Relocated battery to the back..

so my odyssey battery pc680 was just not cutting it.. would die frequently and i would always need to charge it.. so i decided to finally just get a bigger stronger battery and move it to the back. so i bought a optima yellow top and built it a custom holder.. granted this is my first time welding anything my welds suck badly haha.. but it holds. now all i gotta do is run the cables and im done..

do you think it will make a difference if i run side post vs top posts?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/maricherry1987/Starion%20stuff/SAM_0113.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/maricherry1987/Starion%20stuff/SAM_0114.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/maricherry1987/Starion%20stuff/SAM_0112.jpg

Edited by thagremlin

well at most i let it sit for about 2 weeks.. i checked it once and a while to make sure all was good. but when i went to start it i got nothing. ive had the battery for about 2 years now havent driven the car that much in that period of time. and when ever i did get it charged i kept it disconnected. i maybe had a bad battery or something. also i was on a stock alternator not sure if thats going to make a difference..

i like the battery because i was able to keep it up front and not worry about relocating. but i cant keep paying 20 bucks to get it charged. plus i think 750cca is more reliable than 220cca.

• Like 1

so my odyssey battery pc680 was just not cutting it.. would die frequently and i would always need to charge it.. so i decided to finally just get a bigger stronger battery and move it to the back. so i bought a optima yellow top and built it a custom holder.. granted this is my first time welding anything my welds suck badly haha.. but it holds. now all i gotta do is run the cables and im done..

do you think it will make a difference if i run side post vs top posts?

The odyssey is a good little battery but your right if you forget an accessory or don't drive enought they leave you stranded, you can run them in parallel and get more capacity and they can be divded to both sides

but what you did is acceptable and the usual you could always take the odyssey and use it as a redundant second and run it in parallel in the stock location and mount it sideways.

allot of rally and road race vehicles use redundant systems two batteries two fuel pumps two is better than one in respect that you won't be stranded in adverse conditions.

The odyssey is a good little battery but your right if you forget an accessory or don't drive enought they leave you stranded, you can run them in parallel and get more capacity and they can be divded to both sides

but what you did is acceptable and the usual you could always take the odyssey and use it as a redundant second and run it in parallel in the stock location and mount it sideways.

allot of rally and road race vehicles use redundant systems two batteries two fuel pumps two is better than one in respect that you won't be stranded in adverse conditions.

First I have heard of this. +1!!!

You could go with a pc925. I have that one in my car. I looked at the 680 but the cca's were not a lot. Currently I have had the battery for a couple years and the car has not been on the road. So far it is holding up just fine. I do charge it up once in a while.

Why are you paying $20 bucks to charge a battery? All the major auto parts stores charge batteries for free. Or get a trickle charger.. they are very reasonably priced to save your new battery.

Looking good however...

• 5 months later...
what was the reason you were running a odyssey battery pc680 ? i'm converting to MPI soon and notested that the big tail battery i have doesn't allow room for the intercooler pipe. i have a smaller (dead) one that says 65 on top that would allow the pipe and fit. whats the best small size one out there ? C300

LOL you welded it and spray painted it and now you are bringing it to your friend to have him weld it better. That's not cool.

yea only because i was using a non gas welder. so the welds are not that clean plus i was gonna have him weld up the end peices to make the structure more complete and stronger. as far as the gas tank goes as long as im not burning through the trunk floor and through the tank then all is well for me. so far everything is holding up just great even when i take hard turns so im happy with it.

Edited by thagremlin

• 1 year later...
I know this post is getting old now, but I was wondering on the wiring, and it's routing. I want to do this, and make it look clean just wondering on some of the more specifics of the battery relocation. What gauge wire, the length, and how you hooked in the fusible link box to the battery as mine appears to be hardwired with a bunch of factory BS. I can figure out the routing, but I really dont want to mess with the all ready finicky mitsu wiring. This question seems very newbish but, sincere lol

hahaha, I recommend passenger rear corner. Which will be around 20ft of cable to go back up front. With the electrical draw of these cars, I would run NO LESS a 1awg cable.

Now that its back there is a good time to put in a relay and feed the fuel pump direct of the battery with no less than 10awg.

As far as tying back into stock, you can run a dist bus block like so

http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_19859_-1__?N=635908473&affcode=42&kwid=ps_cse&cid=PLA_0011906526&gclid=CObt2fnr6rsCFUMV7AodWwsAnw&deviceType=true

Use one end post to connect the battery cable, the other end post to the starter and go crazy with the center connectors.

I put mine in the back passenger spot. Do need to make a proper box for it though. Think I used about 15 16 foot of 0-1 gage (had it laying around) My interior is stripped so didn't really matter on my routing but went over back of metal hump for factory back seats, down to floor and next to drivers seat, and up and out the fierwall hole in the fender and tied into starter, alternator, and fuse link box in stockish location.

hahaha, I recommend passenger rear corner. Which will be around 20ft of cable to go back up front. With the electrical draw of these cars, I would run NO LESS a 1awg cable.

Now that its back there is a good time to put in a relay and feed the fuel pump direct of the battery with no less than 10awg.

As far as tying back into stock, you can run a dist bus block like so

http://m.academy.com...deviceType=true

Use one end post to connect the battery cable, the other end post to the starter and go crazy with the center connectors.

Thanks, Good idea with the fuel pump.