Bands and drums

Alan

i was under the impression all 3 bands had the same 2 turns out,,back in the day we use'd 17/8 turns out,, actualy as long as the band slips freely and alows for heat expantion even 1 3/4 may work ,the lesss the servo travels the quicker the lock up ,, same as with the clutch pacs

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all! AndyW, Mike, MisMO TSI and Shelby you guys were a big help. Finally got the head gasket on. Pulled the trans back out, was getting a seep from the converter housing. Thought I might of pinched the oil seal when I installed the trq converter. It was good, found 3 mistakes. Both high reverse clutch packs exceeded the clearance with snap ring installed. Guess I misread one of them and the other I guess I just didn't check during build up. When cleaning the OD band servo I failed to take it apart and replace the 2 sealing oil rings. When the odrive tried to engage the fuild would just blow on by and not move the plunger. Rookie mistakes!. Having bought used drums, they came with the drums built up so I had snap rings and retainer plates of different thickness and that allowed me to build up the packs correctly. It's all back in and is working fine! Right now I have it back on stands to get the rear tires replaced today and I need to do a trq check on the head for replacing the head gasket. I bought the vacuum modulator that is adjustable thinking the different size rods may be hard to come by, so I'll mess with that as I go. I'll try and clean up the order I posted this thread and do a narrative of lessons learned in case anyone is interested. Right now I couldn't be happier, working fine for less than $400. Thanks again guys for the encouragement and help!

Sure, come on down! Use dry ice to keep the beer coldhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif If I can do this I assure you that you can too!

• 3 years later...

Holy Thread revival Batman!

Coolness, this will help out tremendously! Still can't believe after all of the searching over the last few years, I've never stumbled on this. I'm awaiting my bands as we speak and when I have the time...I'm all over it!

Thanks so much for the info, good Sir! Now following this topic!

-N8

Edited by natallica

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, I was very surprised how easy and economical it was to freshen up / improve upon this tranny. Everything just runs down one axis, I got lucky and my OD drum was not chewed up too tho. I would advise against going to drastic on the shift kit mod tho... Balttsi had that rebuild down pat. If anyone is in need of a spare valve body to tinker with let me know, I have a spare sitting here.

Got mine together yesterday, only ran into 2 snafus.

• One I have a lone washer with tabs in the center that only will fit on the teeth of one of the shafts, have to find it's home,
  • and the other being everything seems to spin freely until I bolt the pump and bellhousing on...then the shaft tightens up so it no longer spins, so something is awry in the OD section I think.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/1989%20Fiji%20Blue%20Conquest%20TSi/DSC04052_zps9ba76cbd.jpg

-N8

Edited by natallica

The shaft is very hard to turn once every thing is bolted up. The FSM has a drawing that shows location of the washer bearings. I'll try to remember to look when I get home from work.

Edit: IN the 1988 manual look at page 21-83 and item #3 on page 21-91 for that bearing washer. Different page numbers in the 1989 manual. Good luck!

Edited by Alan