"Driving" by "Wire", theyre not kidding.

macrophage

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good gas milage where did that come from,, show me where in the last 40 yrs that the auto makers were the least bit concern'd about your saveing fuel ,,

they want your money for useless gemicks on the car and their twin bro wants you to buy more gasoline

yup everything is against you the govement behind it all.............. Drive by wire is cheaper to produce and lowers mpg geting the companys credits for cafe ratings that saves them money without active throttle body controll you get systems like the old toyota tac system two throttle plates lots of money.....

direct injection is the final frontier at this point for the mpg pretty soon we will be up to the mpg renault was getting in the 80 with no technology, but we will have heavier cars that people are willing to drive.

exactly. drive by wire is just cheaper and easy to produce. it's plug and play across many platforms and it lowers assembly line time.

you can have a single chassis with 3 different engine options and you wont need to worry about throttle cable routing per each engine.

A Chevy & Toyota dealer mechanic told me the other day that all data is already being recorded. Like the flight recorders. Pretty soon, insurance cases will have recorded data to examine and establish fault, etc... We are here already it seems.

exactly. drive by wire is just cheaper and easy to produce. it's plug and play across many platforms and it lowers assembly line time.

you can have a single chassis with 3 different engine options and you wont need to worry about throttle cable routing per each engine.

your telling me that all the sensors and R&D going into this drive by wire system, including wiring and the computer that operates it, is cheaper than a simple cable being ran with a codder pin from the pedal to a little spring loaded piece of metal.

good gas milage where did that come from,, show me where in the last 40 yrs that the auto makers were the least bit concern'd about your saveing fuel ,,

they want your money for useless gemicks on the car and their twin bro wants you to buy more gasoline

My wifes nissan altima hybrid gets 35 city, 38 highway, and has 200 HP too. Truns a 1/4 mile in about 15.6 sec, and 0-60 of about 7.6. Aren't many cars made 40 years ago that had specs like that, or even 20 years ago. These stand up to a bone stock quest's #'s, and it gets nearly twice the fuel economy, all out of a 2.4 liter N/A motor.

And yes, being hybrid means drive by wire, it does take some getting used to for an auto enthusiast that "feels" the driving experiance. She didn't notice the differences after a few weeks of driving it, I do every time I drive it. I still like it though.

your telling me that all the sensors and R&D going into this drive by wire system, including wiring and the computer that operates it, is cheaper than a simple cable being ran with a codder pin from the pedal to a little spring loaded piece of metal.

R&d has been done years ago. ecm is already there (very few use a standalone module). Wiring is cheaper on an newer car(smaller guage) wait till we go 36v. As far as the throtle body and sensors do you realize how cheap these sensors are. Now subtract the cost of the ISC and wiring and code need for an idle control system. then add that they can now add better traction controll( most can be turned off). they can have what the average person wants. Your not the average person or even a large part of the market. Most people will never know that traction controll stoppedthem from spinning the tires, or that there is lag. Most people dont know what model there car is, or care.

the R&D costs get made up for in car sales (because people buy reliable easy cars), lower assembly costs, and mileage tax credits. plus, since MPG is a huge selling point, the car companies with efficient vehicles stand to make even more money.

or, the bad guys are trying to control you!!!!

the R&D costs get made up for in car sales (because people buy reliable easy cars), lower assembly costs, and mileage tax credits. plus, since MPG is a huge selling point, the car companies with efficient vehicles stand to make even more money.

or, the bad guys are trying to control you!!!!

"The man" just paid me an extra $3850 cash for those tax credits for buying that hybrid, thanks "the man" ^_^

I feel so "controled" taking that too ;)$$. We are going to spend it building our new house later this year.

i'm coming in late here, but one point i didn't see mentioned is that in a drive by wire setup it's possible to program the ecu to cut the throttle when the car sees full brake application. many cars with drive by wire have this setup - the lexus did not, but i'll bet toyota is adding it immediately. this is the kind of safety measure that is only possible WITH drive by wire.

I can't wait for the electronic steering systems that are coming out now. Talk about less feedback.

My IS300 is drive-by-wire, I have no problem with it.

you're not serious, are you?

I'm scared enough of actual linkage failing...now both combined...yikes.

Yeah, i'm serious.

There were a couple commercials for 2010 models with it, I think it was the Accord and maybe a Chevy truck/suv.

