• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles, snowmobiling, four-wheeling, snowboarding, golf, billiards, bowling, forums, volleyball, Boston sports teams...Anything fun and mechanical.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Well,

I've been around the forums for a while and save for commenting on other's builds and starting a higher-hp G54B build thread in Advanced Virtual Mechanic I haven't posted many of my own threads. Finally ready to post one up.

When I bought this car it was sold to me as an 89 Starion SHP, which I have since been able to verify. The previous owner purchased it as an 87 conquest and the VIN plate was missing so the NY DMV had to do some homework on hidden VINs to find its true identity. When I purchased it it had a conquest trunk and the key only opened the pass. door and ignition. Now I have all of the lock cylinders on one key and put some fresh paint on it. It's black base coat with bluegrass dry pearl mixed into the base clear. In low light it looks black, dark blue most of the time, and bluish purple-green in direct sunlight. Enough talking, here's a picture timeline of the last 2 years from purchase to its current state:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The car got both fenders replaced, rear quarters and wheel arches reconstructed, new header panel and grille, various dents and dings repaired, frame rails replaced...Still a few things to do but it's well on its way to being respectable and more importantly bringing a rare 89 back from the dead!!! :D

'89 Starion SHP...FIP MPI, 3" Exhaust, TEP Cam, Turbonetics 11021-BB T3/T4 Turbo, Treadstone Manifold, 75# injectors, Mookeeh Sway Bars, GC Coilovers, Saleen Replica Wheels, the list goes on...AND IT FINALLY RUNS!!!

http://i512.photobuc...pg?t=1339849860

#2 Komeuppance

Komeuppance

Amused.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts
  • Interests:Starions, and Starion accessories

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

Oh man, I thought this thread was going to fail hard without pics... LOL... but it needs morreeeee pics!!

Lookin' good.

-Robert

Posted Image

#3 Frenchi934

Frenchi934

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

very nice man!
Posted Image
My 89 QuestNon-oem bomber blue on light buckskin, D2 Coil-overs, Poly bushings, Tim C Screamin' Banshee Cam, Schneider Valve Springs, TD06sl2-18g(billet, revised design w/ extended tips) turbo,  M28 NJV head, 2g DSM MAF, Maf-T Gen2, Racetronix 1008/1680cc injectors, Bosch 044 Fuel Pump, Balance shafts/ ABS eliminated, Turbo Doorhandles, 83 Tails,SHP wheels, full 3" exhaust w/ dynomax straight through & divorced downpipe.
My 88 Quest LS1/T56 Swap, rack and pinion swap. [more to come]
My Starquest Club Feedback link! (post here if you have buyer/seller feedback for me)
My car on Racefriv.com

#4 dmyers151

dmyers151

Go-Kart Mozart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts
  • Interests:Toys & Candy

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well done. :)

Dig the wheels, and I know I've asked before, but are you running spacers? I've spec'd them out before and I was sure they'd fit without...

#5 DMNDSTAR87

DMNDSTAR87

THERMONUCLEAR WARRIOR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Handguns,Darts,
    Mopars and the NFL

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Pics usually do  not do justice to paints with flakes/pearls added but it is noticable----cant wait to see in person----I should be done with my suspension soon and would like to get a local meet happening or maybe meet at the dragway one night this summer----I will post something soon to get a meet of some sort happening---again looks good---maybe do some bowling(candlepin)---lol
gig out
Posted Image  Posted Image

87 ESI-r--Ported/Polished Marnal Njv head,ARP studs,JE 040pistons,+1mm S/S valves,H/D valve springs,match ported intake to T/B and head,52mm ported T/B and inj mixer,850cc/1600cc injectors powered by Acceleronics Versafueler,Degreed 274h cam w/adjustable custom camgear,Spearco 3.5" intercooler w/custom  2.25" hardpipes,MSD 2222 RRFPR, HKS Turbo XS bov mounted in I/C pipe,MBC,H/V oil pump,Walbro F/P,HRC TD06 "super" 20G compressor mated with a TD05H 10cm T3 turbine -extrudehoned,stress relieved and matchported exhaust mnfld,Innovative Lc-1 wdbnd,3"GM MAS w/MAF-T,AEM filter,MSD6AL ignition box,Bosch coil,BSE kit,lightened flywheel,TEP race clutch,Tep frontstrut bar,S/S hoses,A/C delete,ABS delete,EGR delete,Cruise delete,battery relocated to trunk,relay relocation,Whiteline bushings all around,MK1 adj. camber plates front/rear,ST lwr springs front/rear,ST swaybars front/rear,slotted rotors front and rear,s/s lines and bla bla bla--

#6 scott87star

scott87star

Established Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Nice!
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

#7 alp247

alp247

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

ah....fresh paint always makes the car look good when it's done right.  Looks good!

