Dyno day

StarquestRescue

I was the last car to dyno, and i tuned a little between runs. It was $50 for 3 runs, burgers were free and i go a free t-shirt. :D I made 5 runs, and could of made another, but i quit while i was ahead.

Best Hp = 258, best Tq = 324.

First 3 runs @19 psi. last 2 at 20-20.5 psi. Run 8 is the only one it did not break up on after 5000 rpm.

Bob Brady was on me to lean it out, and i did, but i like to move in small steps. There is more in the turbo, but i was up against some issues with erratic air flow signal at higher rpm, and afr that seems to jump rich when the duty cycle goes past 85%. I may be able to get around that by leaning it out, but with the air flow signal jumping around it is difficult to dial in the afr. I do not have a lot of tune time on the 2G mas, 2 secondary, re flashed afc Neo setup yet.

Mods at the time.

88 TSI 19c ported turbine housing and exhaust manifold. Marnel head, arp studs, factory head gasket, 7 to 1 compression Modified tep down pipe. Rob Kruger 2.5 exh with cat. Tep intercooler & otvc pipe. 2G mas, 2 Secondarys and bumped up fuel pressure. Tuned with reflashed afc Neo (program version 1.104). Rear 9s. Lightened flywheel & Bosch "350" fuel pump. Bse and ac delete. Innovated X16 wideband and two SSI4 logger boxes.

I did have about %40 unleaded race gas in it, but some braver souls have done similar #'s on pump.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/DSC01801.jpg

First run of the day. (run 5)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/untitled1st.jpg

Run 9

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/untitled-1.jpg

Edited by StarquestRescue

When did you start to get on it?

It looks like it comes on a bit late.

The peak hp not bad at all that the stock cam?

This is a ported 14g 20-21psi stock injection, 1g mass, 2.5in ex, non jet valve head, ported ex manifold

http://www.26liter.us/forum/Garage/uploads/cache/garage_gallery_617923940.jpg

Edited by TainterRacing

When did you start to get on it?

It looks like it comes on a bit late.

The peak hp not bad at all that the stock cam?

We started the runs at 2500. Full boost was achieved at 3750-3800 rpm. Right where the torque peaked.

Nice TBI numbers, sounds like you had a good time! I'm sure there is more in your setup but I don't blame you for not wanting to make drastic changes.

Where did you dyno at?

I think there is another 20-25 in it, with a leaner tune and a little more boost. Remember my car has a 2.5 exhaust and cat. I have some 3" stuff here i need to get on.

Serpentkiller was going to come with the supra car, but his trans went the night before. There is a shop about a mile away. You need to get your car back together.

Nice numbers

Im with you on it haveing more I did similar numbers on a smaller turbo on 93 gas and on a mustang dyno.

I have some of the same problems that you ran into with it breaking up in the higher rpms. I had mine tuned by a pro and he thinks that its interference of some sort in the higher rpm ranges. He said that I should try to shield all the wiering going back to the ecu to see if that would help out. Next time you get on a dyno you should just jump on it and see where your power is. On mine I was hiting 300tq by 2500 rpms.

How do you like the 2G mas? Im running mine with the 3 inch maf and maft and it seams to work well.

Congrats on the great numbers its nice to see more tbi cars making good power.

You should definately check the wastegate linkage and maybe tighten it up. When I had mine many moons ago. (stock block TBI setup with hardpipes, 2.5 ex, 1GMAS) It was a lagger like what your dyno graph is showing. turned out the wastegate linkage had too much slack and was set slightly open. I tightened it up to not crack til 18psi which would momentarily spike to 22psi and settle to 18psi. It was wicked. But, I was seeing that boost in the 3000rpm range. not saying you should make it that tight.

But anyways, just a thought. Check your wastegate linkage. maybe bring it in a few turns.

Couldnt tell if you are logging IAT but I know that once your over 18psi that 19C blows HOT!

phil

Edited by phinko

There is a shop about a mile away. You need to get your car back together.

I can't agree more! I screwed up a control arm bolt during reassembly over the weekend so I'm trying to find those. But other than that it's drivable. Then I get to see what happens with the H2O/Meth since it's all hooked up now and should be ready to go.

Dyno is at the top of my To Do list as soon as I get it back on the road.

Next time you get on a dyno you should just jump on it and see where your power is. On mine I was hiting 300tq by 2500 rpms.

How do you like the 2G mas? Im running mine with the 3 inch maf and maft and it seams to work well.

Congrats on the great numbers its nice to see more tbi cars making good power.

I like the 2G. Here is a good read on the issues i found with the 1g and stock. http://www.*DMperformance.com/showthread.php?t=4808 I also have seen evidence that air hard pipes make the air flow signal more erratic.

I did not think staring the run sooner would have made much difference. In the past i have had problems trying to boost from down low and did not want to waste a run. Thanks on the #'s. I was pretty happy, but i know there is more in it.

You should definately check the wastegate linkage and maybe tighten it up. When I had mine many moons ago. (stock block TBI setup with hardpipes, 2.5 ex, 1GMAS) It was a lagger like what your dyno graph is showing. turned out the wastegate linkage had too much slack and was set slightly open. I tightened it up to not crack til 18psi which would momentarily spike to 22psi and settle to 18psi. It was wicked. But, I was seeing that boost in the 3000rpm range. not saying you should make it that tight.

But anyways, just a thought. Check your wastegate linkage. maybe bring it in a few turns.

Couldnt tell if you are logging IAT but I know that once your over 18psi that 19C blows HOT!

phil

Yes i could probably tighten that up a little. Not logging IAT yet, i do have two input channels left. Last time i was checking the back side off the inter cooler and the heat only made it 3/4 of the way across. Any thing bigger than a stock turbo can benefit from an intercooler up grade. Edited by StarquestRescue

Link to the last time i dynoed. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82526

What i was looking for from the 2g was a tune that would run great on a cool mourning, and drive home in a hot afternoon with out the afr drifting out of whack. So far i am real happy with it. The signal is still a little choppy, i an going to try a baffle in the ahp.

I actually had a 3G mas on it for a week, it ran ok, but no better than the 2G, so i went back to a more proven tune for the dyno.

For the newbies, you need a way to add 20-25% more fuel to run the 2g.

Whats your fuel pressure at ideal?

I do not know. The car could idle better, it hunts back and forth a little. I may try and reset it again and see if i can get it better. The injector could probably stand to be cleaned. I went thur 3 850's and 1 1000. All leaked on the out side. finally the second 1000 stayed dry on the out side.