Gun lube

Edde

on heavy wear areas I use a moly engine assembly lube, it stays in place better than anything else I've used. Then just a regular gun oil for other surfaces and the bore.

for example I have two M1A rifles (one match gun and one rack grade with the Sage EBR stock). on these guns the main wear areas are the bolt lugs, the bolt roller, the hammer and bolt interaction, the connecting rod slots in the receiver, and the bolt roller recess in the connecting rod.

Those areas all get a heavy grease coating. other than that I just wipe down the rest with gun oil. never have had a single malfunction with either gun.

Some interesting responses... but not as many as I expected. Moly lube is a new one on me.

I should mention that this pertains in part to guns used in adverse conditions, freezing cold, rain, snow etc as well as on a nice day you might choose to go blasting.

Some use WD40 for instance, but many say this tends to gum things up in freezing weather. The same thing with good old gun oil.

Hoppes for solvent rocks. My Dad's been using Break Free for a number of years.

Some interesting responses... but not as many as I expected. Moly lube is a new one on me.

I should mention that this pertains in part to guns used in adverse conditions, freezing cold, rain, snow etc as well as on a nice day you might choose to go blasting.

Some use WD40 for instance, but many say this tends to gum things up in freezing weather. The same thing with good old gun oil.

the dri-slid works in cold weather it's more of a grease and not a oil i prefer it for hadguns since you dont get as much splatter.

I've been using WD40 for years, and since I clean after every shooting, it never seems to gum up. That's really the key. Anything will gum up if you don't keep it clean.

Tim

P.S. Just in from the gun club....shot 300 rounds tonight. Even though I have a trigger blister, I am sitting down now to clean guns.

To clean our service guns we use GM top engine cleaner, no really we do. Have it in parts washers and it works great.

For oil we use mil something or other, it's in a white bottle and all I know is that it is a synthetic. I'll have to look at the bottle this weekend when I go back to work.

The rangemaster takes such things very seriously and I must say I've never had a problem with any of my guns and I can shoot 2-3k rounds in a week without cleaning it some weeks.

You should really look into the history of the stuff in the link I posted. It was developed in WW2 (I think) for just the reasons you mentioned above. Plus it is useful for sooooo much more. I will swear by this stuff. I have personally seen it soak into and free up, a locked up generator engine (its still running 3 yrs later) and I use it on any rusted bolts on my SQ. My turbo and mani bolts that were OEM on my car from Penn with 125k on it broke free and came right off after soaking in the stuff for about 30 mins. I wouldnt have believed half the stuff Ive heard about it, if I hadnt seen work amazingly myself.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

You should really look into the history of the stuff in the link I posted. It was developed in WW2 (I think) for just the reasons you mentioned above. Plus it is useful for sooooo much more. I will swear by this stuff. I have personally seen it soak into and free up, a locked up generator engine (its still running 3 yrs later) and I use it on any rusted bolts on my SQ. My turbo and mani bolts that were OEM on my car from Penn with 125k on it broke free and came right off after soaking in the stuff for about 30 mins. I wouldnt have believed half the stuff Ive heard about it, if I hadnt seen work amazingly myself.

BC_99

Thanks, I certainly will do.

Rem Oil with Teflon lubricant.

Bill

Well you should know about cold weather if anyone does. Last weekend I was in a blind on the river (salt water) with the tide up covering my boots so my gun had to be kept on the bench seat, and it was snowing the whole time. I was out there from before sunrise until close too noon. That's when it's nice to have a beater :)