Gullwing Door project pictures through out.

3.8 turbo swap

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 theRobot

theRobot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Having two turbo vehicles, my 1990 Max and my 89 quest.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

To give you a strut to look at.

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Had two really high power struts to lift the entire liftgate in the back.

This was not a liftgate you could lift easily if these struts were out either, and the two of them would open the door completely, by themselves.

Check em out, they might be exactly what you need.
Plans are, slightly modified conquest and bagged 4G64/4G63(head) turbo truck.

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, 4-inch lowered rear, 7-inch JVC head-unit with 1200w on four 10s, Custom back-halved bed converted to trunk.
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi SHP, got it with 135k, and it's running great, currently DD, blown rear struts, Walbro 255lph In-tank fuel pump, 1G BOV.

#82 quikconq

quikconq

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hmmmmm

Edited by quikconq, 13 February 2014 - 11:35 PM.

FEEDBACK PAGE,,,,please leave some feedback
http://www.starquest...howtopic=118929

Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,768 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

scott. take a look at the hood assist shocks for the c5 corvettes. i dont know of any lb'age, but they are only about 6" long extended and a stroke of about 2" they are what assist you in opening the hood/front end of the vettes. they are seriously stiff as they are in a terrible mechanical advantage on the vette. very close to the pivot point and holding a ton of weight.  i would take a stab and say they are 300lb struts.  no idea if they would even work for your application, just thought the short length and high pressure could get them out of your way possibly.

oh and i say gofor the twins. like you said, just for the pop. and we need some update.
some good mpi info that may help someone.
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#84 Blue

Blue

THAT Young'n

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:StarQuests. Guitars. Metallica.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

B)

Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough!

1993 Honda Civic EX Coupe - "Superdaily" CAI, Tanabe exhaust, Skunk2 coilovers, rear strut brace, Drag DR-19s
1984 Dodge Conquest Technica - Going on 1 year since the build started. Mod list is too long to type. :lol:

12:24 AM [Technology] yeah, eventually, and I wish I was reading this for the hair joke.  

Happiness is a click away My Photobucket

My Feedback Thread

#85 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:all things automotive!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the tips on door struts guys, i havent looked much yet but i will keep those in mind. I tried the ones off my magnum rear hatch and they were not quite strong enough. Grant the C5 corvette is a good idea for sure i think i will need close to 300#.
Still working on engine and trans fitting right now. If i pick up a welder next week i can get back to finishing the bottoms of the doors.

Quick i was never considering a AWD. I  do remember someone mentioning it but frankly i think it would be way to much trouble, hell it would add another 5 years to this already 4 year project lol.
Posted Image
89 Conquest,undergoing a complete rebuild, new suspension,color change and Gullwing doors!
89 Yellow conquest MPI 365WHP@20psi, everything new or rebuilt    SOLD!!
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#86 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Scott...It looks good man. let me know if you need some help.
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#87 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

I got a little done this weekend. Cleaned my shop back up from other projects, sisters car, yard sale ect.  I brought a friends welder home that I can use indefinetly. If everything goes well I should be able to finish the welding in a month or so of spare time. The motor has been fitted and mounts made. I still need a camaro clutch and flywheel to complete the drive e train.  Unfortunately the camaro 3.8 doesn't seem to offer many high proformance options.
Today I finished the install of the D2 coilvers and finished my suspension. I also welded in the passenger side sill. But still have a lot of welding to do to finish it.
Next step is welding the new bottom of the doors in then finish the door roof panels.
Some current pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by pagemo, 21 August 2011 - 04:53 PM.

Posted Image
89 Conquest,undergoing a complete rebuild, new suspension,color change and Gullwing doors!
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#88 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

This will be the coolest SQ ever when you get it finished...I cant wait to see that car painted and driving. Keep up the awesome work.

BC_99
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#89 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles, snowmobiling, four-wheeling, snowboarding, golf, billiards, bowling, forums, volleyball, Boston sports teams...Anything fun and mechanical.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

I gotta ask, with all the awesome handling stuff and how great the gullwing project is, why use the camaro engine?

