new owner with some problems

My first issue is the old owner broke the wiper switch so he pulled the wires out im not sure what to do with this situation. My next problem is he purchased a stage 2 turbo kit off of a starion it ran Fine for 9 months then the first time he opened it up popped a head gasket. I have wanted One of these since I was 15 I am now getting ready to turn 26 this year been around these cars for a while so now im the proud owner of an 1987 April conquest.

Sean.

Edited by seans87Quest

I'd recommend getting a new or used wiper switch, wipers are kind of important. You can download the factory service manuals at http://www.starquestgarage.com for wiring information. I also recommend restoring the turbo setup to stock once you make sure no other damage was done when the head gasket went. Put it back the way the factory had it and you'll have a great daily driver for a long time.

Welcome to the addiction.

Unfortunately the web site is under construction I replaced the wiper motor stuck a screwdriver in the column and it works so now I'm not sure what the wiring go's to think it might be rear portion if wipers but not sure. I started cleaning the engine bay from all the grime intercooler was loaded rinsed it 9 times finally got it running clear when they repainted the front portion of the bumper they over sprayed onto the intercooler sanded it down and got it back to a shine again took a few hours though well worth it. I got new filters,plugs,wires,oil,coolant so we are going to see how it looks when I start tearing the top half apart to change this head gasket.

That site works bout not all years are there ... Click service manual then 1988 and its all there. 87 -89 cars are the same with the later cars getting some tweaks like metal knock box's, 3port waste gate and better ecu

well i started tearing the engine apart and come to fine out on the the oil valve on cylinder 3 is broken the extention on the rocker arm was broken and the small valve waslaying next to the port it should have been clossing it so im going to just close the port up and put it back together see how she runs. Edited by seans87Quest

Ok so hello to every one my problem is I'm not sure were to start. When I start my 87 she smokes BAD and stinks like burned oil When I open the hood small amounts of oil are coming out of the down Pipe bolts manifold bolts it sputters and misses but kinda drives just sounds like s***. When I started working on it I found that one small springs on cylinder 3 was broken and laying next to the port so just like the upgraded head I filled the hole with high heat jb weld but apparently that was not the problem opened it back just to mae sure it held I let it sit for a few days checked it with a pick to make sure it was cured. She still sputters and spits even has oil coming out the exhaust My wife says I'm on a budget so I'm not sure what to do any advice would be greatfully apreciated

Thank you

Sean.

Edited by seans87Quest

By the way thanks for the help came in handy while out under the hood felt good getting under the hood of MY first Quest/ well to be honest first time i have ever worked on one. mine is completely stock had the turbo checked it is stock not a stage 2 like the seller told me it was but thats ok I wanted a bone stock original quest .Interior is in good shape for 25 years old just need to clean it out from all the parts and before any one ask yes I cleaned every part before I put it in the car even put plastic down can never be to cautious to protect your baby. Edited by seans87Quest

The oil is likely coming from bad valve seals or a bad turbo. It is possible to replace the valve seals with the head on the car. The head really should have went in a shop when it was off the car. If there was a lot of oil in the intercooler, than the turbo and rings are suspect.

Get a camera and post pictures of the wiring issues and turbo kit. It is hard to do much very fast on a tight budget.

Roger that I have pics on profile the pics are to large to add to post. I have not pulled the head off yet but will be running compresion test on Monday to see what it tells me hopefully i can bring this quest back to life.

post-25589-0-63636000-1362242689_thumb.jpg

post-25589-0-83394600-1362242880_thumb.jpg

post-25589-0-37347800-1362242945_thumb.jpg

Edited by seans87Quest

The turbo is a stock unit, maybe with a bigger compressor. We need a better shot of the compressor housing that shows how much it might have been bored out where the compressor inlet is, to make a guess what it size it may. For the wires/turn signal you need a new cluster switch. Like this. The part you removed and ex poxed the hole shut was a jet valve. There are cheep eliminator kits that can be used there. Basically a bolt the right size with a o-ring.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Parts%20for%20sale/th_008.jpg

ok so i talked with the previous owner and much to my suprise the block has been rebuilt and decked in 2010 everything replaced the original head put back on the car and the original turbo rebuilt and put back on but it leaks oil out the sides of the turbine into the the intercooler and out into the exhaust smokes white LOTS and sputters dosnt have much power barley enough to move it around in the drive way to keep the comunity off my back!! im not sure how to post videos or even if i can stilll new to the site but i have taken a video of it and it brings a tear to my eye but im sure with all the help I have receved from eveyry one hear i realy apreciate all the help

