MPI general guide lines

Which stand-alone system allows you to eliminate ecu completely and still perform all of the functions of the stock units or should Sal ' s be used as systems that control fuel & ignition only while stock controls other functions ? I ask this because I would like to replace my stock ecu with a haltech ps 1000 and use smart coils for ignition. So is anyone here operating a stand-alone that controls all of the stock ecu functions

All of the stock ECU functions? No. The idle speed control (ISC) is a real oddball on these cars, current actually flows both directions to make it move, no support exists for that in any aftermarket system. The good news is you really don't need it. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is a frequency based one, some aftermarket systems will support it but it also has an upper limit that you will reach quickly so it's probably best to either move do a higher capacity voltage based MAF or just go speed density with a MAP sensor. Only the 86's came with a real Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor between the intercooler outlet and the throttle body inlet so you will need to add one if you're not in possession of an 86. You speak of smart coils, I assume you're talking about a distributorless system with either wasted spark or fully sequential coils, in that case you'll be eliminating the stock ignitor (knock box) which eliminates your knock sensor. Again you can find systems that support knock sensing in the aftermarket but I personally have yet to see one that does anything more than needlessly pull timing above 4500 rpm.

But, as someone that daily drives an MPI Starquest with aftermarket ECU, it's better than stock.

Thanks for the info Scott , I will go with MAP, get IAT sensor , going distributorless , eliminating knock sensor , but with going distributorless will I still be able to use the stock rpm guage, it seems to work with distributor , so how can I get a signal / pulse back to rpm guage. I am going with the smart coil to eliminate the need for ignition module

Yes you can, there are a couple of ways to do it. Often the aftermarket system will have a tach output, that would be the simple approach but you do have to modify the instrument cluster circuit for the tach to make it work, essentially you bypass or jumper the power resistor. Look up ZacMan's posts and you should find the procedure. Otherwise you can use the Zener diode approach, search for EDIS users and there is a writeup on the parts required.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks again gentlemen I found the zachman how to on ausiestarion board, he basically shorted across the tach resistor and used a 12v square wave tach output from haltech unit which is the way I will be going since I have to pull the cluster to replace bust guage.

On a side note scotty I have a ? for u kinda off topic, I saw in a thread were u bought a tep stage 3 build from guy in mexico I think, for like 2G, was that a true deal and what did u do with that motor, was the quality of build good,because I am basically getting that from tep u can pm me the answer if u want