Removing the hatch "wing"

speedyquest

Has anyone removed the part of the 3 piece wing from the hatch without damaging it before? I currently have some plans for something and this will be necessary to do so I'm just looking for info ahead of time. Im hoping maybe one of the body work guys *cough* Burton *cough* or someone else will have some experiences to share.

Thanks

Allen

The lead ends of the sides have a plastic plug clip the rest has nuts on studs. You have to remove all the trim in the back to remove those including the hatch inside trim and then you'll see all the nuts that hold them on. You can't just take them off, every bolt hole on the sides has huge depression in the fender for what's molded on the spoiler to lay in and the stud from it to go through. The hatch will just have holes in it.

yeah...if you used a putty knife to cut that adhesive first that wouldn't have happened.....

If you mean me, I wasn't trying to save it as it had developed rust (hence where it easily bent). Just wanted to see what the hatch would look like w/o the spoiler. Definitely cut it as you can damage the fiberglass hatch section below that it is applied to by prying only.

• Like 1

Well this is rather informative, I wasnt aware that the wing itself wasn't part of the piece below it, meaning the part seen in the picture above. So to extend my question... has anyone ever removed that part of the hatch from the glass as well?

I know I know, I'm asking a lot lol

Allen