#8 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

El Diablo cazador trofeo de los hombres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

friggin SA WEET :D
Posted ImagePosted Image   MOPAR Powered
FLAT is where it's At  ............................................       one stock one not

#9 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles, snowmobiling, four-wheeling, snowboarding, golf, billiards, bowling, forums, volleyball, Boston sports teams...Anything fun and mechanical.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the positive comments all. The wheel specs are Mustang Saleen SC replicas, 17x9 front 17x10 rear and I'm currently running 3/4" spacers all around (I think, its been a while since I've seen the car, lol). If that's the case I'll be adding a little more in the rear to punch the wheels out as far as they can go, probably another quarter or half inch depending on how much rolling was done. The fronts fit perfectly though.

I'll post up a few more pics before/during and my only other "after" one...I'm picking the car up Sunday hopefully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's also worth noting that the car had been in an accident (unannounced to me) so he had to pull the frame back into alignment for the body panels to line up correctly. This car has been a constant PITA from day one (also from the winner of a previous owner who decided it was cool to strip the insulation off of half the wires in the car and just leave them that way...Most of the electronics don't work save for the climate control and lighting). But I love it, it's mine, and I'm keeping it.

'89 Starion SHP...FIP MPI, 3" Exhaust, TEP Cam, Turbonetics 11021-BB T3/T4 Turbo, Treadstone Manifold, 75# injectors, Mookeeh Sway Bars, GC Coilovers, Saleen Replica Wheels, the list goes on...AND IT FINALLY RUNS!!!

#10 traps

traps

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Conquest, 944, bikes n 4 wheelers, powerlifting and my family

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Its all worth it aint it man?Hell yea looks good. I am redoing all the internals then the outside...threads like this keep me going watching others work and sweat. Looks awesome, keep driving it!
Lee N Eng
87 TSI fresh rebuild .20 over, NJV M28, BSE, Schnieder springs,  gasket matched port n polished intake/exhaust manifolds, 1G mas, 3SX aluminum crank pully, LSP 52mm TBI, RRFPR, LSP SS lines, all silicon vac lines, MSD Blaster 2 coil,  *DM aluminum full  HP kit and IC, *DM 2.5DP to mendrel straight pipes, Turbo XS, AEM EUGO, AEM FP, ProSport Boost gauge, ACT clutch, 240mm lightened flywheel, *DM 14B....and needs lots more stuff D2's waiting of floor and other stuff need to buy....never ends

#11 Crazy larry

Crazy larry

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Cool Cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Good Work.. and lot's of it..  Very Nice
87 Atlantic blue v-8   89 Fiji blue unmolested stock low mileage.  Daily driver 87 Black.    88 white Drift car..

#12 SOTTY

SOTTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts
  • Interests:VEGAS BABY !!!!!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Very nice mang , looks like a different car now , sharp, very very sharp ! :)
Winning at U.S hot rod and classic car shows with a Mitsubishi since 2009

#13 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Very nice looking. Dark-navy blue should have been a factory option color back in the day.
88 Fiji Blue-Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, MK1 silicone hoses, hard pipes, Cosmo intake, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM TruBoost
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#14 claurance2

claurance2

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Nice man real nice
88 tsi TD05h 18g@21lbs,bse,jv removed,1gmas,ahp,chromed ovcp w/bov,dp, 2.5 exhaust and more coming soon :)

#15 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks all. Here's the speed shape from the color I picked, it should look like this in certain light:

Posted Image

#16 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Picked it up today and it looks great. Decided I'm removing the spring perches I think...Then I'll be happy with the height. Anyone know of anything special I need to do for that? Either way, here are the pics I took...My camera is disappointing.

Here she is, in all her glory:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Put the tint on the side markers and front fog/turn signals first thing when I got it home. Can't wait to drive it but there's some serious work between here and there.

#17 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

nice car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i hope mine looks that good after i fix about 30 dime size ding dents............

#18 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I dont understand why you would put that very out of place looking plate above the muffler tip. It really takes away from the paint job, which is very nice otherwise.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but a.) surely your car does not smoke that bad and b.) surely you will wash your car regularly thus a build up of any kind would not be an issue.

#19 polarisman14

polarisman14

DRIFTIN'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

^^Don't think you really get the reasoning behind it for my specific application. Yeah, it keeps soot from building up, but in my case, the previous owner put an exhaust on that was about 6" too short or so and it ruined the bumper cover and the crash foam under it (bubbled it up and wrinkled it). I didn't feel like replacing all of that and the look I am after is more toward a drift car so over-the-top accents like that aren't out of character.

#20 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Im liking it, Very nice work!! Even the exhaust shield seems to fit with your theme nicely. Great Job!!!

BC_99
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users