rear diff cover gasket

allen405

I am trying to get one for my '87 and I can't find one anywhere and I can't find any part #'s. I got one from Rockauto .com but it was completely wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I used RTV gray, follow the instructions with the product you buy.

Normally I put it on both parts, wait 15 or so minutes and put it back together.

Just don't over tighten it.

Ok, thanks. I'd much rather have a gasket tho'

I can understand that comment but remember these diffs have gone well over 20 years without a gasket and no leaks. But if you must use a gasket it's part # MB160579 Or just cut out one from gasket paper.

Didn't come with one. Mitsu had them siliconed on from the factory. Only need a gasket if the cover is warped or gouged.

Most of the newer cars now dont use gaskets in many aplications including oil pans, timing covers and diff's. Surprised Mitsu was doing this waaay back.

• 4 months later...

New part no. 3501A331 Rear Gasket Cover appox. $9.40 from http://www.ricartmitsubishiparts.com

MB160579 was super seeded from Mitsubishi with this part no. 3501A331. Johnny Wadd got it right ;) . So, no need to use just silicone like some members suggested. One thing that kills me is this. One member even said this....." Mitsubishi has never had a gasket for this application" Well, I just gave you the old part no. and the new one, so did Johnny ;) I will not mention the members name. But if you look through the thread above....You will find it :D .

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I can understand that comment but remember these diffs have gone well over 20 years without a gasket and no leaks.

Come on Jeff.....Really. They had this gasket (MB160579) when they came off the boat from Japan.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Didn't come with one. Mitsu had them siliconed on from the factory. Only need a gasket if the cover is warped or gouged.

Jeff, your killing me. 1987 Starion FSM. Section 3. Page 48. Differential Carrier (Limited Slip Differential) What is no.4 on the Disassembly steps. Could it be the GASKET for the Differential Cover?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Saved as evidence of your abusive nature so you can't delete them later. I'll let the mods handle your bile.

New part no. 3501A331 Rear Gasket Cover appox. $9.40 from http://www.ricartmitsubishiparts.com

MB160579 was super seeded from Mitsubishi with this part no. 3501A331. Johnny Wadd got it right ;) . So, no need to use just silicone like some members suggested. One thing that kills me is this. One member even said this....." Mitsubishi has never had a gasket for this application" Well, I just gave you the old part no. and the new one, so did Johnny ;) I will not mention the members name. But if you look through the thread above....You will find it :D .

Bill

Come on Jeff.....Really. They had this gasket (MB160579) when they came off the boat from Japan.

Bill

Jeff, your killing me. 1987 Starion FSM. Section 3. Page 48. Differential Carrier (Limited Slip Differential) What is no.4 on the Disassembly steps. Could it be the GASKET for the Differential Cover?

Bill