Feeler: NikoFab Mud Flaps

NikoFab

TPO is a thermoplastic that, as a standard, finishes in a medium satin, much akin to the unpainted factory material (not the softies). From what I already know, there are additives that can give a glossier finish. I have emailed the supplier to verify this. Of course if you want an absolute mirror/gloss finish, it would need to be painted.

Nick

Edited by NikoFab

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TPO is a thermoplastic that, as a standard, finishes in a medium satin, much akin to the unpainted factory material (not the softies). From what I already know, there are additives that can give a glossier finish. I have emailed the supplier to verify this. Of course if you want an absolute mirror/gloss finish, it would need to be painted.

Nick

In that case I would like to have them painted by Burton, just let me know costs when you figure everything out with the flaps(so no rush :)). All the factory matieral on my car was painted by the PO, I personally love the look of it with my black car and want to keep it going.

I was wondering if you were going to do these in TPO as well! Good call on that, in my opinion. It'll be good to know that the mud flaps are just as strong as the air dams! I'm crossing all my fingers hoping that this group buy takes off and does so in a cost effective way. I was honestly quite surprised to see how expensive SQ mud flaps are compared to other cars. I regularly see the Miata peeps just GIVING entire sets of mud flaps away on the forums haha!

In that case I would like to have them painted by Burton, just let me know costs when you figure everything out with the flaps(so no rush :)). All the factory matieral on my car was painted by the PO, I personally love the look of it with my black car and want to keep it going.

Roger that sir. I haven't even talked to Mark about it yet...but I know he's anxious to start using that beautiful new shop of his (I'm jealous). He's going to be doing the paint job on my '86 later this Spring.

I was wondering if you were going to do these in TPO as well! Good call on that, in my opinion. It'll be good to know that the mud flaps are just as strong as the air dams! I'm crossing all my fingers hoping that this group buy takes off and does so in a cost effective way. I was honestly quite surprised to see how expensive SQ mud flaps are compared to other cars. I regularly see the Miata peeps just GIVING entire sets of mud flaps away on the forums haha!

Well it just seemed to be the right call to me. It's durable, flexible, and paintable. I think if there's enough interest, we can get these done for a decent price point. I've seen some sets sell as high as $600...I'm shooting to cut that in half...or get close.

Nick

200-300 for a full set with hard ware is a good price to me for OEM style. i wouldnt be apposed to having CF or the like if they were closer to the 125ish range. of course materials like that would make them more prone to cracking, but i dont think they would be taking near the abuse of something like the front airdam (like curbs and birds and small children). and i like carbon fiber :D

I'm wondering if CF would hold up considering their placement on the vehicle? I know alot of guys don't get the CF airdams for the same reason.

Just an FYI, I have that MK1 CF airdam and it's tough as hell, nice and thick. It's taken some hits, only chipped the resin on the corner. I would bet those guys have never actually seen one in person, who are afraid of buying one. CF would be fine for mudflaps unless you want them to be flexible. Low cars will probably drag them over speed bumps.

Good luck, watching!

Just an FYI, I have that MK1 CF airdam and it's tough as hell, nice and thick. It's taken some hits, only chipped the resin on the corner. I would bet those guys have never actually seen one in person, who are afraid of buying one. CF would be fine for mudflaps unless you want them to be flexible. Low cars will probably drag them over speed bumps.

Good luck, watching!

ahhh speed bumps.. i forgot about those

Good luck, watching!

Well I looked at FG and CF as options, but as with the air dam group buy, most people wanted something with a little more give. And the way they make speedbumps these days...ouch! Anyway, still working on this project, and will dedicate more full-time to it once I get some other group buys closed out.

Cheers and thanks,

Nick

Well I looked at FG and CF as options, but as with the air dam group buy, most people wanted something with a little more give. And the way they make speedbumps these days...ouch! Anyway, still working on this project, and will dedicate more full-time to it once I get some other group buys closed out.

Cheers and thanks,

Nick

Nick, If you do go forward with this and you get a mold made I'd be interested in paying the extra money to get a set of carbon fiber ones made. I was planning on doing this anyway but if you have a mold this would save me some time.

Nick, If you do go forward with this and you get a mold made I'd be interested in paying the extra money to get a set of carbon fiber ones made. I was planning on doing this anyway but if you have a mold this would save me some time.

I'd have to check in on it. The mold I'm having made may only be suitable for TPO, not be suitable for CF. I'll have to find out for you.

Nick

I'd have to check in on it. The mold I'm having made may only be suitable for TPO, not be suitable for CF. I'll have to find out for you.

Nick

I would suspect that you'd need a different mold for FG or CF parts. I would also suspect CF to be more expensive than the TPO.

I looked into it and this mold is tooled for use with TPO only. There are places that will do CF. But having looked into it, CF is most likely going to cost you more than TPO, to say nothing of having to foot the bill for the molding as well.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you have tyo keep comin' out w/products I'd LOVE to get?? Gonna end up spendin' more $$$ than I've got!!LOL!!!

LOL....do you want me to stop?!

This one is a little ways off sir...won't move forward until air dam buy is in motion. I'll put you down on the interested list.

Nick

Edited by NikoFab