Techboy's 88 Starion SHP Save ....

techboy

Some people have been asking me why I took the dash out. Honestly, I didn't really want to, but I had two very good reasons. #1 - if you read earlier in this thread there's an electrical nightmare going on under there that I just think is going to be easier to sort out with it out. #2 - It's going to make it alot easier to reinstall things on the firewall when I don't have reach up under the dash to do things. Worked on #1 today ...

Here's what I found once I got the dash out of the way:

SuyVRn.jpg

This is what I mean by nightmare:

S2UxuF.jpg

QQS3f5.jpg

About an hour and half later of tracing lines and carefully removing. I still have a bit of soldering to do to repair things under the dash, but at least my Code Alarm 3000 is gone ... lol!

gmh7z5.jpg

do the heater core hose while you have access to it.

do it... do it NOW!!!

it should last you another 25 years plus piece of mind that you got it done!

Thank you!! Excellent advice Import. This is new to me though, I have't read up on this before - I'll have to do a little research ... is there an FAQ post or a link somewhere else you guys know of? Thanks.

did you check the FAQ???

just kidding here is the linkzzzz

8th post down then many pics in that post.

http://www.starquest...howtopic=131748

how to remove dash and get to the hose:

http://www.starquest...howtopic=107140

all in the FAQ

Ordered up 150 brand new 10mm bolts, just couldn't bring myself to use the old ones after seeing the car in fresh paint. I gotta order some 12mm ones as well.

hTi0By.jpg

And, I picked these up from Natallica ...

AMZrxC.jpg

great work, are you gonna install poly bushings as well?

I've thought about that, but I have to keep reminding myself I can't do everything at once. I'll have the car for long time, so I'm trying to focus just on what would be a total pain in the butt to do later vs. now, and what needs to be done to get the car up and running after sitting for so many years. Eventually I'll do the bushings ...

are you dis assembling and repainting the suspension components while you are at it??

Not right now. I have no intentions of keeping the current suspension. Once the car is put back together, running, registered, and all that stuff, the first thing I'll do is replace the suspension. If I can find a set of D2's, or, I do have a set of the ever elusive Eibach's in my garage. So, I don't really see any point in putting time/energy into the current stuff.

Where did you get the bolts? Great idea.

Found them at an eBay store called The Bolt Barn. Pretty cool, reminds me of an online Fastenal. They have a little bit of everything. They're Metric Grade 10.9, so they're not flimsy junk.

• Like 1

A member on here mentioned EvapoRust to me a while back and I figured I'd give it a go. Awesome stuff - works way better than I ever thought it would.

suUiGc.jpg

So, since then it's been brackets, brackets, and more brackets. Soak, scrub, prime, paint ....

B7arST.jpg

UlXZJl.jpg

Took a tip out of kev's steering gearbox rebuild thread and hit the gearbox with some POR15 and then coated it in some clear. I unbolted it much as I could to swivel it around without fully disconnecting it. 

I also have plans to do the trans tunnel in POR15 in the near future.

6F6OyH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on undercoating all four wheel wells this past weekend before all the new brake stuff goes back on.  I used the 3M Spray undercoating.

oDePc6.jpg

It's kind of a "dull" look, but much better than before.

VxRFto.jpg

On 10/20/2015 at 4:11 AM, randy said:

Did you clean that up a little before the coating?

I powerwashed the car during the summer before I took it down for paint, and I blasted out the wheels wells then. That said, I did clean them up best I could by hand before I undercoated. If you're asking if I took a whizzer under there and ground everything down before undercoating - then, no, I didn't.

If it weren't for the white over-spray that was in the wheel wells from the previous crap paint job I probably wouldn't have done anything to tell the truth. There was over-spray on this car everywhere (if you've read through the thread you've seen it). The paint shop actually sent all the door jam trim and weather stripping home with me to clean up and prep for re-installation. I spent hours this summer using chemicals and steel wool removing overspray. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new brake master cylinder as well. The old one was visibly leaking.  Ordered a DORMAN from RockAuto.  Here's the part number for future reference.

SE7Ac0.jpg

Got it all ready to be bench primed. Hoping to get the installed on the car this weekend as well as the brake lines and new hydraulic lines.

GIZtW0.jpg