Techboy's 88 Starion SHP Save ....

techboy

I'm about 99% those two harnesses that tie together under the battery tray don't disconnect. I didn't see any connectors there. It looks like it's a big loop. I haven't pulled it out yet, but I was hoping I could fold each half over the fender, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

this is the harness that went to the ac condensor fan back to the 2 fans on the radiator back under the battery

picture does not help BUT i had to repair it once long time a go.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Electrical/Harnes_Meltdown_3.jpg

Ok, well, I was 99% wrong. The harnesses are separate ... for whatever reason Mitsu weaved them together. If you cut all the ties you can separate them and fold the one over the drivers side and the other over the passenger side. Pics to come ...

Here's the pics from the progress over the weekend:

Passenger headlight assembly removed ...

ngZQMn.jpg

Wiring harness separated ... passenger side.

5yfnbG.jpg

Wiring harness ... drivers side.

DmMBoP.jpg

And ... an overall of where I'm at. Feeling like I'm on target for late June/early July paint ...

jwsJJL.jpg

I'm going to leave the gearbox in so the paint shop can at least steer the car. Much not left to pull.

Edited by techboy

With the wiring harness out, I noticed on each side where the P/O had spliced in for those aftermarket fog lights it looked a little suspicious .... like he had just twisted wires together or something. So, I decided to investigate ...

Sure enough, when I unwrapped the horrible electrical tape job, I found bare wire just twisted together:

qalDHR.jpg

Time to fix properly, I disconnected all the wires, slipped shrink tubing over, pulled out my soldering iron and soldered the joints back together.

RWQOFG.jpg

After I heated the shrink tube I re-wrapped the wiring loom in new electrical tape. Much better.

Q3O2nM.jpg

Edited by techboy

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break from the engine bay over the weekend and worked on separating the rear bumper assembly. After seeing the amount of rust on the front bumper assembly I wanted to see where the rear was at. Overall, not too bad at all. Little bit of rust, but for a car that will be garage kept and only driven to shows for the remainder of it's life, it should be OK.

WtiUpI.jpg

Every single bolt on the bottom sheared off, despite my best effort to ease them out. Not really a big deal, the ones on the top side are more than enough to hold everything in place.

mrbcKf.jpg

I also pulled the gas tank back out and filled it up with water twice and swished it all around to get as much junk as possible out and left it in the hot sun over the last 2 days to dry out before rust can set in. I'm still up in the air about whether or not I want to use this tank. I may drop the one on my Conquest when I get it close to empty just to kinda compare. Unfortunately, both cars are northeast cars and I have a feeling neither one is going to be any less rusty, but it might be worth a look.

JtVter.jpg

Edited by techboy

As usual, I worked a bit more on taking things outta the engine this weekend. I got the speed-o cable out, throttle cable, and CC cable out. I also got the slave out and started working on the clutch master cylinder, but I couldn't figure it out. I've replaced these in other cars before, but this one seems stuck. I got check the FSM out and see if I can figure it out. I'm very close now though - just a few more things to remove.

67PcnG.jpg

I also talked to the paint shop on the phone last week. The car has been "penciled" in the books for the end of June / beginning of July. So, it's starting to get really real now. Since the phone conversation I've spent every waking moment lately thinking about colors. I'm pretty sure I'm set on blue at this point, I went ahead and ordered some paint chips. I think I know what I want to go with - but I'm gonna hold off on sharing until I'm 100%. Stay tuned ....

Edited by techboy

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out the slave cylinder this weekend. Turns out the bottom bolt was hidden by a wiring harness inside the car and I just didn't see it. Once I found it and removed the bolt, it came right out.

mOlc6V.jpg

tb1ALp.jpg

I also worked on removing the door handles. I was really stuck for a while, until I finally gave up, washed my hands, came inside and sat down at the computer. I found a 2013 post from Burton explaining how to remove them (thanks advanced search button!), went back out to the garage and got them out no problem. Removing the factory "silver" sticker on the door jam and using the access hole and a big flat head screwdriver was key.

Q3RO6L.jpg

Edited by techboy

This one is actually not too bad. I had to replace the one on my 2G eclipse 2 years ago ... that was horrible. There's no room at between the firewall and the strut tower. It barely snakes out.

