What manual tranny fluid to use?

Hey guys,

Need to change the tranny fluid and wanted to know what you guys are using. I looked in the manual so I have the original numbers for the dodge part but it's 25 years later. Any product you like for a stock 5 speed manual 88/89 that I can pick up at the local store?

Also wanted to know about the washer for the drain plug. Is it the "use once" type and if so where is the best place to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Lance

• Like 1

I'm using Royal Purple Gear Fluid 75w/90, it has friction addictive and the same can be used in the LSD.

The washers are not crush type, so you can reuse them, but not too many times.

*actually I don't know if they are crush washers or not, flat copper ones. I have reused them when I forgot to buy new ones with no problem but after a while they will flatten out and you wouldn't be able to tighten it down enough. You can get em at any car store, if you cant and want to reuse, clean em up with some steel wool.

Edited by Killtodie

FSM shows 1.4 qts for the LSD and 2.5 for the tranny so 4 should do it. Stuff is not cheap. $80 for an oil change! :-) But it should last for quite a while.

Go to a Mitsubishi dealer and get a gallon of Diaqueen lsd gear oil and a gallon of plain gear oil. THERE IS NO BETTER JUST ASK THE EVO GUYS. Its what was in there when it was new. Why in the world put friction modifiers in a gearbox? Pull the pan off don't just drain it the pan has SLUDGE in it. You can not buy this at a Dodge dealer.

Go to a Mitsubishi dealer and get a gallon of Diaqueen lsd gear oil and a gallon of plain gear oil. THERE IS NO BETTER JUST ASK THE EVO GUYS. Its what was in there when it was new. Why in the world put friction modifiers in a gearbox? Pull the pan off don't just drain it the pan has SLUDGE in it. You can not buy this at a Dodge dealer.

Agreed. If you got money to throw away, go for it. These parts lasted this long without the fancy stuff.

The manual will tell you a specification of the recommended oil, API GL4/GL5 for the trans in 80/90w, look on the bottle of any brand for this. The LSD rear end specifies part # 8149630ex(superseeded to 3775610), which you have to get at the dealer ($40). It doesn't spec an API or SAE for LSD's.

-Robert

Agreed. If you got money to throw away, go for it. These parts lasted this long without the fancy stuff.

The manual will tell you a specification of the recommended oil, API GL4/GL5 for the trans in 80/90w, look on the bottle of any brand for this. The LSD rear end specifies part # 8149630ex(superseeded to 3775610), which you have to get at the dealer ($40). It doesn't spec an API or SAE for LSD's.

-Robert

You SHOULD NOT use any fluid listed as GL5 in the manual transmission. GL4 ONLY!

FSM shows 1.4 qts for the LSD and 2.5 for the tranny so 4 should do it. Stuff is not cheap. $80 for an oil change! :-) But it should last for quite a while.

Sta-Lube GL-5 80/90wt Gear oil. Been using it for 22 years without a Manual Transmission failure ;)

Bill

-Robert

I agree with you Robert about the Manual Trans Gear oil. But, I have used Sta-Lube GL-5 80/90wt Gear Oil in my Limited Slip Differential for 22 years now (no additive).I purchased the car with appox. 36,000 miles on it, I now have 152,860. One would think after 116,860 miles of using straight 80/90wt Gear oil (Compatible with limited- slip Differentials) "It states that on the bottle" ;) , that I would have had a failure by now ;) Yes, the LSD clutches still kick in when I slide it around a corner.Maybe I'm just lucky :( But, I would suggest to newer members to use the additive and to follow the FSM instructions. "Do as I say, not as I do" :lol: Royal Purple, Red-Line.....Don't waste your money ;) It can be better spent for something else on your Starquest that you really need ;) Like Fuel Filters, Exhaust upgrades,Injector Clips,Replacement Hoses, a Analog/Digital Voltmeter, Sensors or other things that you need :)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Why? GL-5 Works for me in my Manual Trans.

Bill

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/pennzoil_gearoilsummary.pdf

2nd page, 1st and 2nd bullet points.

http://www.valvoline.co.nz/prod0111.htm

Go down to the Duragear fluid, specifies GL4

Granted, for alot of people, the GL5 will work in their manual trans for a long time and cause no problems. Personally, I'd never use anything but the correct GL4 in mine (unless it's an emergency obviously)

Edited by slowquest

Indy,

The Diaqueen is for the gear box and the plain gear oil for the rear end or visa versa? I am assuming I should also grab a new pan gasket to replace the old one when the tranny pan is dropped correct?

Thanks,

L

You SHOULD NOT use any fluid listed as GL5 in the manual transmission. GL4 ONLY!

