87 replies to this topic

#41 MrBishi2.6

MrBishi2.6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:2.6 Lancer

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Bill are these bellhousings ready for sale?  Can you handle shipping to Australia?

#42 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Busty big Gurls and small cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

yes, they are a good casting, I am happy with how they turned out.

I machine them out after they are ordered ( so i can focus on one bellhousing at a time)
   Right now that will take me 3 working days

I have shipped to Australia many times, it usually costs $130.00 USD ( cheaper than England bye the way   :wacko: )
Posted Image

#43 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Busty big Gurls and small cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I needed to finish out the rear trans mount before i tore down the build for another project, I wanted to include a driveshaft loop to build strength in the system while improving the safety of the build
Posted Image
  I placed a couple small slices in the floor board and tucked my safety loop inside of the front seat supports
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
   from the inside you can not tell the safety loops were added, they are sandwiched under the seat support
Posted Image
then I had to fab a couple of floor suports for the side of the trans tunnel to relocate the rear trans mount
Posted Image
  the rear Toyota Supra trans mount was used and had to be attached to the original Mits rear crossmember
Posted Image
  Then the rear crossmember was located to the side tunnel supports
Posted Image
Posted Image
  the shifter just cant line up any better
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 TSI_law

TSI_law

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Starquest
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

That looks GREAT!!!  Excellent work!
1987 Quest Silver 302  V-8 5spd - sold
1987 Quest Black- sold
1988 Starion

#45 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:More boost please...

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Here's the progress...  a complete write up on 26liter.us under 'quest for power' section if anyones interested:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apparently 400 HP / 530 TQ to the wheels was not enough...  6G72 Twin Turbo swap in progress
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#46 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I am going to add about 5/16th" of spacers to drop the trans mount down a bit and relieve the stress on it.  Other than that, everything is bolting up perfectly.  Bill did an amazing job with this bell housing.  It's about as 'plug and play' as it can get.

I just need to go get the drive shaft made and I am done.  Bill - fantastic work!!!  

Tom
Apparently 400 HP / 530 TQ to the wheels was not enough...  6G72 Twin Turbo swap in progress
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#47 mitsusqueeshee

mitsusqueeshee

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Great pics.  I am also hoping to get this kit from Bill soon.  Looks like a very snug fit, the transmission does not hang down too low like I was worried about.  Also from your pics, I can not tell how you bolted the tranny cross member to the frame.  Did you use the existing locations or did you have to use angle iron to relocate them like in Bill's pic?

88 Conquest TSI Magna MPI
89 Conquest TSI TBI

#48 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

View Postmitsusqueeshee, on 18 March 2010 - 11:17 AM, said:

Great pics.  I am also hoping to get this kit from Bill soon.  Looks like a very snug fit, the transmission does not hang down too low like I was worried about.  Also from your pics, I can not tell how you bolted the tranny cross member to the frame.  Did you use the existing locations or did you have to use angle iron to relocate them like in Bill's pic?

Relocated the cross member about 3 or 4" further back with some brackets fabricated with angle iron.
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#49 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

Fired up the car with the new r154 in it for the first time.  Everything seemed fine - was able to cycle through the gears without any issues, no grinding, etc.   So far so good.  Just need that driveshaft and she's ready for the maiden cruise... Driveshaft should be ready Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Put the interior back together - well at least any pieces that didn't decide to break and shatter.  Stupid 23 year old plastic...

This is with a Mookeh short throw shifter, so I'd say all in all it's maybe an inch closer to the dash at most.  The stocker supra shifter is longer and I bet would be exactly in the stock location.  The throw on the mookeh is ridiculously short, I love it.  

I just need to come up with a decent leather boot and a shift nob - this is supra one that came with a stock shifter, and it won't screw on, wrong threads, and its beat to crap anyways.  I reversed the rubber on that inner boot since the base of the shifter is further forward than a stock shifter.  Not perfect, but it'll do the trick.

