Feeler: NikoFab Mud Flaps

NikoFab

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so expensive for the molds. But just here to show interest even if it doesn't go through. Maybe one day though.

We'll see how it comes along. The wiper cowl project comes first...there's definitely more demand for it, and it's not as complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked into it and this mold is tooled for use with TPO only. There are places that will do CF. But having looked into it, CF is most likely going to cost you more than TPO, to say nothing of having to foot the bill for the molding as well.

Nick

Depending on how the 2 part tool/mold is designed, it could easily be suitable for both parts. The CF part would just be a wet layup, not an injection process on the female side of the tool. That woudl leave an A and B side, the A side, outward facing, with the CF floss fiinish, the B side toward the front having a rougher look, easily paintable to black or to match the wheel well. I hope that makes sense. The material and time for layup would obviously make the CF parts more expensive. I would definetely not go that route, as CF is strong in tension, but not designed for impact resistance, which is what these parts would be taking from rocks and such.

Depending on how the 2 part tool/mold is designed, it could easily be suitable for both parts. The CF part would just be a wet layup, not an injection process on the female side of the tool. That woudl leave an A and B side, the A side, outward facing, with the CF floss fiinish, the B side toward the front having a rougher look, easily paintable to black or to match the wheel well. I hope that makes sense. The material and time for layup would obviously make the CF parts more expensive. I would definetely not go that route, as CF is strong in tension, but not designed for impact resistance, which is what these parts would be taking from rocks and such.

That would work with a lay-in or lay-on mold, such as you use with fiberglass or CF. But with vacuum molding, it's a stump-style mold, so you have to have individual molds for each piece. And you have to use vacuum molding with TPO. If you go with a urethane base, then it's injection molding, even more expensive by a factor of about five.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...