Techboy's 88 Starion SHP Save ....

techboy

It's a little duller in person. I find the camera flash always gives silver colors a little more brightness than they really have. It's a Dupi-Color silver. If you want the exact paint # I can look tomorrow when I'm at work.

I've tried other automotive paints before, and they've been ok, but I've always liked Dupi-color the best. They just always seem to lay nice for me. That said, I'm not one to paint everything, I actually prefer powdercoating just b/c it's more durable, but I can't afford to powdercoat everything - it's too costly.

I makes the parts look new which is good enough for me, like you said powder coating is expensive. Did you use a primer?

If paint is applied on good a good clean surface it lasts a long time, especially when it doesn't see road salt.

Edited by mbruneaux

I makes the parts look new which is good enough for me, like you said powder coating is expensive. Did you use a primer?

If paint is applied on good a good clean surface it lasts a long time, especially when it doesn't see road salt.

I did use a primer. I always use primer on metal surfaces.

I agree, paint can potentially last a long time, the draw back, and why I like powdercoating better, is that paint doesn't hold up to chemicals or fuel at all. So, if you're working on your car and something spills ..... your painting is down the tubes.

Finally got my tank drained yesterday. For others who may need to do this, here's how I did it. I put the tank up on saw horses and wedged a block of wood under the right side just give it a little tilt. Unscrewed the drain plug and let it fall in a 5 gallon bucket. Here's my setup:

5xtTno.jpg

I started to get really nervous about 3/4 of the way through process b/c I realized a didn't really have a plan for what I would do if there was more than 5 gallons of gas in the tank ... lol. Luckily, it stopped draining about 3 inches from the top of the bucket. Sorry, no action shots - my hands were a little tied up. I poured what I could into a 2 gallon gas can. A local shop is going to take it and throw it in their used oil burner. Here you can see the liquid level in the gas can:

0GNx02.jpg

Here's what's left in the bucket; this stuff smells sooooo bad.

Yd9Vvo.jpg

Edited by techboy

You going to strip and seal the inside of the tank?

Absolutely. I haven't decided what "kit" I'm going to go with yet. But, I have been looking at the POR-15 kit on Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239/overview/ There are a couple of others that seem decent as well.

Had about 2 hours in the garage yesterday. Got the front bumper assembly off.

a7PW8S.jpg

k7bGHj.jpg

You can see pretty clearly in these pictures that this car had a Macco paint job at some point in time. The overspray is everywhere, somebody did a horrible tape job, if they even used tape at all. The top of the metal bumper support should be black - not white!

JZhPF2.jpg

I also came across more random wiring. I was able to carefully undo all that - it was just an aftermarket fog light setup someone spliced in.

rcZiE4.jpg

PyadsC.jpg

I'm making progress. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until the whole engine bay is emptied out.

Edited by techboy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the next dose of where I'm at. I wanted to get the front bumper assembly separated, so that was this weekends project.

Getting started ....

YWzyZj.jpg

Got the front valance off. This a sweet one. Not a crack, split, or broken tab anywhere. It'll look great when it's been repainted.

6oTmrZ.jpg

Getting the bumper face separated from the bumper assembly. I will never understand for the life of me why Mitsu thought it would be a good idea to put a water-holding foam pad inside this thing, thus rotting out just about every bumper that's ever seen moisture.

8dUfQH.jpg

More grossness ... must have been a squirrel or mouse living in the front bumper at some time ... along with a vintage Klondike bar wrapper.

3QDarH.jpg

Top half of the bumper is in great shape. It's just the lower 1/3 that's really rusted, where the moisture sits. Might have to take this to a fab shop for a little attention.

cpibwi.jpg

Box-O-Rust anyone?

X8WD1F.jpg

Been working on cleaning the driveshaft in my spare time too ... pictures of that to come soon. Got an extra day off over Easter coming up here, I'm hoping to get some more of the engine bay torn down.

Edited by techboy

• 2 weeks later...

Focused on getting the front radiator/condensor area emptied out today. Here's where I started:

Ec0l8O.jpg

And here's where I ended:

6GG64B.jpg

Pretty much just have the left and right sides of the engine bay, the firewall, and the door handles to remove and I should be ready for paint! ;)

Edited by techboy

• 2 weeks later...

Minor Update: Paintless dent remover came out to the garage yesterday and worked about an hour and a half on my hood getting all the dimples and dings out. It's not perfect, but to the untrained eye, it looks perfect. It's a little depressing that 4 years later and I'm still correcting things from the tree damage. But forward progress is forward progress ...

Here's the hood pics from the repair work:

fZHcsx.jpg

6ftjgQ.jpg

7ze9za.jpg

Edited by techboy

there are a few painless people out here in VA.they do good work and at a decent price.

keep at it. it is coming along nice. for all your time and effort you better keep this one for a while.

I hear you man. After passing up on Dale's car back in September and deciding to stick with this project I knew I was going to have to be committed. I'll probably have this car for life.

Edited by techboy

Been doing some work on the driveshaft in my spare time. Here's what I started with:

51xBLL.jpg

Did the best I could on the wire wheel and then primed it.

0H9chp.jpg

I hand brushed on 2 coats of the blue in Enamel Rustoleum I had left over from my kids swing set I repainted last summer. No reason for the color at all, I just happened to have some extra. :P

1btUtW.jpg

I sprayed the universals on each end with some flat black. It'll eventually flake off ... lol

t253gO.jpg

Edited by techboy

Worked on emptying out the passenger side of the engine this weekend. I basically only have the wiring harness and ABS module left. I'll remove that when I take all the brakes off the car.

t4oCl4.jpg

TXd9H9.jpg

This is officially the longest vacuum line ever ... this is the one that runs from the intake manifold all the way around the engine bay to that vacuum thing next to the drivers headlight.

gX3RQQ.jpg

I felt really intimidated yesterday doing all this. I kept thinking to myself there's no way I'm ever going to get this car back together and have it run despite my efforts to be super-organized. I've been bagging and tagging everything and taking lots of digital photos as I go (half of which I've haven't posted). I've also been storing parts in boxes according to location. Don't even really know why I'm sharing this ... hopefully maybe it'll help someone else trying to do this ...

AklASl.jpg

Edited by techboy

organization is key.

the longest vac line goes to the Vacuum Pump in

the front of the car. durring boost the vac pump

keeps the foot face actuators working properly.

make sure to put the check valves back pointing

in the proper direction.

You are doing a much better job organizing than I did. But it is amazing how things fall into place when you get to the point of assembly. It is daunting at the start but once you start laying parts into position, it just flows.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see this car all back together

Made some more progress this weekend on the drivers side.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/t4oCl4.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/TXd9H9.jpg

Figured out how to get the pop-up headlight out too. I never removed one before so that was a new venture. 5 bolts ... not too bad.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/4H3H8t.jpg

So I'm basically down to the brake master cylinder, brake lines, and the wiring harness. I was looking at the wiring harness, it looks like it wraps all the around the engine bay with no breaks. Anybody have any experience in removing this and can point me in the right direction. I feel like I remember reading somewhere a while back that disconnected inside the fenders? Is that true? I took the wheel liner out, but you can't see the harness from there. I have to do some homework on this.

****More Pictures I cannot find to restore.  Will keep looking.

Edited by techboy

all i can tell you is that the engine harness for the injectors and all that stuff went

down the side of engine under battery trey up across the upper radiator support.

to other passenger head light. then in to the hole on passenger fender.

the radiator fans starting from the AC fan go in to the hole near passenger head

light come out and go across the upper radiator support and tie in under the battery

trey