Why do most of the latest super cars and concepts lack manual transmissions?

Killtodie

What's going on here? All these damn suppers cars with extra wide brake pedal, where is the shifter? And dont say that paddel shifting is the same thing, I want a clutch, I dont want my car to idle forward then my foot isnt on the brake

I can name a few, the new GTR, half of new ferraries, and now lambos come in autostick...

this makes me cry

Edited by Killtodie

Same reason the armed forces have stopped using manual transmissions in their equipment:

PEOPLE ARE LAZY.

Although, I will admit the automatic transmission has advanced leaps and bounds in just the last 20 years. They're being built to handle larger outputs, heavier loads, longer maintenance intervals, and still maintain street civility.

It does suck that there's no longer a direct connection between the engine and the driveline [one more thing to fail and keep you stranded], and there are exceptions to the generalization [most Ferraris have a solenoid-operated mechanical clutch instead of a torque-converter], but as stated above the advancements in automatic trans technology is too great to ignore. Seamless shifts faster than a human could reproduce? Sure. Perfect rev-matching on every downshift? You betcha. That stiff tire-chirping crispness when you're on it and the squishy comfortable feeling when you're not? Ding, winner.

Give me paddles or a stick to chase the gears with [and no intrusive software, I want to hold a gear to redline dangit!], and I'll take a slushbox.

Most supercars do offer a manual option vs the flappy paddle nonsense..try and parallel park one and you'll understand..

My boss has a TT V8 Panamera that's paddle shift. The hardest thing about driving a paddle shift car?

..... remembering to shift it <_<

do the padel shift cars still idle forward if you take your foot of the brake? and do any of them still actually shift automatically or pedal s*** only?

You have two options depending on the car. Take a Honda Fit Sport. You can drive it like a normal auto, or, you can drive it paddle shift, where to move the auto shifter left into the SPORT slot. That being said, under a certain speed ( I think 10 or 15mph ) it disengages like a normal auto trans does at a light.

what 'bout dem supa carz? like teh gtr and teh lambos

Same thing - its a sequential - well actually all supercars now tend to have a dual clutch transmission. Believe it or not, the first street car to have it was the VW Golf R32. Believe me, drive one of those cars with that and unless you're spectacular driving a manual, these things shift faster :wacko:

Edited by Fanta

I will make this short because I have to go to work, (at VOLKSWAGEN). The original R32 was 6spd. The R32 Fanta was refering to was the MkV version, which came DSG only.

As for the DSG came in only 3 models... Ummm... before you open your mouth, learn what you're talking about. For the 2010 model year, can be had in the the CC, Passat, Eos, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GTi (I should know, I will be driving my GTi with a DSG here in about 15 minutes), etc etc. Actually, I say can be had... the DSG is standard, not optional, but STANDARD in the CC, Passat.

I'll add to the DSG comments later as I have to explain this stuff all the time at work, but sheesh, spend five minutes and do some research yourself... if you did, you'd really we off way more models WITH the DSG than without.

^ X3 and it's better for performace. Why do you think the top drag cars are autos?

now im not saying it's as rewarding, but if the goal is performance it's better (atleast now with modern tec)

O and if your goal is for it to not roll at a light like a manual will sink some money into it and make it work that way.

Edited by jszucs

^ X3 and it's better for performace. Why do you think the top drag cars are autos?

now im not saying it's as rewarding, but if the goal is performance it's better (atleast now with modern tec)

O and if your goal is for it to not roll at a light like a manual will sink some money into it and make it work that way.

well, unless you have a drag car built... plus, a real dragster isnt auto, its just an automated manual that is designed to slam threw gears without a clutch at a preset time.

well, unless you have a drag car built... plus, a real dragster isnt auto, its just an automated manual that is designed to slam threw gears without a clutch at a preset time.

most drag cars are autos. There is no way in hell a person can shift as fast as an automatic tranny can...therefore, you want fast ETs...get an auto.

Also, if you want the car to not idle forward at a light...get some really high rear (2:26...2:54) gears or a higher stall converter...lol

Edited by strang3majik

Top Fuel dragsters have a manual gear box that shifts automatically based on a setting. There is no clutch, I wouldnt call it an automatic gear box.

I thought you were talking normal drag cars. I don't consider rails real cars.

Someone with REAL knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't top-fuel dragsters direct-drive with a clutch only? With no real transmission to speak of?

Turborusty

Thank you Mr. internet.

No trans....automatic or otherwise. Just a multi-stage clutch system that is designed to slip a certain amount initially to maintain traction.

http://www.santapod.co.uk/dr_anat_topfuel.php

Toadie, you're SO WRONG

STOP SPREADING LIES AND INNUENDO

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty