Idle air controller

So Im running a FIP system that has been modded at least twice by Scott87star. While it runs good, it idles low when cold. I can pull the vacuum line off the intake manifold, the idle goes right up. So thinking I can get an another air bypass valve like the one Scott used for the boost controller.

20150405_164849.jpg

Then I could wire that up to the ECU and plumb it into the manifold, to bleed air in until a set temp. Anybody run something like this? Or can Scott step in with a suggestion?

Thanks, John

That is a very common thing to do John, give it a shot. It will work just fine, you can tune the amount of air by the size of the fitting you stick in the solenoid.

I think i am pre wired for this too since my my last super scott upgrade.... maybe a small hydraulic make up tank filter would do nicely.

Interesting. I wonder if my setup should go this route. I was going to look for a pulse width modulated Ford t/b and let the ms3 control idle...

That is what i did with my project.

96 ford explorer 5.0 Throttle-body is what you need since it has the IAV on the Throttle-body already

You will have to mount it upside down or else your hood will not close.

this will put the throttle wheel on the valve cover side.

You will need a bracket for the throttle cable

Get a throttle wheel.

My car starts up like a regular car in cold and idles down as it should.

No reason why any of us should not be running an IAV at this level in the game

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/lionbull1/hood%20cant%20close%20Mustang%20TB%20upright.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/lionbull1/Mustang%20TB%20no%20IAV.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/lionbull1/Rotated%20Mustang%20TB%20no%20IAV.jpg

Best Regards

Edited by lionbull
  • Like 1

DIYautotune has them about as cheap as anyone: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ebc-electronic-boost-control-solenoid-kit-p-285.html

They are a three way valve so you can plumb it either normally open or closed, whichever you prefer.

Cool, thanks Scott, I will get one on order. Nice write up too Lion, but I dont want to redesign my throttle setup. I think this solution will work good enough, especially since it just a "toy" car anyway and only gets driven a few times a year.

Cool, thanks Scott, I will get one on order. Nice write up too Lion, but I dont want to redesign my throttle setup. I think this solution will work good enough, especially since it just a "toy" car anyway and only gets driven a few times a year.

No Prob.

I already figured you were not going that way so i posted in reply to what JohnnyWadd was considering to try.

Why dont people just use electronic throttle bodies now? Get a GM pedal and pedal position sensor to run the TB. Has idle control built in.

It's called Liability, no one without the deep pockets of an OEM is even trying to run those. The OEM stuff is already twice redundant with error trapping and still no support.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running these type valves for IAC.

Problem I've found is that the valve generally takes a 1/8npt fitting. Most times this size valve has a 1/16 orifice and its not enough to allow enough air to raise the rpm by more then maybe 100-200 rpm. I found that I wanted closer to 250-300 rpm increase so I added a second valve giving the effect of having a 1/8 orifice. Sure this can be achieved by simply using a valave with a larger orifice to begin with.

However this made me think about running two or three valaves and having them open until x temp then closing one valve, at a few more degrees it closes another and lowers the rpm some more.

Trouble is that I haven't found a way to control multiple valves in this manor.

Anyone know how to do this?

• 2 months later...