dog box

boostin20lbs

Most people who modify their cars don't race them. It'd be a pretty awesome mod.

Most people who modify their cars don't race them. It'd be a pretty awesome mod.

Why? I just don't see the point. It would be a lot of money and would just make your trans noisy as all hell. If shifting without a clutch is what your after you can do that with the stock trans... Or are you really putting down that much power that you need the added strength... I highly doubt it.

im interested in the PPG dog box by what ive read and seen is its actually isnt bad as a daily driver but handles going to the track. i jiust wanted to know if any one on here has done it before. im just curious

Well, if you really want to invest that amount of money, get it with synchros. If you go full dogbox, its extremely risky. I almost went with a dogbox on my VW, but it was just way outta budget and too risky to mess up. Shifting those trans requires you to shift as if you're racing all the time and sounds like it too. Do loootttsss of research before going that route. Granted, they will hold up to serious power.

That video doesn't do justice to the noise it makes. and dont get me wrong, i wish i had a dogbox, but realistically, its not practical in the least bit. I almost went down that road (as mentioned) but it just isn't worth the risk & $$$. especially when you can get a t56, t5, r154, etc. which all have a good market to upgrade and beef up white still having some change leftover.

If I'm not mistaken, the weak link in the KM132 trans we have isn't the gear set itself, but the case. If I understand correctly, under high torque load the gears are pushing the shafts apart and the case cannot contain that movement, which then mis-aligns the gears and strips teeth. That was the reason the '88-'89 boxes had beefy bottom plates instead of the pre-'88 stamped steel piece, or so I thought.

that noise is from the straight cut gears. There are tons of internal options from tons of companies. If YOU dont race often, theres absolutley no reason for it.

the noise in that video is majorly from the straight cut gears.

If I were gonna spend that kind of money for a street car, Id consider a jerico box with road race sliders for downshifting.

a full R154 swap is less than $1800 done right.

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken, the weak link in the KM132 trans we have isn't the gear set itself, but the case. If I understand correctly, under high torque load the gears are pushing the shafts apart and the case cannot contain that movement, which then mis-aligns the gears and strips teeth. That was the reason the '88-'89 boxes had beefy bottom plates instead of the pre-'88 stamped steel piece, or so I thought.

Straight cut gears eliminate that spreading, right? So actually it IS the gears that are the problem because they bend the shafts apart and then impact the case. I haven't had one break, but after one 5th gear pull the bearings were whining really loud. My current trans doesn't shift for crap. Maybe bad synchros.

Straight cut gears eliminate that spreading, right? So actually it IS the gears that are the problem because they bend the shafts apart and then impact the case.

NO.....

Gears transfer all the power at a tangent to the tooth contact,

SO,

helical gears also force the shafts forward and backward. This force has to be taken up by the bearings. This causes more heat/friction in the bearings.

Straight cut gears will cause less friction on the bearings because there only radial (spinning) forces rather than axial (forward/backwards) forces as well as axial forces.

The reason Mitsubishi "thickened" the bottom plate was the original metal plate was being damaged because of people using it as a jacking point . The thick plate DOES provide a bit more rigidity to the box, but the flex in the shafts is what causes the teeth to fail.

Third gear is the major culprit because there is a larger step between 2nd and 3rd gear.

The reason the Toyota W5x gearboxes are stronger, is because there is a steel plate in the middle of the gearbox which reduces the shaft flex.

Google is your friend. Use it...

Cheers.

Edited by superscan811
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...