adhesive (Essex Urethane "E"...Auto Glass Sealant. Sooooooooooo, Scotty was correct. Butyl Tape? What FSM did you get that information from?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I looked again....yes you are right. Originally butyl but says to replace it with urethane. Sorry...jesus. You don't have to treat people like crap just because they asked a question.
  • Like 1

Terry,

The FSM says butyl tape, but I spoke with Scotty about this in the past. He recommended using urethane. I went back and forth installing them on my own but based on scotty's recommendation, I ended up having a local shop come out and install the quarter windows and front windshield. They used urethane in an air-operated gun. It literally took 5 minutes to install all three windows. He laid a very large bead down, pressed the glass in, eyeballed it in position, and removed any residue with a razor blade.

Photo from when mine was put in. They guy had it set before I could even snap a picture. But if you look closely, you can see the size of the bead. I think you'll be frustrated using butyl tape or window weld.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/154658_1713319719883_1444877788_31796451_1216365_n1.jpg

Kevin

That was my issue really. I've used butyl tape before, and had little experience with moden urethane. Sure don't wanna have to take these back out ever, that's for sure. Thanks, Kev.

That's B.S. If you already knew how to do it......Why ask? New materials???? DUH, Auto Glass Sealant is Auto Glass Sealant,no matter how you look at it. :D

No it's not. I just learned this whole deal when looking into doing my own VS having someone do it. The old auto sealer SUCKS in compare to the new 2 part and 1 part urethane. IF you don't have an air, or bat opporated gun (or the correct gun for a 2 part) don't even try it yourself. Just the PITA of laying a consistant bead with a non powered gun SUCKS. Also the 1 parts require glass primer. So buying an install kit with glass primer, the urethane ECT is like $40 So I just added 35 more and drank while the dude did my widnshield.

Now granted a 1/4 window is going to be less critical but a good urethane is like $12 by itself + glass primer. For that price you can get it done in a glass shop.

As for spacing. When I have done them in the past, I used the little rubber X's you use for spacing tile. Come in verious sizes and work great.

No it's not. I just learned this whole deal when looking into doing my own VS having someone do it. The old auto sealer SUCKS in compare to the new 2 part and 1 part urethane. IF you don't have an air, or bat opporated gun (or the correct gun for a 2 part) don't even try it yourself. Just the PITA of laying a consistant bead with a non powered gun SUCKS. Also the 1 parts require glass primer. So buying an install kit with glass primer, the urethane ECT is like $40 So I just added 35 more and drank while the dude did my widnshield.

Now granted a 1/4 window is going to be less critical but a good urethane is like $12 by itself + glass primer. For that price you can get it done in a glass shop.

As for spacing. When I have done them in the past, I used the little rubber X's you use for spacing tile. Come in verious sizes and work great.

Ya the primer is expensive, which makes using the butyl tape more appealing, especially for small windows like this. Most glass places around me won't come install glass you didn't buy from them..went through that once with another car. The tile X's are a good idea..I like that one.

I looked again....yes you are right. Originally butyl but says to replace it with urethane. Sorry...jesus. You don't have to treat people like crap just because they asked a question.

I didn't treat anyone like CRAP. I was just trying to get him to help himself by looking up the information in the FSM. I found it, you finally found it, Why couldn't he????

I don't mind helping members. But, Window adhesive???? It is in the FSM. And he says he has it ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I didn't treat anyone like CRAP. I was just trying to get him to help himself by looking up the information in the FSM. I found it, you finally found it, Why couldn't he????

Bill

I did a crapload of research on it at the time in regards to the latest technique including talking with scotty on the phone. Why should someone else go thru the same thing when he could ask others here who have done it on the exact same auto type?

The FSM doesn't tell you that even though you might have the proper tools, that setting the front windshield is a PIA due to the small flange on the top of the sill.....scotty told me that. In fact, the professional who installed my windshield noted it right away. I would have probably screwed it up if I installed it on my own without scotty's advice.

kev

I know what kind of sealant to use on a rear quarter window. Apparently, you don't. READ THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!!! Why do you think that I don't have to ask questions on SQC???? Because of research perhaps ;) Do I do all that needs to be done on my Starion myself???? Yep.

Bill

I did a crapload of research on it at the time in regards to the latest technique including talking with scotty on the phone. Why should someone else go thru the same thing when he could ask others here who have done it on the exact same auto type?

kev

Learning things on your own is more rewarding than just having someone give you the answer ;) Too much of that goes on here.