I'm not sure if they still use the rack and pinion setup with electronic power steering instead of a belt driven/fluid movement type, or if its a totally new design.

I just had to shake my head when I saw the commercials though.

Yeah, i'm serious.

There were a couple commercials for 2010 models with it, I think it was the Accord and maybe a Chevy truck/suv.

I'm not sure if they still use the rack and pinion setup with electronic power steering instead of a belt driven/fluid movement type, or if its a totally new design.

I just had to shake my head when I saw the commercials though.

you would be surprised at the feed back. drive a cobalt ss electric ps has been around also for a long time. They phase these things in before the advertise.

shelby people that are stupid enough to buy a volvo ask for it they are great cars but electricly flawed. the control module for the drivers door is more expensive and a higher fail rate. 500 to repair a car nowadays is nothing.

solution dont buy a new car.

i'm coming in late here, but one point i didn't see mentioned is that in a drive by wire setup it's possible to program the ecu to cut the throttle when the car sees full brake application. many cars with drive by wire have this setup - the lexus did not, but i'll bet toyota is adding it immediately. this is the kind of safety measure that is only possible WITH drive by wire.

It's possible with no drive by wire cars. The ECU just cuts fuel and spark.

The electric motor in power steering systems do not replace a direct linkage to the wheels. The steering rack is still connected directly to the steering wheel. On the rack and pinion, there is an electric motor with another pinion wheel on it that SUPPLIMENTS the mechanical action that you are doing. The issue with the feel is just getting the amount of assist the electric motor is getting.

I work for VW... VW has been using e-throttle since about the late 90's, early 2000's. It's really easy for me to count the number of throttle pedals I've had to replace... ZERO. The worst problem we have is idle issues from the throttle body getting carboned up. Every now and then we'll come across one that'll need to be completely replaced, but usually an induction service cleans it right up. The throttle body will lose it's adaptation values if it's too carboned up. Not saying that there has never been a VW that needed a throttle pedal assembly replaced, it's just that it's a pretty uncommon, freak thing.

I've currently got a 2010 VW GTI. It's got e-throttle, e-steering, DSG trans (dual clutch automated manual transmission... shifts in 7milliseconds), launch control, stability control, etc... basically all the electronic gismos you can think of... and guess what... it's probably one of the most fun to drive cars I've ever owned. Very engaging, car lets you know exactly what it's doing. The stability control lets you get away with murder, launch control is fun if you wanna act like you're 16, and the mix of handling and comfort is amazing.

The hardest issue with all the electronics is getting the mix just right... but when the combo is setup right (like in the new MkVI GTI) the experience is great. Hydro power steering systems have had decades of advancement and get the feel down. It's the same deal with the e-steering.

big brother needs to take care of you ;)

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/svs.jsp

The newest enhancement to OnStar's®* stolen vehicle service, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, will debut on select 2009 model year GM vehicles. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown gives our subscribers added security by allowing OnStar Advisors1, who work with law enforcement, to send a signal to the stolen vehicle to gradually slow it down. The service is also expected to help reduce the risk of property damage, serious injuries or fatalities resulting from high-speed pursuits of stolen vehicles.

Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is another example of OnStar's commitment to deliver unparalleled security and enhanced public safety on the road.

How it works

- Once the vehicle has been reported stolen to law enforcement, the subscriber calls OnStar to request Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance.

- OnStar uses real-time GPS technology to pinpoint the exact location of the stolen vehicle and provides this information to law enforcement to help them recover the vehicle.

- When law enforcement has established a clear line of sight of the stolen vehicle, they may request OnStar to slow it down remotely.

- Safeguards will be in place to ensure that the correct vehicle is slowed down.

- OnStar then sends a remote signal to the vehicle that interacts with the Powertrain system to ignore throttle input causing the vehicle to gradually slow to an idle speed.

I truly feel bad for the people who have been hurt or killed when experience this problem. But on the other hand, I can't believe that no one thought to just shut the motor off or throw it into neutral and brake.

it's got a push button ignition switch that you have to hold for 3-4 seconds to kill the car. the car was a loaner, and in a panic situation holding down the button probably didn't occur to him.

the brakes i wonder about. car and driver just tested 3 cars and all were able to overcome full throttle with brakes. one was a camry that is mechanically very similar to the lexus dude was driving.