No fuel when tried to start.

Threedoor

After sitting for the winter I wanted to move the quest into the shop to start this years work... no dice! With some starter fluid it fires up and then dies. I didn't hear the fuel pump running so tried out jumpering what I think is the fuel pump test connection pictured below:

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s412/ThreedoorSQ/IMG_20130506_140954_307_zps4ece0695.jpg

Again, no noise from the fuel pump. The connector is in the front passenger side of the engine bay... is this the right connector?

What is my next step for trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by Threedoor

wrong wire for testing the fuel pump.... it is a single wire black with white strip i think and sometimes has a cap on it it is located passenger side by the air cleaner

Ahhh, using the right connector would probably help! I saw that single wire connector in the same area, but the service manual said to jumper the connector. When I read "jumper" it is to connect two wires together. Do I need to ground that connector to test the pump?

Also, any idea what I was short circuiting on the connector I was messing with?

Thanks,

Keith

The single wire (black with white stripe) bypasses the fuel pump relay. 12v + to that wire will turn on the pump.

The 2 wire connector you tried is the high altitude timing connector. You ground that connector when setting the timing above 3,900 feet.

or it was the connector for the cruise control

The cruise control actuator has 3 wires. The one in the pic has 2.

My cruise is still hooked up and operational as of last year, the connector I initially used had a cap on it.

Still no joy on the fuel pump. Next step is to directly access the pump and put 12V to it.

Keith

Pulled the top cover off that accesses the top of the fuel tank, I am pretty sure the connector I have here is for the fuel pump.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s412/ThreedoorSQ/IMG_20130508_181626_888_zpsd457d001.jpg

When 12V is applied I here a clunk, same as I faintly heard when applying 12V to the test connector in the engine bay. I assume this points to a failed pump. I already have a new pump, just haven't installed it yet.

Do we have a good thread on "how to" for a fuel pump replacement?

Thanks,

Keith

Pull fill tube off side, take bolts out of tank, tank comes down lol. Unplug that connecter first though lol

Don't forget to disconnect the fuel line going to the pump, before you lower the tank. If you don't disconnect the line, the tank can not be lowered far enough to remove the pump.

Edited by TopDawg_43

I tried back and forth a couple times since I didn't know what terminal was positive and what one was negative. I hate to swap pumps right now because tank is just about full. I will try bumping the pump back and forth a few more times.

Keith

Update:

After charging the battery I was using as a pump tester over night, and clunking it back and forth a few times I got the pump working! Put the connector back together and the car started up on the first turn of the key :D

Thanks for all the help trouble shooting this problem guys, this kind of support is what makes the forums great.

Keith

strange the last time I tried reverseing the pump wires it pop'd the diode ( little blk box thingie near the pump)

That black box is on the other side of the connector from the pump... How did you pop it applying voltage to the pump?

Keith