Neutral:
Posted Image

First:
Posted Image

Second:

Posted Image

Third:

Posted Image

Fourth:

Posted Image

Fifth:

Posted Image

Reverse:

Posted Image
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#50 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Added about 5/16" of spacing on the top of the mount bushings and it makes the rear mount sit a whole bunch better.  It's perfectly level too...

Posted Image
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#51 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well here she is - driveshaft came out perfect, installed, and maiden voyage around the block was completed.  I can speedshift that thing like crazy now - I about burned the rears off hitting second a couple times - very nice!   The only things I noticed is that when in neutral and clutch is completely out, that I can hear some throwout bearing noise (at least I suspect thats what that is...) but it seemed to dissipate a lot after it was warmed up and driven around for a little while.  Also, when downshifting, getting into 1st from 2nd is really tough but I am sure that's the transmission - I bought this thing from a bone yard and have no idea of its history, so I may be doing a rebuild down the road.  But it's completely driveable...  no grinding at all, reverse lights work, speedo works perfectly - just absolutely loving it!   Just waiting on my leather shift boot to finish up, but other than that - its done.  :)

Went with a hurst t-handle with momentary switch for the nitrous.  I like it... works for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#52 mitsusqueeshee

mitsusqueeshee

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:23 AM

Here is the big question.  How does it feel gear ratio wise?  Comparing to the stocker.

89 Conquest TSI TBI

#53 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

View Postmitsusqueeshee, on 29 March 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

Here is the big question.  How does it feel gear ratio wise?  Comparing to the stocker.

It feels outstanding!  1st and 2nd seem to be a bit 'longer' which I really like because I always felt that they were too short on the stocker.  

I really need to get it to the track to completely feel everything out in a controlled environment, but from my first impressions...  everything just feels 'right' - better than before, it just feels more proper.

Edited by Turbo_Addict, 29 March 2010 - 10:21 AM.

Car Domain site
Posted Image

#54 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

First gear is DEFINITELY much better and a longer pull, every gear shifted soo smoothly and it just felt like it was right, not scared to shift at high RPMs... I loved the Supra tranny set up if it wasn't for all the clutch friction discs it kept braking I would have kept it in. (NOTE mine was a hack weld job it did not have these machined bolt ons)  If everything is good and nothing ever brakes with this set up I strongly recommend it to anyone wit a StarQuest, either the Supra tranny or the T56 six speed tranny I am leaning more towards myself very soon..  :rolleyes:   Are definitely better than the skinny stocker trannys..

Edited by VICE, 29 March 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Posted Image

89 TSI: My SQ is lighter than yours!

#55 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'll put her through the paces and do what I can to test any potential breakages of clutch disks - when I spray it, it's making over 530 ft/lb of torque, so any weak links should be quickly apparent.

Also, shift boot finally came in today - I like it...  it almost looks like it is supposed to be this way.

Posted Image
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#56 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

The boot looks real cool!
Posted Image

#57 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

View PostVICE, on 29 March 2010 - 11:37 PM, said:

The boot looks real cool!

Thanks, $8.99 ebay special.  lol
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#58 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

How did U get the bottom to stay so neatly?  Those universal shift boots are soft all around, with no wire base.. I want a black one..  =D
Posted Image

#59 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

View PostVICE, on 30 March 2010 - 01:07 PM, said:

How did U get the bottom to stay so neatly?  Those universal shift boots are soft all around, with no wire base.. I want a black one..  =D

I just used the screws (made tiny holes through the boot) in the bottom of the plastic that hold the two pieces together for the rear and sides of it, and on the front there are no screws there, but I just hot glued it into place up there.  Seems to work just fine.
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#60 mitsusqueeshee

mitsusqueeshee

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Glad to hear the gear ratios are compatible, and a longer first defiantly helps.  Bill voiced some concerns over that.

89 Conquest TSI TBI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users