Newer...need help

kuhnniks

Hey everyone I havent actually introduced myself. I'm Nick an I live in south fl. I've had my starion for about 8 months and been doing alot of work. kinda been getting screwed by the guy doing it but its whatever. I would like to meet some people down here with the starquest so if anyone is in the area hit me up. I do need help however i have a sputter when im on it around 4900 rpm not quite sure whats going on. its a stock 12a i had a 16g but that had gone bad along with everything else in the car haha. But i want to rebuild my 16g an i need to know whats good psi on the stock 12a and whats a good psi on 16g. those are just a few questions thanks...

thats the first thing is getting it perfect. Its got 70000 or so on the motor and every single seal an line has been changed an new stg 3 clutch all new well everthing lol. port an polish head 274 cam new racing vavles and alot more .... so not much left i hope. haha It was running 17psi on the 16g an now i am at like 12psi on stock turbo. just the sputter is my issue and dont know what it is thanks for the tip on the filters ill take a look soon. http://s1229.photobucket.com/profile/kuhnniks there is plenty of pics haha

There are only 5 fuel filters on a stock car. Not 7. One in the tank, the little cone in the inlet of the pump, the main large one in the engine bay, and a screen above each injector.

Things that can cause a miss:

1. Bad injector(s)

2. Bad spark plug

3. Weak coil

4. Bad injector clips

5. Cracked head

6. Broken jet valve

I made that bold because I had that problem once and I replaced plugs, wires, and the coil, tried a bunch of different stuff, and finally, I found that. I wasted a lot of money. An elimination kit is less than 15 bucks I think.

well it seems to do it mostly when cold an under boost above 4900 rpms.. almost like its misfiring... im running really rich also so its deft getting enough fuel i never lean out. I have the stock coil but not sure how good it still is. An someone had also said its my vacuum advance. I do have a small oil leack from the distributer. what do you think before i start taring things apart haha

Dude, your car looks killer! Get some polished aluminum center caps for those awesome wheels and you will be blinding people :)

As far as your sputtering issue... do you have some way of tuning the fuel curve? If it was previously set up for 17 psi on a 16G and you are now running 12 psi on a 12a it could be running so rich that it causes it to sputter. Do you have a wide band O2 sensor and gauge?

Keith

You can check the engine internals with a compression tester, jet valves are easy to inspect. You take the valve cover off and you can see them next to the intake valves. remove the rocker assembly and test the action of the jet valves, if they are all smooth and all return to the top after you press them, they might be ok. You can inspect the valve itself if you unscrew them from the head. Easy, and free (at least for the jet valves).