TO : starquestRescue : i have figured out my wiring issue it is simply the wires that are inside of the switch for the cruse con. and wiper speed con. the wipes still work i have come up with a solution untill i can get my hands on a cluster switch to R&R (remove&replace) but i apreciate the help

Edited by seans87Quest

I was gonna say bad turbo... sounds just like what was happening on the wifes car when her turbo went out. Just make sure to prime the new one when you're puting it on... If you don't, you can possibly do damage to the new one.

do a compression test first, post numbers here before tearing it down.

there might be oil al down the piping and in the intercooler. might need to clean out the intercooler.

it could act like a tank and store some oil if you didnt clean it out. when you run the car it draws oil

from the intercooler, smokes like crazy and kills mosquitos

so did a compression check and all good but i noticed oil spitting out the sides of the head around the gasket and a nice big crack on the intake side and another broken jet valve just bought a new head with the eliminator kit ready to rock and hopefully it will ROLL... Edited by seans87Quest

so the wife and I started tearing the head out today to put a new Hg on just to find out that the old owner blasted the spark plugs with a impact and shredded the spark tubes. We decided to get a new head do the timing chain and guides and seriously clean the engine bay do some painting put it back together hope it runs the way it should.

the list of things replaced:: valve cover and gasket , turbo and gasket , timing cover,chain,sprockets,guides , Intercooler , piping , brakes ,

well hopefully by the end of this repair we will have a good running daily driver for use to sport around in hear and there.

If it runs good then we start the body work to get ride of the rust on the quarter panels the bottom lip portion of the pass. side is completely gone I'm going to have to rebuild it completely.

We have decided on paint were going to stay with the atlantic blue she came out with but going to do some accents in black , pin stripe the wide body out lines i was thinking of painting parts of the engine with a hemi orange but i have decided to go with a cobalt blue for the engine accents think it will contrast with the body really well as well as do some interior work clean and paint to match and do some needed R&R (remove&replace) on the broke or miss matched parts like all the pillars are different colors and material , stereo bezel is broken , center console around shifter , e-brake , rear speaker covers and most of the deck lining.

So i guess we will see how everything go's this weekend when we start working on putting it back together

Edited by seans87Quest

• 2 weeks later...
got my cylinder head in the mail ( thanks TIM from motocam360 ) last week going to go ahead and do the timing while im in there. new gaskets from top to bottom. while i have been working on the car the last few weeks have come to a conclusion on a few things that i would like to do to the car nothing fancy or flashy im going to keep it stock ( semi ) and since there is no exhaust on it now i have decided to build my own custom 3" exhaust from the pre cat were he cut it off ( he scraped it ).So it is just a down pipe right now only about 6" or so of ehxaust pipe on the car right now. We havent decided weather or not we want to take a little bit longer on the exhaust and make it a daul out the back the wife knows i can build it just going to take a bit longer

so i got the head off and clean up the block every thing looks good even the piston walls look good no wear on the walls only had one bolt brake on the thermo housing going to drill and try to back it out if not going to drill and tap it then get all the way down to the crank pulley just to find out that there is JB-weld packed into it so I have to buy another part from Tim at MOTOCAM360 again but I really hope that I don't run into any more problems im running out of funds to keep replacing stupid stuff he did to this car im not really sure how much more I can handle but I guess to at least get it running and driving so while I am working on it I am going to clean engine bay there is about half inch of grim every were I spent most of my time cleaning parts off in a tub of diesel fuel mixture and a nother tub of water and dawn dishsoap about 3 large bottles in a 40 gallon tub. it is starting to clean up nicely I cant wait to fire it up and drive it around for the first time im sure it will feel great. Edited by seans87Quest