Is this because of the "GL5 additives will eat yellow metals myth"??

http://home.comcast.net/~Komeuppance/GearLubeSpecs.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~Komeuppance/RecLubeSpecs.jpg

-Robert

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/pennzoil_gearoilsummary.pdf

2nd page, 1st and 2nd bullet points.

http://www.valvoline.co.nz/prod0111.htm

Go down to the Duragear fluid, specifies GL4

Granted, for alot of people, the GL5 will work in their manual trans for a long time and cause no problems. Personally, I'd never use anything but the correct GL4 in mine (unless it's an emergency obviously)

Thanks Robert. I posted this prior to reading your post above.

1987 Starion Factory Service Manual Volume no.1 Section 0-6 Recommended Lubricants:

Manual Transmission: API classification GL-4 or "HIGHER" ;)

Rear Axle (Limited Slip Differential): Mitsubishi Genuine Gear Oil Part no.8149630EX or "EQUIVALENT" ;)

Any Gear oil that is recommended for use in a Limited Slip Differential will do.Equivalent means you don't have to use just Mitsubishis choice.I don't.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Robert. I posted this prior to reading your post above.

1987 Starion Factory Service Manual Volume no.1 Section 0-6 Recommended Lubricants:

Manual Transmission: API classification GL-4 or "HIGHER" ;)

Rear Axle (Limited Slip Differential): Mitsubishi Genuine Gear Oil Part no.8149630EX or "EQUIVALENT" ;)

Any Gear oil that is recommended for use in a Limited Slip Differential will do.Equivalent means you don't have to use just Mitsubishis choice.I don't.

Bill

GL5 is specifically mentioned as a NO-NO in this TSB from Mitsu in 93, well after the service manual was published. If GL5 was ok to use, why did they spec 2 DIFFERENT fluids for the trans and rear end? Wouldn't they have saved a bunch of money and time by using the same drum to fill them both?

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/slowquest/gearoil0001.jpg

1993 is when that TSB was issued. It was found that yellow metals were damaged by high sulfur content, but at 250F and above. Modern GL5's use inactive or buffered sulfur and will not damage synchros. Many manufacturers are issuing TSB's that spec GL5(vs previous GL4 spec) because GL4 is becoming less and less available (and probably due to the high volume of inquiries on the matter haha).

Each classification uses different amounts of EP additive (Extreme Pressure additive), a GL4 will use about half the amount of EP additive that a GL5. EP additives contain the elements(sulfur) found to be corrosive to yellow metals.

GL4 and GL5 have different friction modifiers depending on their designed use. A GL4 will be designed for optimum syncromesh engagement.

With that said, a modern GL5 will not destroy your transmission, but it may not be optimal for shifting smoothness.

-Robert

I have been using GL-5 80/90wt gear oil in my Starion Manual Transmission for 22 years without a failure. Yes, I change it every 30,000 miles. And since purchasing the car in 1989, I have put 116,000 miles on it.. So, that is almost 4 Manual Transmission Gear oil changes over the past 22 years. I never saw any shavings or metal pieces come out of the drain plug.Longevity on a Manual Transmission using a certain type of Gear oil is what I look at. If it has worked this long on my Starion....Why change things now? But, you all can do as you please. I know what has worked on my Starion and I will not be changing anything ;) We, as long term Starquest owners can only advise you from our experience and research when you ask for our advice. What you do with it from there on out is entirely up to you.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Just to clarify, I'm not saying to never use GL5. I'm simply stating that I will only use GL4, I have never had an issue using GL4, and the latest TSB I can find says to only use GL4, never GL5.

In my experience, having bought many of these cars, changing whatever fluid is in the transmission to DiaQueen trans fluid has helped every single one. The only car I currently have that is not DiaQueen is the ShelbyQuest I bought off of Bryan (CyberQuest) and when he installed one of my spares while he still owned the car, I specifically told him that he could use the trans, but ONLY if he used a GL4 fluid. He had used auto trans fluid in every other StarQuest trans he had because of the softer shifting. He went through more than one trans on this particular car, and was running low 14, high 13 second 1/4 mile times with it. With my trans and the GL4 fluid, I've run mid-high 12's (along with some other mods, but still nothing changed with the trans other than the clutch) and once ran a mid 11 (on ALOT of nitrous) The trans still shifts as smooth as the day it was installed, and has NO noise whatsoever.

Again, I'm NOT saying that GL5 is a grave sin, just that in my experience, it's well worth the effort and expense of finding/buying the correct GL4 fluid that Mitsubishi says should be in this particular trans.

Cal, what brand fluid have you been using? I trust your experience/advice almost 100%, and would love to do some research on what you've been using.

Edited by slowquest