2.0L Turbo Ecotec Solstice/Sky Swap!?!?!

LukeSTi

I will be purchasing a project Quest/Starion in about a year or so when I leave Hawaii to share the garage with my STi. I have been reading about the usual swaps for the Star/Quest for quite some time now. With the popularity of the Sky/Solstice growing has anyone considered a 2.0L Turbo Ecotec swap from one of these vehicles.

The Turbo is mounted on the passenger side much like the stock 2.6L. The upright TB/intake manifold combo on the Ecotec is on the Drivers side and is very compact. Plus, obviously it comes with a rear drive tranny unlike the more popular 4g63/64 bottom swap people have already completed.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/01/solsticegxp07_engine.jpg

I realize it is not a mitsu motor so there is some bastardization going on but the whole package looks like it would physically fit. Right now I am just fishing for input, if there is none perhaps I will give it a try and post up the results in a year and a half or so.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The curb weight of a standard Sky/Solstice is 2,892 lbs while the advertised weight of the Conquest/Starion is 2954, call it 2900 & 3000 lbs. I think the difference might be negligable. The sky/solstice is not as light as one might think.

As far as transmissions the 2.0L ecotec can be used with its stock Aisin 5-speed or the GM Tremec 6spd trannies. Of course I would need a custom driveshaft. GM Performance parts catalogue is a good source for Ecotec performance parts, my upgrades would more than likely only consist of cams, turbo manifold, turbo-back exhaust, intake, injectors, fuel pump, and ecu. All in all a reliable 350+ whp could be sourced from those simple mods. I think it could be a good start for the Conquest/Starion. I'm not looking to go crazy right away, I don't want to spend more than 20k on the completed vehicle.

Button you are right, aftermarket support is just starting to come about. They have finally cracked the ECU code on the 2.0l Turbo, but I won't be able to start for another 18months when I finally leave Hawaii. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Luke

Good Link. I have seen the Atom with a variety of engines, up till now I thought they only used Honda engines.

Yea, the Ecotec was an idea that I thought would be a little more feasable than the 4g63, namely because of its RWD application in the solstice and sky. For an engine swapper that would leave the tasks of mounting a different engine and tranny(which you have to do with the 4g anyway), fabbing up a drive shaft, and of course the wiring harness. That last one will be the tough nut to crack. I will probably go for a completely new stand-alone ecu. If I am going to splice and hack I might as well do it with an ECU I can tune as well.

But I have a lot of experience with the GM engines. The Ecotec's are surprisingly strong, well capable of handling 350+ hp on stock internals. And the GM performance parts catalog is teaming with parts for these things, thanks to the GM time attack Cobalt, and of course the 1200hp Ecotec drag cars. Which currently hold the Pro FWD 4cyl ET record. GM is not known for its 4cyl engines, however these are the "world" engines developed in conjunction with Saab and Opel.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not trying to burst your bubble in the least, just want to clear up a bit of information for you. There was a rear wheel drive application for the 4G63, older dodge/mitsubishi pickup trucks and our very own Starion in over-seas markets. It is a wideblock version of the 4G63 that is in the DSM's. While originally those engines are SOHC, the DOHC heads bolt right down onto the block. stock engine mounts are used, as is stock clutch, transmission, driveshaft, etc. Most people WAY over-complicate their 4G63 swap by using a DSM FWD block.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble in the least, just want to clear up a bit of information for you. There was a rear wheel drive application for the 4G63, older dodge/mitsubishi pickup trucks and our very own Starion in over-seas markets. It is a wideblock version of the 4G63 that is in the DSM's. While originally those engines are SOHC, the DOHC heads bolt right down onto the block. stock engine mounts are used, as is stock clutch, transmission, driveshaft, etc. Most people WAY over-complicate their 4G63 swap by using a DSM FWD block.

Ask me how I know this. :wink: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't read through all of this stuff, but as far as aftermarket. There is now a massive aftermarket for the ecotech. GM offers videos and everything on how to get the ecotech to x horsepower. They have parts books you can buy full of parts numbers for everything aftermarket you could think of. They're running 1000hp on stock block reliably in the drags. The motor is available in more than just the sky and solstice. The cobalt ss has the turbo ecotech as does a saturn I believe.

First things to do when getting it is replace the sleeves with stainless and replace the head and main bolts. Was told by many sources that the engine is basically indestructible after doing so.

Edited by Dustin

• 4 months later...

there was a stock one of these at the track the last time i went. only mod he had was a boost controller to turn up the factory boost.

he was running low 12's on street tires smokin them damn near the whole track. that thing sounded like it had 1000's in mods done to it. i couldnt believe it when i talked with him that it was stock.

i give this swap idea a big thumbs up!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to bump an old thread, but this is the only one of relevance I could find right off the bat.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2.2-liter Ecotec from my boss [we run a natural gas vehicle conversion/repair business] for $200, out of a wrecked, running 2004 Cavalier. As it is the CNG-version of the engine, it does have stainless valves and seats factory-equipped.

I'm looking into my options concerning the RWD layout. If I'm lucky enough, the FWD and RWD Ecotecs will share the same bellhousing pattern, and I'd be able to steal parts from the Sky/Solstice/G2X platform. At that note, a driveshaft and mounts would be the only mechanical parts left to fabricate. Engine management would be handled by a stand-alone management system.