Why do most of the latest super cars and concepts lack manual transmissions?

Killtodie

If you want to argue the definition of an automatic gearbox as one that has a torque converter or has the ability to shift at appropriate RPMs or can shift up or down or w/e, that doesnt quiet apply to what a top fuel dragster uses.

I remember this from the History channel, they were talking about how that dragster has a few clutches that engage at certain points and that there is some sort of transmission, I dont know if the clutches are that transmission or of there are actual gears that it goes through

Thank you Mr. internet.

No trans....automatic or otherwise. Just a multi-stage clutch system that is designed to slip a certain amount initially to maintain traction.

http://www.santapod.co.uk/dr_anat_topfuel.php

Toadie, you're SO WRONG

STOP SPREADING LIES AND INNUENDO

Turborusty

yup, that's what it is, i didnt remember it correctly.

lol, innuendo

dude, i'm gonna let you slide today because i'm in a good mood =P

no fair... i caught it first...

If you want to argue the definition of an automatic gearbox as one that has a torque converter or has the ability to shift at appropriate RPMs or can shift up or down or w/e, that doesnt quiet apply to what a top fuel dragster uses.

automatic transmission

–noun

an automotive transmission requiring either very little or no manual shifting of gears.

BAM!

^ ok then but now what is a non manual shifting trans. Would you count a push button trans as a manual? How about a 3 on the tree? What if I don't use my clutch in my car and just slam it into gear and grind away.

^ ok then but now what is a non manual shifting trans. Would you count a push button trans as a manual? How about a 3 on the tree? What if I don't use my clutch in my car and just slam it into gear and grind away.

If the car has a clutch pedal, I will consider it a manual, I dont care what method is used in shifting. Hell, sequential gear boxes can use flappy paddles to shift and the floor mounted shifter moves along side.

I want a car with a true manual........for me,it's not about how fast they can shift, how many thousandths of a second sooner they can reach 62MPH, or what kind of electronic trickery they can implement.

For me, it's a tactile sensation.......and an emotional one as well. I want it to stir my soul as I stir though the gears.

My wife's V8 Audi with all it's Hp and such is just fine, but I hate the transmission. The A6 she had previously with the little 2.7L ....with a 6spd manual was 10x more fun, entertaining, and interesting to drive.

Turborusty