On 6/17/2015 at 6:12 AM, importwarrior said:

did you scuff it up before painting?

turned out nice

I didn't actually scuff anything ... just painted it. Maybe I should have. I painted a center section a few years ago on another car and all I did was shoot it and it's held up.

I did some more painting today.

gJNcQ3.jpg

eLKh7g.jpg

And, I also took the side spoiler pieces off. A little trickier than I thought it might be, but I figured it out.

OHa800.jpg

1uD0nB.jpg

Edited by techboy

Here's some goodies I've been collecting for when I'm on the other side of this and putting things back together ....

ABS elimination "kit"

lv4p06.jpg

Oil pan I had laying around I decided to have powdercoated.

jOOqXo.jpg

Some minty Starion tail lights I purchased off MotoCam a few months back. I haven't even opened them yet b/c I don't want anything to happen to them before they're installed.

048YuH.jpgSkO28W.jpg

And a 1G steering wheel I snagged at the local boneyard. There's actually nothing wrong with my OEM wheel ... but that's just it, it's probably the most perfect OEM wheel I've ever seen in person, so I'd rather take it off and preserve it. Zero blemishes, 58k steering wheels without all the sun exposure cracks don't come along often. So, I'm going to throw this 1G and use it instead.

Edited by techboy

Here's some goodies I've been collecting for when I'm on the other side of this and putting things back together ....

ABS elimination "kit"

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/6900/lv4p06.jpg

Looks nice, part #s and a write up?

The oil pan is awesome! How much did it cost? I got three I am thinking about having done.

I'd have to look at my receipt, but I think I paid $40. My powder coating guy is awesome. One of the best around in my opinion, and I've tried 4 different shops in the last decade. I'd be happy to share him with you .. http://www.hoffmanpowdercoating.com/ Check out the gallery page. I'll be heading back over there to drop more stuff off for the Starion, if you wanna ride along let me know.

Looks nice, part #s and a write up?

Check this thread: http://www.starquest...opic=147348&hl=

When I do the install I'll do I a write up with pictures b/c I've noticed alot of the older threads on how to do this are missing the pics now.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 1

Got some more pictures for ya' all. Finally got around to removing all the brake stuff today.

77Ja3y.jpg

KiYtb4.jpg

VzXhR5.jpg

Anybody want an ABS unit with 58K on it?? ... lol.

LDSdvK.jpg

So, I'm finally done. I told myself in January I'd give myself 6 months to pull it all apart. I didn't think it would literally come down to the last day of June, but that's as much as I'm pulling out. The passenger and driver side brake lines you see in the picture I also removed. I'm leaving the steering gear box in so the paint shop can move it around as necessary.

Edited by techboy

So, now that the car is all torn down and scheduled to hit the paint shop end of this coming week, it's time to talk paint. I've always been really inspired by Frenchi's old car and the blue he used on it. So, I'd love to something very similar.

xRpeEV.jpg

The problem is he painted his car himself and used Summit Racing paint. Professional paint shops don't buy paint from Summit Racing, it just doesn't work that way. So, I'm on the hunt for a blue that's pretty similar. The shop was kind enough to lend me the 2012-2014 paint chip book for all major manufactures. It's a great place to start, and, a little overwhelming. :P There's like a million colors in here.

Here's one Mitsu page - just for fun:

ca06Gu.jpg

I found a few I like that I think will give me the look I'm going for. We have a place nearby locally referred to as the "auto mile", loaded with dealership after dealership. I think I'm gonna head up there tomorrow since it's a Sunday, walk a few lots, and see I can a get a look at a few of the ones I've picked out in person.

Edited by techboy

Frenchi's blue can not be too far from the oem T87 Fiji.....looks realy close.

Why not just put a Mitsu oem paint code on it?......I love fiji :wub:

I agree, it is really close to the fiji. I think it's shade or two darker though, which I really like.

TechBoy, Nice job to be honest My favorite color is White! Day or Night it Always has a Nice Pop. But if your going in the Fuji family I would go with color PsiTsi went with (KemBase Royal Blue Metallic). Great work so far.....

Lol on the white. I've thought about keeping it white, I really have, with some black accents. I always thought that would look cool. At the end of the day, it's just not my favorite and I can't see spending all this money on something I'm not crazy about.

What manufacturer uses that color and do you have the code? I'll check it out ...

Edited by techboy