Metric-man

Please Vote for one  

36 members have voted

1. 1. For interest and education only

• interested
    • not interested
    • interested but no money right now
    • interested but skeptical

Please only add your comments if you are interested in any degree, below after voting.

Please refrain from commenting if you are not interested.

Thank you for voting

This will probably give anyone the idea of what is involved cost wise for procuring,

and fabricating a body kit for a group of starion conquest owners.

I chose to use the Group B Starion Rally AWD** of an example because of the versatility of the design

in it's ability to be used on either model and the recognition of the design itself internationally.

The kits could also be modified to the individual taste of it owner.

It lends something to the purist, and the pimp, the drifter, or the rally fanatic.

Please Vote*

Interested

Not interested, or

Interested but don't have the money

Interested but skeptical

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8051/starion.jpg

How difficult would it be to make two fiberglass fenders and a front bumper ?

It would probably need a shortened bumper support.

Round headlights and small rectangular two tone turn signals / parking lamps.

A welded aluminum angel box grill.

It would work on a widebody OR flatbody ,

another option could be a rear quarter fender bubble molding for flatbodys.

The hood is another question, if you could cut your old hood down with a template,

and you or some one else, finish and repaint it for 200.00,

or else it would tack on an additional 600.00 to 700.00

to the cost below.

Ball park figures, on pricing,

could be more expensive,

could be less:

370.00 front bumper

350.00 two fenders

240.00 light conversion

100.00 grill

960.00 sub total

300.00 shipping (48 states)

1460.00 plus applicable tax

(Total cost could range anywhere below above or in-between)

1400.00 to 2500.00

Most at best would want to see a completed vehicle first, before making any commitment,

and there should be so sort of ability to negotiate sales of individual pieces.

There should be some sort of ability to pay on a COD basis through a qualified shipping company

(UPS or FedEx)

There also should be a discount for shiipping when purchasing the whole package

- the hood, hoods are expensive to ship (way oversize)

Any one fabricating the kit would probably still need to sell in the market 200 pieces of each,

but that would only be possible, (I believe) on an international scale.

*I am not intending to market this kit myself, I am only giving an example of what could be done

This for a example of a replica body kit only not any mechanical parts or conversions to AWD**

Edited by Metric-man

I'm interested, no money now though

But to actually get the front clip the 6" shorter that the GroupB cars were, I could see there being the need to remove some of the frame. Mainly the sections to either side of both headlight assemblies, that the header panel mounts to as well.

And the hood , I don't think it will be as simple as trimming it back, especially if you want to keep the stock latch working (which might not be an option), plus it would leave the raised section all the way forward.

If you can make this happen, it might be a viable option to change up the flatty (if it's still alive, lol) in a few years

The reason I voted skeptical has been addressed in other threads, but I'd still like to see it happen.

Best of luck to you

Derek

I'm interested, no money now though

But to actually get the front clip the 6" shorter that the GroupB cars were, I could see there being the need to remove some of the frame. Mainly the sections to either side of both headlight assemblies, that the header panel mounts to as well.

And the hood , I don't think it will be as simple as trimming it back, especially if you want to keep the stock latch working (which might not be an option), plus it would leave the raised section all the way forward.

If you can make this happen, it might be a viable option to change up the flatty (if it's still alive, lol) in a few years

The reason I voted skeptical has been addressed in other threads, but I'd still like to see it happen.

Best of luck to you

Derek

Yes, anything in-front of the radiator mount, would be modified, but only 6 inches not 12".

The hood would probably be latch pins only, and the raised section up front would allow the clearance needed for the

headlights to mount, and probably efficient air flow the black angle box grill in the picture looks to be about 6" to 8" tall

i just want those side lights.

The round side lights are available in Japan, maybe even eBay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Amber-3-4-Flush-Mount-Side-Marker-LED-Trailer-Lights-/350427502746?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51971b589a

I've researched on how to make one myself, and that's probably what I'd do. But I would be interested in the bumper if it were available.

-Robert

The Japanese owner of the pictured vehicle probably has details,

have you found his post and translated them or contacted him ?

I would definately be interested in a complete setup for the flatty especially if it were an accurate reproduction. Turn signals should be from another car, Mitsu liked to use off the shelf stuff.

i just want those side lights.

Still available new. Contact Redzone. He can get you a set.

Kane

yeah i even found some here the other day, brand new in pack..

i've so badly wanted a group B kit for ages..

they were sold at Mitsu dealers as an add on for the narrowbody car, dealer fitted.. man i'd love to get an original kit and copy it!

the bonnet (hood -lol) looks like you could use one from a mitsubishi sapporro/scorpion/galant lambda/early 80's dodge challenger

the bonnet (hood -lol) looks like you could use one from a mitsubishi sapporro/scorpion/galant lambda/early 80's dodge challenger

That's what I was thinking. I don't like the way they did the fenders (guards - LOL) integrated with the front bumper.

-Robert

The Japanese owner of the pictured vehicle probably has details,

have you found his post and translated them or contacted him ?

that picture is at least 10 years old... it may pretty hard to track down the owner from that picture at this point

that picture is at least 10 years old... it may pretty hard to track down the owner from that picture at this point

That could be true,

but how long have you owned your Starion ?

• 1 year later...

Ok first..... fitting body panels "semi right" is hard and anyone with the skills will more then likely make there own. making a universal fit body pannel I would call impossible all will need to be messed with especialy made in fiber. Now be it allot of our cars have had hard lives they don't line up now with stock one's so even more work.

Next and this might only be for me.... I would spend the money on body pannels to drop weight with, or make it look more custom.

For the nestalgic / collector I would think they are looking for a real group b car not a replica.