Dash/headlights died

88FIJIQUEST

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums (engineering degree takes a lot out of me) but I'm looking for some of that famous insight you all seem to have.

Recently my headlights died, I figured it was just the bulbs going out since one went out then the other (high beams and everything else still worked). Until the other day when I put the lights on the dash lights flickered and then everything died.. So now the only lights that work are blinkers, and brake lights.

I checked fuses and fusible links and they all seem fine. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to look into next? It's my DD and I've been trying to research this but it seems like asking on here might work out better since one of you all knowing folk might have the answer right away.

Any help/advice is appreciated as usual.

Thanks,

Evan

thanks guys, i'll have to recheck my grounds. the car came with an aftermarket radio when I got it. where is the dimmer switch?

Also, to add to this: the headlights also no longer pop up as well.. if that info helps.

thanks guys, i'll have to recheck my grounds. the car came with an aftermarket radio when I got it. where is the dimmer switch?

Also, to add to this: the headlights also no longer pop up as well.. if that info helps.

the dimmer is to the left of the steering wheel on the dash and its a dial next to the de-fog button and to remove it you have to take out the cluster and some other stuff

The fusible links "seem" fine. Look ok or not that's where I'd start. They can look ok but be separated internally. The block where their harness plugs into the main harness also can overheat and melt.My 88 did this some years ago one night. If I remember right, the tails worked though. Had a bad link.

If those all check out ok I'd look at the headlight switch itself. It can be taken apart and cleaned.