AC Compressor Clutch turns on and off

Jehu

Any ideas on why it would act this way? I filled it up to about 20psi and it was working ok but not quite cold enough (just cool). According to the instructions, it should be between 35-45psi so I got another can. But when I started the car to add the extra can, the clutch won't stay engaged long enough to really put that additional freon in.

The system has been retrofitted to 134 if it matters. It is like it is stuck on economy mode but it's not getting cold (it does cool the air some...but not enough to really be affective).

What would make the compressor turn on for maybe a second and then off for like 3-5 seconds?

I was poking around down there under the dash earlier and noticed a blue 2 wire connector all by its lonesome. Any idea what that is from?

Any pics or info on this freeze temp sensor? Where can I get one? Would an 87 work?

I was poking around down there under the dash earlier and noticed a blue 2 wire connector all by its lonesome. Any idea what that is from?

Any pics or info on this freeze temp sensor? Where can I get one? Would an 87 work?

no, that connector goes to the temp sensor located in the trim panel under the glove box. The freeze sensor is above that. It's 2 yellow wires with a blue sheath and white connector. It pokes into the evap box on the firewall side at the connection point to the heater box. It's right behind the light controller. Look in the FSM and that will give you a resistance chart to test it with.

do you have any idea of what port your trying to charge into,,high side or low side,, and some times you do have to jumper the low press swt to alow engought of a charge to enter the system but do not leave it that way

the system only holds 28-32 oz of r134 , and the fans MUST be runing at all times (all 3)

It was the low side...jumper the low pressure switch, huh? I've never had an issue refilling before. The compressor has always activated and stayed on while the can was connected.

It was the low side...jumper the low pressure switch, huh? I've never had an issue refilling before. The compressor has always activated and stayed on while the can was connected.

That's what I always understood you would do in order to keep it from cycling - which is it's natural state. When it's low enough it won't kick on at all and when it's just partially discharged it cycles too frequently.

Any ideas on why it would act this way? I filled it up to about 20psi and it was working ok but not quite cold enough (just cool). According to the instructions, it should be between 35-45psi so I got another can. But when I started the car to add the extra can, the clutch won't stay engaged long enough to really put that additional freon in.

The system has been retrofitted to 134 if it matters. It is like it is stuck on economy mode but it's not getting cold (it does cool the air some...but not enough to really be affective).

What would make the compressor turn on for maybe a second and then off for like 3-5 seconds?

Jehu,

You may have a defective expansion valve...that may be fun to replace. However, I would go the easier route of replacing (if they are the originals) the dual pressure switch's, receiver drier and make sure the temp sensor (highest one on the thermostat housing is good (PN #TS333, rock auto). Since the system does cycle on, the clutch relay is working. Do a thorough system evac to ensure the system has no leaks. If it does leak, more than likely just some old o-rings that need to be replaced or A/C hoses tightened up.