Hood vents or scoops

badtoad

Id like to know what everyone is using for venting them underhood temps. I have found it difficult to find a vent that looked half way good.I was looking through the junk yard today and came across a 1984 300zx turbo that still had the factory scoop on it.So i snatched it up, its rare to find one anyhow. I think it looks decent on the starion.

Post up what you've got and what it came off of.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/badtoad/Picture452.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/badtoad/Picture456.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/badtoad/Picture455.jpg

Edited by badtoad

The Z scoop looks pretty good there Bob.

I'm probably going with the stamped louver look, really popular with rat rods but can looj on-point if done right. Check out the Rx7s in this link, http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/07/07/gallery-gt-gt-22c-works-celebrates-rx7-day.aspx , my '79 Rx7 had tye same louvers as the black one with the white lip (6th one from the top), and I thought it looked properly evil.

If under hood temps are causing issues, you have other problems to deal with.

No one said they were causing issues. Just that he was looking for a way to vent some of it. This things do get hot under that hood, especially in these high-temp, desert states.

No one said they were causing issues. Just that he was looking for a way to vent some of it. This things do get hot under that hood, especially in these high-temp, desert states.

I've been running vent-less in 105 temps here the last month with no "excessive" heat under the hood. Running right they do not get any hotter than a normal car under there.

The cheapest way to go is to throw some washers between the hinges and hood. Looks ghetto but works.

I've been running vent-less in 105 temps here the last month with no "excessive" heat under the hood. Running right they do not get any hotter than a normal car under there.

The cheapest way to go is to throw some washers between the hinges and hood. Looks ghetto but works.

Do you have a vent or a scoop on your car? If not then go away. A vent helps no matter what and they look cool.

Do you have a vent or a scoop on your car? If not then go away. A vent helps no matter what and they look cool.

Dude, you need to settle down. I have been there and done that. I used to have heat issues and I chopped a hole in a 83 hood as an extractor vent which looked good and functioned very well. I have a bit of experience here. Just because I am not saying what you want hear does not give you the right to tell me what to do.

Here is what I did.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/Repairs/S4021134.jpg

And for your information there are areas where putting a vent will be detrimental and not help at all. Such as this vent I put in is a bad idea to drive in the rain as it funnels right in on the hot exhaust manifold. NOT good.

Look into some of the aerodynamic studies on these cars and you will see what will and will not work. Extractor vents work well while moving, utilizing low pressure zones while your scoop type typically just blows more hot air under the car. Neither of these are very effective for just letting heat escape while sitting at idle.

Granted some heat will escape but not enough to make it effective.

Now all that said, if the car is running right there is no need for a functional vent. The factory scoop and vents were not even functional.

Now, spacing the rear of the hood with washers is very effective for allowing hot air to escape at idle or standstill.

Dude, you need to settle down. I have been there and done that. I used to have heat issues and I chopped a hole in a 83 hood as an extractor vent which looked good and functioned very well. I have a bit of experience here. Just because I am not saying what you want hear does not give you the right to tell me what to do.

Here is what I did.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/Repairs/S4021134.jpg

And for your information there are areas where putting a vent will be detrimental and not help at all. Such as this vent I put in is a bad idea to drive in the rain as it funnels right in on the hot exhaust manifold. NOT good.

Look into some of the aerodynamic studies on these cars and you will see what will and will not work. Extractor vents work well while moving, utilizing low pressure zones while your scoop type typically just blows more hot air under the car. Neither of these are very effective for just letting heat escape while sitting at idle.

Granted some heat will escape but not enough to make it effective.

Now all that said, if the car is running right there is no need for a functional vent. The factory scoop and vents were not even functional.

Now, spacing the rear of the hood with washers is very effective for allowing hot air to escape at idle or standstill.

Feel the need to jump in and say that they now make "hood bumps" especially for this, in any color you want, and they cost about as much as a packet of washers. ;)

A few guys around here have had the 280zx turbo scoops, one set of which came off my buddy's wrecked 280. I'm following this thread to get ideas for a scoop or vent, just because I want something a little unique. I like D_Veneble's the best so far. B)

(A few guys around here have had the 280zx turbo scoops, one set of which came off my buddy's wrecked 280. I'm following this thread to get ideas for a scoop or vent, just because I want something a little unique. I like D_Veneble's the best so far.)

^^^^^^^This is the whole point of this thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by badtoad

(A few guys around here have had the 280zx turbo scoops, one set of which came off my buddy's wrecked 280. I'm following this thread to get ideas for a scoop or vent, just because I want something a little unique. I like D_Veneble's the best so far.)

^^^^^^^This is the whole point of this thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*bows* ^_^

my hood is inspired by a Ferrari 599xx, it gets to 105 here in the summer and all last summer I ran nothing but my secondary fan. As long as I was going at least 10 mph it cooled my radiator. My car was a boost fiend at night, the cold air that ran through the front definitely made it to the air box.

EDIT:mostly from what I have read, lifting the back of the hood makes suction at the bottom of the engine bay causing air flow through the radiator to cease all together and air to be pulled from underneath the car. This scenario makes your fans work twice as hard to cool your radiator. If you are going to do anything similar to this get a cowl induction hood, the rise that is way at the front creates suction at the front of the engine bay making it effective, lifting just the back of a stock hood only creates suction at the back of the hood.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/P5300088.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/P6110102.JPG

Edited by mistapickles

fiberglass cowl hood with Trans Am GTA hood vents molded in...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/6-13-09-a_052.jpg

Runs cooler than an OEM hood, but hotter than when I ran no hood at all.

Edited by Burton

Why are you reading in more than I'm saying? I never said "excessive"; No one said excessive. No ever said the high temps were causing issues. I said they get hot, which is true. My 'Quest's bay runs quite a bit hotter that any of my other cars. The engine itself runs at a fine temp, but the bay is hotter than my other cars. It has a radiator in the bay and a hot turbocharger, of course it is going to be hot in there. Nothing wrong with trying to shed some of that heat. The heat cooks plastics and rubbers.

I don't understand why things are treated so negatively all of the time. It is even more astounding when such folks have great material to add to the discussion. I'm not sure the vents will get rid of a lot of heat, but even misplaced ones probably won't hurt.

105 with humidity it is quiet different than 105 without. I know you recently moved from Colorado, but even where you were you had over twice the rainfall we get down here. While to a person humid temperature seems worse, since we cool down via evaporation. To car it is the opposite, since they cool down vie the thermal capacity of the medium. Humid air can take a lot of heat.

Actually, I think I may record just how hot my engine bays are as it is sort of an interesting subject. I'll have to wait until our monsoon season is over though. It is just about to start, so my measurements could be pretty flawed.

Hey, Pickles. So, your hood... Is it gloss now or flat black? The exhaust coming out of the rear fender is cool.

it's still flat black, when I re primed my car I didn't do the hood because I had some body work to do on it, so what you are seeing is porous primer holding water, while the new primer lets it roll off. And the exhaust is loud....but I love it.

• 4 weeks later...