Ebay STARQUESTS (our cars are doing well!)

nah .....listing an item on ebay for high prices isn't "doing well"...especially considering only one of the listings you posted even has a bid...and that one has less than 18 hours left with no chance of it reaching its $9k reserve

it's simply over optimistic people trying to sell something no is willing to buy at those prices

Edited by Walker

Why owners of these car think like that? Their is no reason our cars shouldn't be worth those prices. Compare them to all other cars made at the same time. All get higher prices then we do and all had ALOT higher production numbers . Why is the rarest car the cheapest.....unfortunately this forum is to blame.. And the ones that say rare doesn't make it valuable BS it don't . Ever rare car that had low production number has a high resale
  • Like 1

Galant vr4 doesn't, tredia doesn't, cordia doesn't, colt gts twin stick doesn't. Its not rarity. All those cars are more rare than the starquest and only one of them get reasonable sale value.

Supply and demand run the market. The suppy is avg and the demand is low.

We as owners need to take pride in these cars and restore them and the values will go up. Its an underated car with a lot of upside. I get stopped all the time in socal and people love the car. I have been offered money on several occassions and turn it down. Its allabout us as an ownership group. These cars will go up in price down the road.

Why owners of these car think like that? Their is no reason our cars shouldn't be worth those prices. Compare them to all other cars made at the same time. All get higher prices then we do and all had ALOT higher production numbers . Why is the rarest car the cheapest.....unfortunately this forum is to blame.. And the ones that say rare doesn't make it valuable BS it don't . Ever rare car that had low production number has a high resale

I completely agree my friend!

A friend of mine purchased a BMW 1 series M in 2011 (yes! the 1M!) only 740 units made for the US market. He payed $58k new in early 2011. He drove and enjoyed it until last weekend when he TRAIDED it in at his local BMW dealership for a new 2014 M3. do you know how much he got for it as a TRADE IN after 3 years of use and 12K miles?.....he got $63K!....comes to show that rare cars do gain value!

Edited by dmdvzla

I see clean unmodified honda's going for more then SQ'S. They made more honda's in one year then all six years for SQ'S. I was offered to sell my car tonight. I was asked how much? I said your e46 M3. He said no way! I said find another one!

Look what clean 7m supra's are going for. Hell mustang's get more for nice ones then we do. And dont say they arent popular. I hear all the time from strangers about how quick they were. We as a community should be setting the price not driving them down. Yes some cars arent worth much more then $2k. But we should also demand higher prices for the clean/rare option cars.

I myself would love to buy SQ's for $500 and lower but I cant store cars all over my yard or I would. My last car I bought, yes its my personal unicorn but I payed $2800 for a clean one onwer, 100% stock 81k that didnt run. It was only the fuel pump, but it could have bein much worse and I knew that. It took 9yrs for the right car to come along and I felt it was worth the agreed price

The only way a supply side is going to have any chance of dictating (i.e. "artificially inflating") price is if the suppliers have a monopoly/oligarchy market structure with no feasable substitution product. I don't see that happening for our cars for 100 or so years. Until then, good old supply and demand rules are the boss and demand is not high enough over supply to raise prices.at this time. So either we, as suppliers start crushing these cars to lower supply or we have to wait until the natural supply dwindles through entropy or demand goes up for some reason. Edited by averse

100k over 6yrs is not high supply. And only way demand is kept low would be this site and not showing/driving ours cars as much as possible.

What I believe kepts demand low is the reputation these cars have. 15yrs ago it was blown headgaskets and now its poorly mantained cars not lasting. Both of which have nothing to do with the car it self. Its the cars fault the headgasket blew? Its the cars fault it doesnt run right after 25 plus years?

For me, i like the way the car looks, it is fun to drive and has more then enough power for it's size, also handles and stops very well.I could have picked many other cars over this one, but did so because it was not a mainstream car. I also don't mind working on it so having to maintain its constant quirks is not a big deal. If over time it goes up in value, then fine, if not, that's fine too. I did not buy this as an investment but as something to enjoy. I've done the collector car thing for many years, and did not enjoy those cars as much, this is more of a hobby.

I find it interesting that people are willing to list their SQs as "all original" when clearly the whole car...and wheels have been repainted. Or "excellent condition" when the interior is falling apart. Or "clean car" and apparently they don't own a vacuum and the engine bay looks like the car was just pulled from the ocean. I'll take a few more miles for car that has been cared for then less miles and half dead.

I agree with the last few posts. I won best interior last year at the mesquite meet. Im entering my car at this years JCCS at the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Our cars are fun to drive and look very unique. If everyone starts taking pride in them and works on the quirks they will become more desirable

Been saying it for years! Don't know whether this forum is "the cause?" but it certainly doesn't help when StarQuest owners themselves continue to advocate to lower the worth of their vehicles. Just doesn't make sense to me. MHO

Now... that "Cosworth" listed is really quite interesting, wish there were more pics, & it was in this country. Really kinda kool!

Edited by kidjc

• 3 weeks later...
It seems the only way to get top dollar on these cars is to post them on E-bay, as the clean red 1987 Conquest from Wisconsin with low miles and aftermarket sunroof sold for $7,500.00, and the guy could not find a buyer on this site for $5000.00. Just Saying.