Perhaps that is just me. But, what will members do when there is no one left to give them the answers ;)

When I joined SQC, a lot of members told me to "LOOK IT UP IN THE FSM" I did, now I know what they do. Was that good advice? You bet your a.. it was.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Ya the primer is expensive, which makes using the butyl tape more appealing, especially for small windows like this. Most glass places around me won't come install glass you didn't buy from them..went through that once with another car. The tile X's are a good idea..I like that one.

Most won't come out and install glass you provide. What I eneded up doing was just finding a pro privatly. But if you really want a place to do it, they will do glass you supply, if you bring it into there shop, and you sign off they are not responsable.

Terry's Auto Glass did mine. I'm pretty sure they will come up to your place...they have been to my work which is only 10 miles away from you. They weren't exactly cheap though. I think I paid $130.

Respect goes both ways.

True. If members don't like the answers I give or the way I give them.......That is fine with me. But respect me for the time I spend looking them up. I could always be doing something else if I didn't care ;)

Phishfud calling me a a..hole in a reply (which was deleted) to one of my posts doesn't help to motivate me in spending time doing research to answer members questions ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

True. If members don't like the answers I give or the way I give them.......That is fine with me. But respect me for the time I spend looking them up. I could always be doing something else if I didn't care ;)

Bill

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Treating someone as if he is stupid for asking a question is disrespectful.

• Like 1

Cal be honest you did not even LOOK to see who posted the question did you .

if you had done so you would not have came on like you did .

while there's nothing wrong with suggesting new members get used to doing some looking and reading on their own,, how the words are typed does make a huge diff in how readers will take your meaning , try to tame it down a little ,and look to see who's asking

I can relate I seldom look at the posters name lol I know I need to more often :)

NOW on most cars plain simple BLACK RTV will suffice very well for a quarter window install , it will stick to both the glass and the trim ,don't like that there are several tube style glass sealers that will work but they are a lot more money then RTV , I think the last tube I bought was $18

NOW saying this while I said i'd use it (RTV ) on a quarter glass , i'd not use it on a windshield

but none of it is rocket science , if it was the guy couldn't do it in 5 min :(

now I didn't make this thread visable to step on Kev's toes but to make once again a POINT

GUY'S WE NEED TO LEARN TO LIVE TOGATHER , SOLVE OUR OWN PROBLEMS < AND STOP MAKEING EVERY THING A

PISSING CONTEST

if we are real lucky the only thing we'l ever get from this site is a post one day that goes

Dang what ever happened to 'what's his name I haven't seen him on for a while now '

and that's if we're lucky

I hid this thread because the OP received the info he wanted and that it would just turn into a back and forth session like it has (although I admit that I am part of the problem). I have a HUGE issue with a responder treating someone who asks a question in a disrespectful manner. That is not what this site is about. I know people get frustrated when they see questions asked multiple times, of simply nature, etc...but that is where self control comes to play and you simply have to ignore the post/thread.

kev

well I have installed 5 or 6 using blk RTV with no issues at all ,, blk only is adshive the rest of the colors are not

and basicly just wanted to post that and say a few words about being a little kinder when posting,, you know if it bothers you too much, simply ignore the thread or rely

as Kev said

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Treating someone as if he is stupid for asking a question is disrespectful.

If members get "butthurt" by the answers they receive when posting for help.....TOO BAD.

It is a STUPID question when the member who is asking the question has a copy of the Factory Service Manual. Either that member is too lazy to look up the information and answer their question for themselves, doesn't have the FSM (This is why I ask,and post the website to download the FSM) http://www.starquestgarage.com if the member doesn't have it) or doesn't know that the answer to 90% of the questions asked on SQC can be found in the FSM.

If a member is lazy or acts stupid.....They get treated as such by me

I am honest with members.....others would rather "sugarcoat" their responses ;)

Which helps no one.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Cal be honest you did not even LOOK to see who posted the question did you .

if you had done so you would not have came on like you did .

Like you did years ago when answering my questions???? That is like the pot calling the kettle BLACK ;) . I really did LOOK at who posted the original question. It was Phishfud, correct? I answer posts by reading them, doing research (if needed), perhaps asking questions,seeing through them, then answering them accordingly.

Don't like it, don't take my advice.

As far as Kev is concerned.....Leaves SQC for a number of years.............Comes back.......................Now, is a moderator again just like when he left, or abandon this site......................................Members who have been on this site for years, and never left, are now subjected to his RULE?

That is beyond my comprehension :(

I just retired from my managers position that I held for 13 years. So, if I decide to come back years later.....Should I automatically be a manager again?????

Bill

Edited by Caliber308