Cals tips for driving on icy roads.

Caliber308

of all the cars ive owned, the quest is the WORST vehicle for inclement weather especially if your on summer tires. if there is any accumulation of snow its best to just leave the car at home.

HA!, yeah, I had to drive my quest a few times in the snow on summer tires. Plowed/salted streets are not bad, but my ally. I pretty much have to pop the car in gear, get out and push my rear end sideways to get it to spin around and into the garage. I set up wooden planks just so it doesnt lurge forward into the garage, but I had it under control the whole time.

So yeah, no fun. I wish I wanst broke so I could afford winter tires for my civic.

I got my people back to Winston Salem early this morning without too much incident.

Always thought the best vehicle to have in snow and ice is a 45 foot MCI bus!

With the 300M down for repairs I had no option but to use the 86 for work.

Agree totally that Starquests on summer tires are THE worst cars to drive in this crap.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

of all the cars ive owned, the quest is the WORST vehicle for inclement weather especially if your on summer tires. if there is any accumulation of snow its best to just leave the car at home.

True true!

Hell, my car won't even stay straight in the rain, so it stays home if there's any precipitation.

If you love your Starquest, like I do.......DON'T DRIVE IT IN THE SNOW!!!! Not only are they not the best choice in snow or icy conditions, you will also ruin them real fast by subjecting them to salt and moisture.Instead of buying all those go fast mods, invest in something that you won't ruin by driving it in the winter conditions.For some of you that continue to drive your Starquest during the winter.....We look forward to answering your posts for help come spring and summer ;)

I don't give bad advice, just sound advice,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

on my side of the county tonight on the way to work it was just "wet" by the time i got 8 miles to work it was pure ice. With the cts-v in third gear and no gas it was engaging the traction control and stability control due to tire spin... now i know why they put 14.8 inch rotors and 4 piston brembos on the back or at least im glad the cars computers know how to use them properly..lol

From '94 to '07 a Conquest was all I owned. I lived in PA until 2000, so for 6 years I drove a quest in PA winters with zero trouble. Except for the rust of course. I even took it to the mountains to go sledding in a few snow storms. It always did great. It wasn't my 4Runner by any means, but I also never once got stuck or lost control. Properly sized winter tires on the front and back and with limited slip these cars do fine in wintry conditions. Having a confidence inspiring vehicle is actually more dangerous IMHO, because NOTHING does well on ice. If you're being cautious at every turn because you know your car isn't built for it, I think you'll end up doing better over the long run. Although the full time 4WD and traction control in the 4Runner sure was nice to have when we got 5 inches of snow here in Ridgecrest a few weeks ago.

Im still cruising mine around here daily. The ole SQ does better in the snow and ice than all the beaner 4x4's with their bareley there rubber. Course this is the 20th year driving SQ's in the snow.

Renato, I drove mine up I-70 to go boarding one year it was so bad I was sideways from geargetown to the tunnel. That was some fun sheet.

Next time let me know, I'll follow you from Georgetown and video you all the way to the other side of the Eisenhower Tunnel :)

a wide flat tire surface works against you in snow and some times in rain , a narrow tire with huge deep ribs of tread will force more weight per square inch to bare down on the snow causeing it to pac tighter and give more useable traction , at the same time it gives water a way to get out from under the tire, again giveing you more traction

also posi-trac is not the best bet for snow and ice esp with a tourqey engine

a wide flat tire surface works against you in snow and some times in rain , a narrow tire with huge deep ribs of tread will force more weight per square inch to bare down on the snow causeing it to pac tighter and give more useable traction , at the same time it gives water a way to get out from under the tire, again giveing you more traction

also posi-trac is not the best bet for snow and ice esp with a tourqey engine

;) All we need to do is read through the B.S. There are those who do it for six months. Then there are those who might do it for one or two days ;) I really get sick and tired of some members thinking that they can go out on a icy road and go 50 mph. Most of you that think that are sitting in a nice warm house, typing words on your computer and spitting out a line of B.S.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

tip# 14

Use your ebrake to turn

Or just punch the gas hehehe:P

So, today to make it out of my neighborhood, the hill was still iced over. People's front lawns? Nice and snowy.

Snow = traction. Pretty sure some people are going to be surprised when they look at their front yard today.

Roads = iced. 2nd gear driving the entire time, would turn in, give it some gas, kick it out, take the intersection ( while on the phone ), straighten the car back out and continue on my way. People's faces at those intersections were priceless. Wreckless? Yes. But eh, I was having fun on the clear and open roads. ^_^

Blame Dave. He told me to.

;) All we need to do is read through the B.S. There are those who do it for six months. Then there are those who might do it for one or two days ;) I really get sick and tired of some members thinking that they can go out on a icy road and go 50 mph. Most of you that think that are sitting in a nice warm house, typing words on your computer and spitting out a line of B.S.

Bill

But they CAN go 50MPH on an icy road. Doesn't mean they SHOULD, but they CAN... haha.

I go 25 to 30 max in any slippery condition, sideways.

-Robert

So, I see some of you in the Southern states have Ice, Freezing Rain and Snow on your roads. Here are a few tips to hopefully get you to where your going:

1. SLOW DOWN!!!!Speed is the major factor in accidents on Icy roads.

2. Drive in a lower gear.On a five-speed, drive in third gear. On a Auto, drive in third if you have Overdrive, if not drive in Second.The lower gear will help you as far as Engine braking.

3. Don't use you brakes to slow down. Only apply them after your car slows down to appox. 25 miles per hour. And then only sparingly.

I hope this information helps,

Bill

4. Don't drive your 'Quest. They generally have enough traction problems on dry pavement. ;D

In most of the icy condition crashes I've seen it just doesn't matter how careful of a driver you are. The accident will come to you. Say someone spins out in front of you. You are driving safely so you have no trouble avoiding the accident and stopping your car. Then some moron who isn't paying attention rear ends you. Or say you start sliding but manage to control it and manage to end up safely on the side of the road. Then the next person who tries to drive down that impassable road spins and crashes into you.