D2 Front Coilover Prep COMPLETE tutorial

Fuze

they are made in the same factory. It is possible to be a different company, however the designs are the same. Its also possible for them to change the valving and spring rates, which would be good, however to me they are the same product. If Tein had a product out for us that would be amazing. I see nothing on google though. If they do make them I can't find anyone who sells them which is the most important part.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only thing I was implying is that in this case both Ikea and D2 have a pretty liberal use of the word "some" in "some assembly required". Wasn't commenting at all on quality since I don't own this product.

I would rather we had more than one option though, such as hot bits or kdw etc.

Roger. With the 80's cars, even the ones more popular for JDM motorsports like the Corollas and older Z's, the same setup applies. Those guys cut their strut tubes and weld too, we were very late to the game.

KSport makes a setup for the Starion, and just because they come from the same factory doesn't mean it's not a different company than D2, but likely similar quality. In manufacturing, often a plant will make parts for different companies based on the customer's specs. That's just how manufactuing works, most companies don't own the tooling and equipment to manufacture everything themselves, so they have business partners.

• 3 weeks later...

is there any info out there that explains the difference in the ksports and d2's? if the are valved differently or had different spring rates that would be good info to know.

Well, both companies make many different models of coilovers, and for many cars. Street to full race. I doubt there has been a comparson written for the Starion versions, since it would require somebody to have access to both D2 and Ksport products. Other than that, you an dig on the websites and find a ton of specific info, but you'd have to do the homework. My setup came with shock dyno sheets and all that, but to put that to the side these are "street" coilovers that are 32 way adjustable, from almost like stock to solid as a rock and everything in between.

I've seen the Ksport stuff on Forumla Drift cars, and I was BSing with a Ksport driver at Wall Speedway about the Ksport hydro ebrake and suspension in his Mustang pro drift car. He also had a set of huge Ksport calipers on the front and two sets on the back, one set for the ebrake. The parts looked like quality, for what that's worth, fit and finish. Just saying they sponsor several pro and am drift teams and that goes a long way with me. D2 is so deep into motorsports they co-sponsored a Euro touring car series and had a Mercedes race team, among many other sponsored teams.

Yes great write up. On a side more, don't leave more than 3 inches when you make the cut. I left 2.5" and I can still slam the car, but any more might not let you go low low.

I think I left about 3", you can tell from the shot. When I put it all back together, I had to raise the front a little bit, the wheels were inside the wells. Then again, you are a madman sir so you may be going lower. Really as long as there's enough for it to fit solidly I'm sure that's fine. I've seen some people almost completely cut the tube away (other cars, same setup) and that freaked me out.

You thinking of dropping in a set before the shootout?

The how-to is very good information...thanks for taking the time to bring it to us!

Nick

My pleasure dude.

Edited by Fuze

I think I left about 3", you can tell from the shot. When I put it all back together, I had to raise the front a little bit, the wheels were inside the wells. Then again, you are a madman sir so you may be going lower. Really as long as there's enough for it to fit solidly I'm sure that's fine. I've seen some people almost completely cut the tube away (other cars, same setup) and that freaked me out.

You thinking of dropping in a set before the shootout?

My pleasure dude.

i left 1" when i did mine, and almost maxed it when i lowered, however the greater issue was the front tires hitting the front framing lol

• 1 month later...

just like 25gconquest said, how do you know which one is "left" and which is the "right''. or does it not matter

I'd do a quick test fit just bolting up the upper mount to make sure the strut is in the correct position. Not sure if there's a difference, either that or I just got it right without thinking. LOL

I'm pretty sure the front camber plates have an "L" and "R" etched or stamped in them. The rears shouldn't make a difference as the tops are fixed position.

I should be installing mine this weekend. We left about 2-1/4" of tube, and had to press the D2 sleeve on, leaving about 3/16" of tube showing at the bottom. Tig welded half the circumference and called it good.

Big thanks to Fuze for this write-up, made it so much easier to know what to expect!!! Fuze u must have got it Right, i went by the stickers on the fronts and apparently, where ever they are made, US Left front is not their left \front, my camber plates were on the wrong side :) but i didnt slam it, and got it aligned perfectly like that.... thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Big thanks to Fuze for this write-up, made it so much easier to know what to expect!!!

Yeah I get a little stressed before I do anything big on the car, I try to run through it in my head a million times if I haven't done it before. This was tricky enough to make a tutorial for, I'm glad it lowered the stress level of some of you guys.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Also, when you guys did your rears, did you have to switch your lefts with rights, and rights with lefts? My right is installed on the left, and my left is installed on my right. It was the only way they would fit with the brake line brackets oriented in the correct position. Was wondering if anyone else had this situation.

My front camber plates didn't line up right when I put them on the correct side. The camber adjustment was in an odd direction. Switching them right to left was the only way I could get them to adjust in the correct orientation In the back the brake brackets didn't line up right when they were on the correct side.