'89 Starion SHP...FIP MPI, 3" Exhaust, TEP Cam, Turbonetics 11021-BB T3/T4 Turbo, Treadstone Manifold, 75# injectors, Mookeeh Sway Bars, GC Coilovers, Saleen Replica Wheels, the list goes on...AND IT FINALLY RUNS!!!

http://i512.photobuc...pg?t=1339849860

#90 thagremlin

thagremlin

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:DRIFTING, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

Good thing we all convinced you to keep it when you tried selling it a while back. Can't wAit to see it finalized. It's going to be BA

#91 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

View Postpolarisman14, on 22 August 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

I gotta ask, with all the awesome handling stuff and how great the gullwing project is, why use the camaro engine?
Its not really just a camaro engine...its a L67 used in the supercharged FWD cars like pontiac GTP and regal GS. Why because its cheap, reliable, smooth and pretty easy to make 400-500 whp on a stock bottom end. I have a forged bottom end i picked up for an unbelivable price :-) so i already have two motors.
Most of the guys building them are trying to make a lot of power with superchargers but the best way is to just turbo it. i have seen #'s up to 900hp.... If you blow one up go to the junk yard and get another for $500. I am going to use a T5 for now but eventually go to a TKO600.

The other thing was balance and handling, the V6 is about the same weight of the G54B but sits lower and further back toward the fire wall. should improve the CG significantly.
and lastly because i have built G54B's and liked them but want something to make reliable power with out feeling like im stringing it out.

Edited by pagemo, 23 August 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#92 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

View Postthagremlin, on 22 August 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

Good thing we all convinced you to keep it when you tried selling it a while back. Can't wAit to see it finalized. It's going to be BA

Yep! Thanks :D
Posted Image
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#93 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

View PostBC_99, on 22 August 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

This will be the coolest SQ ever when you get it finished...I cant wait to see that car painted and driving. Keep up the awesome work.

BC_99
Thanks for the compliments.
Help me out if it was yours what color would you paint it? Its a white car so that would be easiest, i like the idea of the Charcoal gray you see on the new fords but i sure do like viper blue too...
I should take a poll lol
Posted Image
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#94 taeisallin

taeisallin

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:rare cars...fast cars...old cars...
    get it? cars...

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

lets make y59 twins :ph34r:  jk...

tae
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#95 pagemo

pagemo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

View Posttaeisallin, on 23 August 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

lets make y59 twins :ph34r:  jk...

tae

LOL dont think i havent considered it Tae! I do love a Y59!!
Posted Image
2006 Silver Magnum SRT 8

#96 D_Venable

D_Venable

Have you had your boost today?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

I say stay white, or go with the charcoal/gunmetal. And no racing stripes, maybe just some subtle pinstriping, keep it simple for the gullwing door to take all the attention.
2011 Silverado
85 Conquest aka DTHSTAR (215whp/251tq on a 12a at 15psi) RIP (for now)
88 TSI parts car
88 TSI SHP Durban Maroon 17C TD05H, MAFT, 9's all around, 13" brakes, MR2's with Anti-M's
Posted Image

#97 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Oh man....color would be such a tough decision. I love metallic blues which is why my first SQ had to be fiji. But there are so many other fijis and white cars running around, and this car deserves something completely unique. The Viper blue would be would be sweet, whatever you decide, just make sure that it will have enough contrast to show off the flares and lines of the SQ. I have always thought that the blue we paint the 00 car would look awesome on an SQ. here is a link: http://www.jayski.co.../2011/00cup.htm whatever you decide, the car is gonna be sick.

BC_99
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#98 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles, snowmobiling, four-wheeling, snowboarding, golf, billiards, bowling, forums, volleyball, Boston sports teams...Anything fun and mechanical.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Aha. When you said camaro I just assumed you meant the anemic v6 they put in the chick camaros, lol. The GTP motor is a stout one, not sure if it's the same motor with a SC or not but a buddy of mine had a GTP and that got along nicely. I'd be interested to hear it with a turbo, you usually can't hear the exhaust note over the SC whine when the GTP's are done up.

'89 Starion SHP...FIP MPI, 3" Exhaust, TEP Cam, Turbonetics 11021-BB T3/T4 Turbo, Treadstone Manifold, 75# injectors, Mookeeh Sway Bars, GC Coilovers, Saleen Replica Wheels, the list goes on...AND IT FINALLY RUNS!!!

http://i512.photobuc...pg?t=1339849860

#99 seanc77339

seanc77339

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Plum crazy (barracuda) would look cool or even deep blue pearl (skyline).

#100 taeisallin

taeisallin

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:rare cars...fast cars...old cars...
    get it? cars...

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

crome!! ??

tae
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users