Looking into turbo options

FieroGTFan

I currently have the factory TD-05 12A turbo still installed on my 89' Conquest. However it is pushing oil past the seals. I was curious of your opinions, I was planning on keeping the car stock and simply restoring it to original. I would like to keep the factory turbo on the car, however I am concerned about the durability of the 12A. If I was to get it rebuilt, where do you guys reccomend sending it to get this done? Is it worth a rebuild, or simply more worth while to buy a new 16G turbo? As I said before I am trying to keep the car stock but not lose money over rebuild after rebuild.

Thanks

Rebuild it yourself, all it takes is an investment into some sturdy snap ring pliers. While its apart send the turbine housing off to have it machined for a 06SL2 turbine wheel. Purchase wheel from ebay, put it all back together and enjoy.

I was curious though, would it be necessary to run a bigger compressor wheel? I am not looking to make the car into any kind of race car or anything, at least not yet. ;) I am simply looking to run the stock 7.5 psi and keep the car from blowing up. Should I replace the compressor and turbine wheel with a new one simply for good measure? It appears they are both in pretty good shape already though. Thanks for all of the input. Also, is there anyway to polish up the turbo? :D

If there both in good shape no cracks chips or fins busted off then they should be fine. And if you want more power sure. There is a guy that made over a little 200 to the wheels with stock turbo. And your not gonna blow it up even with your 12a at 20psi lol as long as fuel system is good and everything else is in good order. And as far as polishing no idea never looked into it. But it is aluminium so I'm sure it could be done

Before you install a larger turbo I'd suggest that you review the below FAQ and take what it says to heart. Make sure your Lady's 23 year old drive train can handle the increased boost, torque & HP.

Breakage can get very expensive if you don't.

http://www.starquest...showtopic=66449

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I really appreciate that post some good information thank you. I am not looking to make this car into a race car at all right now. I am trying to save it from the last owners beating actually. I am taking it slow and asking the experts (you guys) anytime I have a problem. I want to rebuild the turbo simply to get the thing running without the oil getting pushed through.

I am in love with these cars, I know they can be quick but I just love showing it off in its prime 80's glory. I am a poor college student just trying to revive this beautiful creature.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the help guys. Gonna make the turbo rebuild into a short little winter project. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to get the Conquest going. She needs injectors and the turbo rebuild, a hours on the weekend should get me the money for winter to get her all ready for spring! :)